Air vs. Nitrogen

slug

Guest Mattress

Um..cough.... You can trust me in this if nothing else- I do have a PhD in chemistry.

WEll can you explain women to us? Why do they have different chromosomes? Are they o.k.?

Once I was with a girl, and her *stuff* started talking. I couldn't understand everything but she seemed to say" dial the operator on the little pink phone". when I did she wouldn't leave me alone....said I was too laid back for her..................but her breath was cut short in chaps....like oh yeah...

Um..cough....bullshit....cough. You can trust me in this if nothing else- I do have a PhD in chemistry.

That may sound reasonable, so far, but what's about the behaviour of pure gases compared to that of mixtures of them?

Have you heard anything about such differences on the way to your PhD?

Hubert

Ever since I was a small kid I've inflated things other than my ego with air from a pump. When I was small it was a hand pump. Nowadays it's a sodding great big mechanized compressor.

Never, ever, have I had any problems with my tyres unless a.) their co-efficient of friction with the surface they were passing over was overwhelmed, (roughly translated this means I fell off.) not the stuff in the tyre's fault. Or, b.) the gas in the tyre escaped due to a Hagan or other sharp object encroaching on the wretched bit of rubber's ability to keep the gas inside.

Oddly enough I don't roam the streets of Bungendore looking for highly corrosive gasses to blow my wheels up with. Nor do I worry unduly about what size the molecules that make up the gas in the tyre, or indeed the mixture of those gasses. The ones that I breathe seem to keep me alive in a manner of speaking and call me Mr. Stupid but I reckon a piece of highly modified vulcanised rubber substitute is probably a lot tougher than my lungs, even after nearly 40 years of smoking a pack a day.

for this reason I couldn't give a fat rat's arse about the relative merits of what you put in your tyres. You can inflate them with bloody KY jelly for all I care but I'll bet a hamburger joint full of hamsters that it won't make the tiniest iota of difference :bbblll::grin:

Pete

If you're riding the bike at all, the tires won't last long enough for any physical change caused by either air or nitrogen. Fill 'em with helium if you want - they'll be flat in days. Helium is the smallest molecule we've got next to hydrogen. Seeps right through stuff. That's why the preferred balloon used for parties etc is the metallic ones. The helium seeps through slower. Still goes flat. There was a huge thread (humor) on synthetic air a few years back on one of the forums. Right up there with synthetic blinker fluid. I'm guessing this thread will pass likewise in a few days... :mg:

On thanksgiving day, I bought a mylar helium balloon for my daughter- it's still floating, although barely. A regular rubber balloon would have been dead the next day. I had no idea that infants liked balloons so much, but it's kept her entertained for days.

Better ballooning through chemistry!

Dinitrogen is the same size as dioxygen. Dinitrogen has the same compression characteristics as dioxygen anywhere near "normal earth" conditions.

Though the difference is small, I'm sure the molecules are not identical in size. It's been too many years since I took P Chem to recall what the distance is between these nuclei, or any others for that matter, and I'm too lazy to crack my old textbooks. Is it possible the bonding energies are such that the N2 molecules are actually larger than the more massive O2 as some have claimes?

for this reason I couldn't give a fat rat's arse about the relative merits of what you put in your tyres. You can inflate them with bloody KY jelly for all I care but I'll bet a hamburger joint full of hamsters that it won't make the tiniest iota of difference :bbblll::grin:

I prefer my KY jelly blood free, but I'll take what I can get.

I was sceptical, but I did what you said to my front tire and got some virgin blood from a willing donor and spent three hundred and thirty six dollars and change on KY jelly. The front now probably weighs about fifteen pounds more than with plain old pump air. I rode around the block and it started squishing out the sides, and then I slid out and broke some asphalt with my face :wacko: So, I figure I need some air in the bloody ky jelly mix to pressurize the tire bead against the wheel wall to hold in the blood and jelly.

I squished in as much bloody jelly as I could and then I pumped it up to 34PSI. Then I cleaned the excess jelly off the tire...good thing it is water soluable. And then I went for a ride, and you know what, you were right, I could not tell the difference. :bier:

After I do the rear tire, I can brag to all my friends that fill my tires with bloody KY Jelly.

KY Jelly, $749, bloody virgin, $3000, bragging right of a P. Roper solution in my bike, PRICELESS. B)