What are you doing on your Guzzi this weekend?

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Mattress

I really like this project. Keep us posted. I've been doing various searches from time to time to find a suitable fairing replacement for my 04 Cafe sport. The original cracked itself badly while I was testing the stopping ability of Iowa's soft road shoulders. I'm planning on doing a lot of mid to long tours next year to put some miles on my experience and would like better weather protection as I can't afford a second bike.

Could you do a mod to the midsection to let the cylinders stick out aka early Le Mans type lowers?

I like the fairing done by the bloke on the Isle of Man (nogfast?)....a Le Mans IV or something, with the lowers. I just have a hard time visualizing how any of these fairings would look or work with the higher Ballabio, Cafe handlebars.

Other choices I guess would be: BMW, or going smaller the Magni kit.

So for now, I guess I will be going naked in the spring... :blush:

{By the way, my bike only slid about 20-30 feet at 50mph on the powder+gravel, which kept it tumbling down into the ditch. As for me, I landed on the pavement, hard, and immediately went into a tumble for twice as long. Lucky the Dodge Minivan behind me didn't need a brake job. :wacko: }

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure yet. The parts don't really fit, the radiator outlets interfere with the cylinderheads for instance and all those other holes should be closed. That's the reason I'm planning to make a mold of the parts in which I can adjust the design a bit. If I need a mold then the complete fairing would mean a lot of work and stink, not to mention sidestand/ground clearance. This means also that I will paint he fairing, not the Goose. It will become some quite big green dot in the landscape. Unfortunately I'm not very clever with designing such things.

I think I will end up with the main cupola and the first sidepanels. These will leave parts of the cylinders visible but hide the valve covers what I'd prefere anyway.

The look of the two round headlights is what attracted me since a long time. I was searching for this one, but they are really hard to find nowadays:

1990_GSX-R750_wb_470.jpg

This would have been a perfect match. The picture is from 1990

Hubert

Guest Mattress

Well they are promising us mid to high thirties centigrade by early afternoon so I reckon I'll nip down to the coast and see how badly I can get the Griso to detonate coming back up the Clyde. I think a lot of the problems I've had down there are down to bung fuel but receint information I've recieved tells me that detonation *is* a problem in high temperature conditions especially if the intake and exhaust have been de-restricted in any way.

I'll fill up with 100 octane in Batemans Bay and see if I can get back up the hill without blowing a hole in a piston :bbblll:

Pete

Pete, this has got the cob-webs in my mind turning. Are you along the coast in the mountains? I used to live in Brisbane.

I think both are potential root causes (temp & fuel). You might try filling up with your suspect fuel, making a run and if you experience detonation, stop and add some octane booster (if available in Oz) to the tank.

Another thought could be engine temp. I'm not fully versed in what Guzzi did change to the Griso motor. They may have kept the crude version of the oil piston cooling on the V11 or gone to dedicated undercrown squirters that are more efficient. In either case you have much more heat going into the oil. On a properly designed system, you can reach 60 - 70% of the piston's heat being transferred to the oil from squirt cooling. This is how we can get aluminium pistons to survive in diesels today. Although those pistons have top of the line complicated cast in oil cooling galleries too.

With no oil jet cooling that heat goes through the rings and skirt, not as efficient because of more tortured path. Good for many/most applications, though.

So, this a long winded lead up to my observation that the Griso oil cooler is mounted on the side, which has to make it less efficient.

Under a high load mountain climb, could your cylinders be too hot from less efficient oil cooling?

Oh, and do you have that crappy plastic temperature sensor housing? I wonder how many Guzzi driveability problems stem from an undetected, sub-par functioning temperature sensor since I would guess the ECU could get confused by an inaccurate reading.

The tail section on my green/gray V11 was either never hardened correctly or the sun's rays here in florida ate through the paint (when I didn't have a garage I used to go through at least one cover per year due to the sun).

I think the goo they sprayed on the tail section to make it matte was crap. It peeled off like a bad sunburn in random spots. Mine wasn't even exposed to that much sun. I tried to take the stuff off carefully but couldn't find a (chemical) stripper that worked right. Went all the way through the paint. Oh well. I should have my tail section mold done in a month or so and I'll have a shiny new CF tail. :D

I think the goo they sprayed on the tail section to make it matte was crap. It peeled off like a bad sunburn in random spots. Mine wasn't even exposed to that much sun. I tried to take the stuff off carefully but couldn't find a (chemical) stripper that worked right. Went all the way through the paint. Oh well. I should have my tail section mold done in a month or so and I'll have a shiny new CF tail. :D

oh yeah because CF is soo much better for sitting out in the sun :rolleyes:

do they make some type of UV clear coat that could help things for CF? :huh2:

Well I continued on my winter project (currently ahead of schedule for now), mounted a set of progressive shocks and made a stainless tach holder to replace the stock dash. This is my Tonti redo, going to a red frame custom street fighter look...so far so good.

oh yeah because CF is soo much better for sitting out in the sun :rolleyes:

do they make some type of UV clear coat that could help things for CF? :huh2:

Yeah they do. I'm using what is hopefully a UV stable clear gelcoat on the outer layer and surfboard resin for laminating the carbon cloth. Even with this protection the sun will break the resin/gelcoat down with time, hopefully more slowly.

My bike is always parked indoors (home/work). If I had to park my bike outside all the time, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

I don't think I'd ever own carbon wrapped mufflers though. IMHO that's just too much heat for resin to handle over time.

heres what I did on the V11 this weekend: I went down into the garage, approached it with caution so as not to wake it from hibernation, gave it a little hug and whispered to it that theres only four months left 'till spring... did the same to the Laverda...

gonna wake the guys up next week to give them some trickle charging and a warmup...

3 degrees celsius outside, and we have not had sunlight in four weeks straight. its bad up here....

I really like this project. Keep us posted. I've been doing various searches from time to time to find a suitable fairing replacement for my 04 Cafe sport.

Mattress, have you seen this bike in the gallery here?

V11 with Superhawk fairing

I believe the owner posted more pictures somewhere else on this site a while back. A good search should find them if you're interested.

Here's where I said what I was going to do: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=109077

Here are some (OK, too many) pics of (Wayne Orwig &) me doing it: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9wgryy...0&y=-37hwye :race:

Bill

Guest Nigelstephens

This weekend I will be mainly relaxing which might include solving a problem with my throttle cable. Its been a bit sticky lately so will be removing the tank and taking it off to give it a good lubing.

Front tyre is getting near the limit but I need to syc myself up a little more before change both tyres (try to do both at same time).

WELLLLLLL I'm going Enzo'esq, call me crazy but I got this tank

mg-gas-tank-02.jpg

I have the CF chin pad replacement to go on it also.

and then This tail

ec57_1.jpg

and you already know my seat

9c57.jpg

I think I'll still add a FBF fender kit and have three tail lights and a place to mount some aprilia turn signals

then all I need is a CF or guzzi green front fender.

remember that rock band from the 80's whats there name again.... hold on I Think I got it.

clash-still5830.jpg

:lol:

Hmm can't wait to bolt it all together and then it'll either be :wub: or :vomit:

cast your votes now! :xmas: