subtle speed secrets

kaput

It's winter - even though it doesn't feel like it here - so it's project time. I need some inspiration, not for the more obvious stuff like pipe, PC-111. airfilter etc. but for more subtle, easy and read cheapo mofifications to make my steed work better and give me something to do. The best subtle mod I've been able to come up with was to rubber mount the napolean mirrors to their spot on the vacant brake and clutch lever mounts (do a search for mirrors if you have not seen this before) by using K100 valve cover o rings - which I happened to have lying around. The mod cost too much - beemer parts are expensive! - but completely cured any distortion in the mirrors at speed (hence sublime speed secret). I'm sure though any decent harder o-rings would do the trick.

Hows about you, got any cheap and easy ideas to help all the winter garage tinkerers.

Kaput

Guest ratchethack

Kaput, as Pete Roper has opined several times of late, setting up the suspension is a relatively low-cost, high-reward undertaking. It was only when I started monitoring this Forum 4 years ago and saw the high number of posts form riders who very evidently give this ZERO attention, that I first discovered that this is such a RARE practice these days, and that to many long-time riders as well as novices, it's not only poorly understood -- in fact, it seems that for far too many, it's completely UNHEARD OF. <_<

Though I learned a lot of new stuff on this Forum WRT cartridge forks and aspects beyond basic laden sag setting, I've ALWAYS considered at least setting laden sags, up-rated springs and preload mandatory for every one of a dozen motorcycles I've owned. I've got 2, and I can't imagine NOT having 'em both correctly set up. :huh2: I've never had a bike that responded so well to re-springing and setup than my Guzzi.

Without getting this right, there's simply a ZERO percent possibility of achieving the wonderful (IMHO) handling that these machines are designed to achieve on the road or track. Depending on how badly your spring rates are matched to your weight and/or how far out of whack your sags are set to start with (my Guzzi fork springs were the weakest link in the chain), when you DO get it done properly, it can easily rank as the #1 best improvement you can possibly make for enjoyment of your Guzzi on the road. :race::wub:

Now I ride in the mountains, and you don't have mountains where you live. Suspension setup is mandatory here for safety reasons alone, and not so much where you are. But I promise you that if you do this, even on the flat, your Guzzi's road manners will nevertheless be transformed in a VERY positive way and you'll be very pleased that you did it, and you'll become a more confident and secure rider in the bargain. :sun:

The basis of setting up the chassis is to correctly set BOTH laden and unladen sags by adjusting preload. Unless you have a proper match of spring rate to load to start with, this will be impossible. So if you need to upgrade springs (this becomes evident INSTANTLY when you can't get both laden and unladen sags in the correct target range), this becomes the key to a proper set-up. Then its simply a matter of setting sags and dialing in compression and rebound damping, and getting the fork height (and air gap) matched to your style of riding and the kinds of roads you ride.

For starters, may I suggest attention to the principles so well explained here:

http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html

and for air spring setting:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilheight.htm

Happy Trails. :thumbsup:

The cheapest and most subtle speed secret I know applies to the earlier spine sports such as the Daytona RS and so forth. It may apply to the V11 Sports but not nearly as much because the 6 speed transmission is a better shifter than the 5 speed.

Here it comes.

Angle the gear shift lever down a bunch from stock. You'll miss fewer shifts.

Seems obvious doesn't it?

:mg:

Thanks for that informative and well researched tip for a useful mod. :thumbsup: The bike certainly feels like it needs firmer springs - and even though I've achieved a workable set up - sounds like re-springing is vital to getting the most out of the suspension. It is on my Christmas wish list

Quite right by the way, no mountains here, the closest thing we got is the local refuse dump piled several hundred feet high high and only dump trucks get to ride the twisties. :race:

Kaput

The cheapest and most subtle speed secret I know applies to the earlier spine sports such as the Daytona RS and so forth. It may apply to the V11 Sports but not nearly as much because the 6 speed transmission is a better shifter than the 5 speed.

Here it comes.

Angle the gear shift lever down a bunch from stock. You'll miss fewer shifts.

Seems obvious doesn't it?

:mg:

Will try it. Sounds like a cheap sublime trick. :bier: Thanks.

Kaput

I agree with Ratch re suspension set up- no point in laying out the cash on extra horses unless you can keep it on the road.

As a cheap and easy way of going a little faster, losing 10 kilos of bodyweight will outweigh the gain of 2bhp when it comes to power to weight ratio.

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack

BTW - If anyone starts telling you about the fine points of suspension DAMPENING, run f'er the hills! :o

Suspension DAMPENING is wot happens when you ride in the rain or drop it in the lake. :homer:

:lol:

BTW - If anyone starts telling you about the fine points of suspension DAMPENING, run f'er the hills! :o

Suspension DAMPENING is wot happens when you ride in the rain or drop it in the lake. :homer:

:lol:

Its dampening as heck down here but there aren't any hills to run to. :lol:

Recognizing the difference between 'damping ' and 'dampening' is like finding out there is no 'and' in a whole number.

The fastest I've seen the Sport's Veglia indicate is one hundred thirty-five. But not one hundred and thirty-five. Here in the year two thousand six ( not two thousand and six) it is common to read and hear otherwise knowledgable sorts tell you that your forks' dampening can be sorted for less than a hunderd and fifty dollars. :nerd:

The grammarical rant aside there is no question that sorting the Guzzi suspension is going to be the biggest improvement we can ever make. :luigi:

Engineering vs. Linguistics

I guess it is better to trust an engineer, over a linguist with your suspension :huh2:

Definitions of damp on the Web:

* muffle: deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping

* restrain or discourage; "the sudden bad news damped the joyous atmosphere"

* dampen: make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"

* a slight wetness

* dampen: lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"

* slightly wet; "clothes damp with perspiration"; "a moist breeze"; "eyes moist with tears"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Definitions of dampen on the Web:

* stifle: smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"

* moisten: make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"

* muffle: deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping

* reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)

* make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"

* check; keep in check (a fire)

* lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Guest Mattress

As a cheap and easy way of going a little faster, losing 10 kilos of bodyweight will outweigh the gain of 2bhp when it comes to power to weight ratio.

Guy :helmet:

So my diet of frozen pizzas, burgers and chips is costing me speed? :food: Please don't tell me Pabst Blue Ribbon has any calories. :bier:

Hmm speed secrets? I guess make sure you drop a duece in the can before you ride. Ditch anything heavy too, like leathers, helmet, boots and gloves. I sure see a lot of really fast 20yr olds on the highways around Chi-town, and they just got a t-shirt and speedos on. :o

My favourite speed secret? It can be worth seconds off your laptime and up to 10 mph of top speed!! It can even extend your wheelies up through 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th and 6th gear!!

What is this secret? You all know the answer. You just have to search deep in your fertile minds to find it!!

Guest Mattress

My favourite speed secret? It can be worth seconds off your laptime and up to 10 mph of top speed!! It can even extend your wheelies up through 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th and 6th gear!!

What is this secret? You all know the answer. You just have to search deep in your fertile minds to find it!!

O.K. I'll bite.

It's buy an MGS-01 right? :nerd: