My rotors are..

Guest Le Man

Guest Le Man

warped..or at least one is. Lots of pulsations while stopping (front) is there any history of this? More pronounced at slow speed.

Hep me boys!

Mike

Well I thought it was a older issue. The past Guzzi's had problems with brake rotors warping. As a matter of fact, Aprilia and Ducati have problems too. Maybe it is a Brembo thing! :helmet:

I have heard of Moto Guzzi replacing only some rotors under warrantee.

I would give your dealer a call to get the ball rolling.

Mike

Yep, it was a "Brembo" thing, but I too have only heard of it on the older(pre 2002?) bikes with the rotors with round holes in the gold spider.

hrmm, it could happen if your pads were dragging for some reason though. I guess just check with your dealer :huh:

My rear still groans when reversing occassionally if it sits for a while, but once I get on the bike and ride it loosens up fine.

al

Most of these problems are caused by dirt getting into the buttons. Then they can no longer semi-float as they are designed to do. Clean them out with brake cleaner. Use rags to keep that stuff off painted surfaces though. Lube the buttons, wipe off excess lube and you're set to roll. This often takes care of the problem.

Guest Le Man

Thanks for the replies gentlemen..the thoughts about the dirt in the floaters makes a lot of sense. I'm headed into my shop today to check that out. I've always had a lot of brake dust on the front with this bike. It was a factory demo so I chalked it up to a lot of hard riding. Maybe the brake dust is in the pins..I not a clean type biker quite honestly, always run sort of a dirty rig , maybe I'll change...(yeah, right).

Mike

Guest atl.guzzirider

Hey... been there w/the warped rotor thang on the 02 Lemans. At 4-5k on my bike I noticed it getting worse-pulsating that is, however did not try cleaning them, Rich has got a good point there. What I did do after finding that Guzzi would not cover them unless they were 5k out or better(mine were like 3-4k out) is drill out the factory buttons and install full floating buttons from motowheels "stm floating disc" which worked out to be really cool. This helped considerably however I can still slightly feel a little pulsating, I need to check on if these should be lubricated and w/what-probably so. I had actually gotten this idea from someone that had done this on his 1100 sport and then someone on this site directed me to motowheels, cost is around 100-125.00. It's really b.s. that this was not covered as this is a major safety concern especially on wet roads and in turns, my thought as far as bikes go is "your brakes and your tires=your ass".

Walt Bowen

champaign 02 Lemans

Guest Le Man

Cleaning the floater buttons seems to have worked. I may feel some slight pulsation..it might be my imagination..I'll take it for 100 miles today anyway and check it out.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

Guest jlburgess

I had the same problem, and cleaning worked somewhat, but then the problem would return. Guzzi finally replaced them with the later model rotors under warranty, and no more pulsing.

Mine were replaced under warranty at 4 k . My dealer had to raise hell with them for 2 wks ,but they finaly approved replacments. My dealer talked them into replacing them with Spieglers as the replacments were from the same batch. Any way the Spieglers were ductile iron and the carriers were lighter than the Brembos quite a inprovment over stock. ;)

Guest Le Man

Cleaning helped with the pulsations quite a bit but it is still there.

I'll try my dealer and see if I can get a replacement deal going. My problem is that I don't let anyone touch my bikes except me. I have never had any luck with dealers to date (and I've had a lot of bikes)and I don't think this time will be the exception.

Failing any satisfaction with warranty..does anyone have any suggestions for replacement rotors?

Mike