Back in the Saddle Again

profWacko

Hello folks.

I have just returned to the ranks of Guzzi ownership with my purchase on Saturday of a really nice 2004 Le Mans.

This is my first Guzzi since my beloved 2002 Le Mans was totally in April 2003.

I have been riding a BMW 1150GS in the interim and after riding my new Le Mans, the GS feels lifeless.

It's great to be back on a Guzzi again.

Now, let the upgrades begin!

Ride safe and WEAR YOUR GEAR!

-Jack

Welcome back Jack!

Did you crash your Guzzi? Or did you just sell it.

In any case glad you are up and able to ride a Guzzi :bier:

The new BMW R1200's are very appealing, but I fear they will leave me uninspired because of the sewing machine feel. Plus they are new, and thus expensive :( so I must stay on the Guzzi path to enlightenment :mg:

I have just returned to the ranks of Guzzi ownership with my purchase on Saturday of a really nice 2004 Le Mans.

This is my first Guzzi since my beloved 2002 Le Mans was totally in April 2003.

[snipola]

Now, let the upgrades begin!

-Jack

Ouch, you totalled your '02? That had to hurt! No wonder you say "Wear your gear!"

Your info says you're in La Crescenta: did you crash on Angeles Crest, or in traffic? Morbid curiosity; don't feel compelled to offer details unless you want to do so!

Congrats on the new ride!

:mg:

Crash details:

I was in the HOV lane at twilight and came over a little rise to find a car sideways in my lane. I found out later another car had swerved into the lane of the now-sideways car and forced a drastic manuver to avoid the incoming car.

I changed lanes to the right to go around the sideways car and as soon as I got to the back of the car, I saw the backup lights and the car backed into me and took me off of my bike. The car's bumper hit my Le Mans amidships, just behind my left knee and put a very distinct bend in the middle. The bike slid on without me and slid into the back of another car.

I was extremely fortunate in that no other cars ran over me as I slid unconscious down the freeway.

To make a long story finally end, I had no lacerations anywhere on my body (which led to the ER staff on a fruitless search for internal injuries), a broken rib, and an AC separation on my left shoulder. Pretty light damage under the circumstances. I was up and riding my KTM Duke within three weeks or so.

The Le Mans was totalled, of course. It had a bent swing arm, bent frame, lots of body work rash, and broken fins on the left cylinder and head.

I never realized just how much I had been missing that bike until I took a test ride on this new bike.

It's good to be back. :mg:

-Jack

PS: I added a picture attachment to my original post, but I don't see it. Any thoughts?

>>"hosted" jpg?

No, I just used the Add This Attachment button at the bottom of the message edit window.

Apparently, that does not work.

Is there any other way besides using a hosted image link?

-jp

The picture may be too large and the forum won't accept it. Hosted images are those you might upload to a photo site like Photobucket then cut and paste the IMG (image) tag onto the reply box. The entire image will dislay on the post but is actually not stored with the forum's server. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, you can resize the picture before posting.

BTW, what gear were you using for the asphalt surfing?

The picture may be too large and the forum won't accept it. Hosted images are those you might upload to a photo site like Photobucket then cut and paste the IMG (image) tag onto the reply box. The entire image will dislay on the post but is actually not stored with the forum's server. :thumbsup:

+1 on using Photobucket for posting pictures. I started using it about a month ago and am sold. Quick and easy.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new bike...and I'd love to see pics of the old one too.

I totaled my '02 Le Mans last year (pilot error) also. I went down the other road and brought it back from the dead. There were times I wished I'd simple parted it out and replaced it but now, in hind sight am glad for the chance it gave me to get to know my bike.

Welcome back!

>>BTW, what gear were you using for the asphalt surfing?

I was wearing:

Belstaff waist-length ballistic jacket (which was destroyed)

Shoei something-900 (also destroyed)

Prexport boots (scuffed, but still usable)

Dainese gloves (scraped up but still usable)

First Gear leather overpants (scuffed, torn pocket, still using them).

>>PhotoBucket

I'll give them a try.

-jp

Here's to using the right stuff :thumbsup: and seeing you back, Jack!

It's going to be interesting to hear your comparison of the '04 with the '02 LeMans . . .