Failure update

staedtler

Staedtler's V11 Sport 2003-2006 RIP

-_-

sxsw072.jpg

it was so devastating I've had to "take some time off", sorry for keeping y'all waiting...

to make a long story short....it's a blown motor... haul'n ass w/o due oil changes... -_-

it needs a new motor, is going to cost more than 5 g's to rebuild...i can't afford it -_-

i guess i'll have to part it out

it was nice been part of this forum...i guess is farewell...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

to make a long story short....it's a blown motor... haul'n ass w/o due oil changes... -_-

it needs a new motor, is going to cost more than 5 g's to rebuild...i can't afford it -_-

i guess i'll have to part it out

it was nice been part of this forum...i guess is farewell...

Sincere condolences, Staedtler. Be honest now -- how bad was it -- how long since last oil change & how low did the level get? There may be some who could stand to benefit from hearing it. -_-

Guest Gary Cheek

Oh wow! :( So sorry to hear that one. I do have a complete 2001 Cal engine. Should be able to get all the needed parts from it. The rest could be parted out and the cost should be minimal.

I hope you will reconsider parting out the bike. That would be a shame. Like putting a good dog to sleep.

Buuuut..... IF you do I would be interested in the fuel tank, the seat latch (the one that holds the seat down) and the old engine bits.

Still hoping you go the fix it route!

Guest Mattress

Bummer dude. Sorry to hear that. It is kinda hard to believe though that your engine got that trashed from your description to the point that it is **totally** blown. Did the guy give you details? Seized pistons, spun bearings, cracked block, etc?

Maybe the dealer just looked at it with the sump off and decided it was too much of a mess to deal with. 5gs sounds high.

Guest Gary Cheek

Say , That motor is a snap to remove. Why don't you get it out, ship it this way and I'll give it the going over. I'm betting waaay less than a grand will get you a fresh like engine. I'm no trying to make any cheese here , labor donated . All it will cost you is my cash outa pocket. I sure hate to see you let her go. That pic of yours with the hat on the seat is darn near a tear jerker with the recent news on the engine.

Think twice, ride more.

I find it hard to believe that the whole motor is donald ducked? One moment you were riding along. Next it made the dogga-dogga noise and was stopped pretty much immediately. Worst case scenario is new crank, mains and big ends and re-size rods surely? The cam hasn't seized in the block has it?

Before you go parting it out I'd REALLY recommend taking the engine to bits and seeing how bad it really is. If the bloke who looked at it has simply taken the sump off and pulled the rod caps then it may well look worse than it actually is. Surely you have a mate who can help you do that? Guzzi big block engines are delightfully simple and only require a very few tools to take to bits.

Pete

Say , That motor is a snap to remove. Why don't you get it out, ship it this way and I'll give it the going over. I'm betting waaay less than a grand will get you a fresh like engine. I'm no trying to make any cheese here , labor donated . All it will cost you is my cash outa pocket. I sure hate to see you let her go. That pic of yours with the hat on the seat is darn near a tear jerker with the recent news on the engine.

Think twice, ride more.

I know that Gary and I don't see eye to eye on very much but this is a generous offer, I've got a few 2nd hand main bearings that are useable knocking around and I'm pretty sure I've even got a pair of 1100 rods knocking about somewhere if they're needed. Dunno about shells? I think I might have a set of 2nd undersize ones somewhere.

My guess is that the heads will be fine, barrels and pistons will be fine, cam will be fine, followers might look a bit daggy but other than that.......? Unless a rod tried to escape and cut the cam in two I can't see it being a 5 grand job?

Pete

Think twice, ride more.

Wow! Gary is offering you a sweet deal. A true brother. You gotta fix it.

If you really do part it out, I'll take the tail section & seat cowl. But think again - fix it!

Guest Gary Cheek

Gary...are you for real? would you do that? :notworthy:

Of course I meant it. PM me and I'll give you an address to ship to. When it gets here I'll tear it down and give you an honest estimate of damages. As soon as I get the word we'll get the thing on it's way. Sounds like Bro Pete may be able to help as well. Are you game?

Please don't take it any further down than you have and try to put that back as much as possible before shipping.

Please don't take it any further down than you have and try to put that back as much as possible before shipping.

Wash the gribblies out of the sump and bolt it back on. Whip the engine out and ship it to Gary so he can find out what's f@cked. I've got serviceable standard mains and a front that is I think 3rd under and a rear that think is second under. They were used in the hot-rod motor with the 750 crank and it ain't ever likely to go again :grin: . As I said, I think I've got some 2nd under shells around, if you're lucky the crankpin will polish up and you can use standard ones.

The rods came from Howard Reinhart's 1100 sport. I was going to use them in a race motor but his crank failed the crack test so the rods are just sitting around. I can get 'em re-sized here for peanuts if needs be. Most expensive thing will prolly be the rod bolts! I wouldn't recommend re-using 'em!

You WILL be checking your oil more often in future though won't you? :bbblll::grin:

Pete

Of course I meant it. PM me and I'll give you an address to ship to. When it gets here I'll tear it down and give you an honest estimate of damages. As soon as I get the word we'll get the thing on it's way. Sounds like Bro Pete may be able to help as well. Are you game?

YOU'RE ON... :thumbsup:

You WILL be checking your oil more often in future though won't you? :bbblll::grin:

Pete

I'll be bathing in it..!! :D

you guys are family!...thanks really

Sincere condolences, Staedtler. Be honest now -- how bad was it -- how long since last oil change & how low did the level get? There may be some who could stand to benefit from hearing it. -_-

it is dry bone... the mechanic have never seen anything like it... he was surprsed it was in one piece

he said; 'if you're going to haul ass and use it that way you'll need to change oil at LEAST every thou miles' (after describing him how i ride it...) and...'have you look into getting an R1?'... i'm not kidding...

oh so, last oil change was about a bit over 2.5 thou miles ago....

i did 2 desert runs though, that's 1200 mi trips (haul'n ass)