SoullesS

Hi all, I don't own a guzzi just yet but I hope to change that here in 3 weeks when I return from an out of state trip. I've been watching a 2001 V11 Sport that Mark has over at MotoGuzziClassics. I was absolutely floored when I was finally able to see it and sit on it IRL. I won't say anything profane but it was a whole other experience when he started it up for me, it was the first time I had heard a guzzi, such a beast.

Anyways, just wanted to let my presence be know and thank everyone for their previous posts. I have great expectations for this bike, I'd really like to make it my own. Right off the bat a little bit of paint will help (the bike is bone stock balck), some bar end mirrors to help the profile a bit, a fender eliminator kit, and if I can find the monies I'd like to move the footpegs (I'm a pretty big guy, 6'5"). About the footpegs though, I wonder what people have to say about moving them back a bit. It seems the pegs are generally moved forward an inch or 2 but I'd like to see them back and up a little more? Again thanks for all the posts, they will make a my modding much smoother. :bike:

SoullesS,

This forum has a great search engine for pegs and mirrors and such. The black Red Frame '01 is a fabulous bike and sure to capture your riding soul (less) (ness). ;)

You will do very well with the V11. I also own this bike. There are a couple things you should check. Your bike had aluminium oil cooler brackets. Make sure they have retro'd the replacement steel ones on.

Ask if the bike has had it's recall done on the gearbox. You may have to go through either of the two dealers who co-sponsor this forum if your dealer won't look it through.

Check to see that the fuel tank has not settled down on it's rear fixing point. When this happens, it can cause the weight of the tank to press down on the side covers, causing fractures around the fastening screws of the covers.

See that the angle drive of the speedo is not about to lose it's worm gear, which will happen if the pressed in/melted in cover comes loose.

Other than that, be aware that these engines take a very long time to break in, perhaps 20,000 miles. The engine gets more & more pleasing with mileage, less vibes, more power, just more relaxed. You will grow to love the bike. It is a hands on machine, not a Japanese machine. You will have to get involved in it's regular maintenance, which is part of the joy of such a simple machine.

One other thing, avoid the Global Warming thread on this forum. You will be sucked into a bottomless pit of head swelled chest beating arrogance like nothing else you've ever seen:D .

Well done.

Ciao, Steve

You will do very well with the V11. I also own this bike. There are a couple things you should check. Your bike had aluminium oil cooler brackets. Make sure they have retro'd the replacement steel ones on.

Ask if the bike has had it's recall done on the gearbox. You may have to go through either of the two dealers who co-sponsor this forum if your dealer won't look it through.

Check to see that the fuel tank has not settled down on it's rear fixing point. When this happens, it can cause the weight of the tank to press down on the side covers, causing fractures around the fastening screws of the covers.

See that the angle drive of the speedo is not about to lose it's worm gear, which will happen if the pressed in/melted in cover comes loose.

Other than that, be aware that these engines take a very long time to break in, perhaps 20,000 miles. The engine gets more & more pleasing with mileage, less vibes, more power, just more relaxed. You will grow to love the bike. It is a hands on machine, not a Japanese machine. You will have to get involved in it's regular maintenance, which is part of the joy of such a simple machine.

One other thing, avoid the Global Warming thread on this forum. You will be sucked into a bottomless pit of head swelled chest beating arrogance like nothing else you've ever seen:D .

Well done.

Ciao, Steve

You're a good man Charlie Brown..... cough.... Steve. I had a vague knowledge of this recall from my random google searches but hadn't thought a whole lot of it. As far as the rest of it goes, I will bring your suggestions as a print out and run through every one. I believe the bike has about 16,000 so if I have my way about it I will have reached 20k by the end of January B).

I plan to ride it to Vegas with a buddy of mine (assuming he gets his 73' CB750 in good running order) then down to San Diego for the Modders vs Rockers thing. It's going to be a very busy and very enjoyable month.

Put a bunch of miles on it before you modify anything. You may find that it's fine the way it is. Although my 2001 V11 Sport isn't "stock" anymore, it's really the same as stock but with the clip-ons lowered a bit over an inch. As for the not being "stock", don't ask. Long story there.

Put a bunch of miles on it before you modify anything. You may find that it's fine the way it is. Although my 2001 V11 Sport isn't "stock" anymore, it's really the same as stock but with the clip-ons lowered a bit over an inch. As for the not being "stock", don't ask. Long story there.

I may not have much of a choice in the matter, money is a rareity around here. I'm not thinking about anything to extreme or non-reversible but I'll take it under consideration. Also, how can you tell me not to ask and expect me not to?

How is you're V11 sport not stock, besides the bars that is? :D

I may not have much of a choice in the matter, money is a rareity around here. I'm not thinking about anything to extreme or non-reversible but I'll take it under consideration. Also, how can you tell me not to ask and expect me not to?

How is you're V11 sport not stock, besides the bars that is? :D

does he mean the Frakensport there carl, that what you were getting at? its like 5 different bikes, they can rebuild, we have the technology... but we don't want to spend a lot of money

peter.griffen.jpg

:lol:

Well done.

Ciao, Steve

Surely not! It's the only reason I stay on here.