Bearing in bevel box

andy york

Alright ...I would like the brain trust to tell me why Luigi put the shitty bearing

in the outside of the bevel box? :huh2: You have to disassemble the box in order to replace

it and I haven't found a good way of sealing the location to keep water out.

Since the axle is captured and doesn't spin....the bevel box is captured and doesn't spin.

The ring gear has bearings on each side and the pinion gear has bearings for and aft...

wouldn't a bronze bushing or a bushing of some sort work?

Open to ideas and options ....not trying to reinvent the wheel ...just keep it going round and round :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

It's a bit o' a puzzler to me, Andy. Since its only function is to bear irregular, low-speed reciprocating motion of the box as the "floating hub" parallelogram follows suspension movement -- needle bearings, even the small ones in question would seem overkill. I'm sure a bushing would suffice, but perhaps it wouldn't have the same long-term durability??

My approach is to keep it clean and repacked with boat trailer wheel bearing grease at every tire change as a hedge against water intrusion. It's worked like a Champ so far -- haven't found a trace of water or rust to date. Not so on one other I've seen, which had an accumulation of water and rust. -_-

Well at almost 50,000 miles it sometimes gets to be a pain in the ass :wacko: . Not that I mind

tinkering around a bit :D . Even had one of them degreed machinists have a look and he couldn't

give me any good reason.

I might try turning out a brass bushing to fit in there and see how she holds up. :(

andy :race:

Guest ratchethack

Plus ...looking at all the parts catalogues ....only the 1100 sports and the V11's have this bearing.

The 850's, 1000 Le Mans and cruisers and such don't have it.

Nope. No need. They don't have the floating bevel box. No rear U-joint either. ;)

The old design is lighter and simpler. But since we have so much more engine torque, we get the "full floating" parallelogram design, which prevents the pinion from torquing the swingarm by attempting to "climb" the crownwheel, resulting in "jacking" the chassis under acceleration.

That may've been badly said, but I hope it makes sense. :blush:

It's a trade-off that I'm more'n pleased to have.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV. -_-