Final suspension settings - '03 Rosso

Guest teros1

Guest roger

Thanks for your help guys. adding preload to both ends really made a big difference. Starting at minimum compression and rebound on both ends, I kept adding each a little at a time to get the feel I wanted. I'm close now, but it takes time.

Thanks again, Roger.

Guest Darth Maul

I have done the same here... adding rear preload n it improves the handlin immediately.

But now the bike seems to have the tendecy to tank slap at straight line high speed.

The last Ducati Monster900 that i have tend to feel the same. Just wondering is this a naked bike thing or is it just me...???

Does any of you out there feel the same..?

My Scura is rock soild at speed. Even when my wife is hitting me in my kidneys because we have doubled and then some the speed limit....

Guest roger

Hi Guys, I finally got my 02 Scura's suspension "dialed in" with the greatly appreciated help of Todd Eagan at Guzzitech.com. Please check out our final settings @ Guzzitech.com, you may be suprized. Thanks.

Roger,

I take it that the dig on "experts" was not aimed at this list. :huh:

Most advice here is pretty humble. :D as evidenced by this thread. :bier:

You and Todd came up with the following:

The following settings are for a @180# rider (total with all gear on).

Front forks:

Set sag to 1/2" (12.7mm) - we found this to be approx. +5.5 turns from full soft on the spring preload setting.

Compression: +3 of 28 (max) from full soft.

Rebound: +6 of 28 (max) from full soft

We pulled the forks up through the triples @3/8" (9mm) or to the third line on the forks under the clip-ons, to maximize stability.

Rear Shock:

This bike was equipped with a warranteed Ohlins unit, so hopefully these will be within a good range for the stock Ohlins shock as well.

Spring preload set to 1/2" (12.7mm) sag. +4 turns from stock position.

Compression: +12 of 23 (max) from full soft

Rebound: +24 of 39 (max) from full soft.

I take it the sag numbers are the effect of rider weight only and not bike and rider weight.

Todd is pretty good with suspension. FWIW he helped me out with my bike's suspension.

His adjustments helped alot but what I really need are new springs, etc.

It is good to hear people are dialing in the Ohlins.

To help make this thread a little more complete, here are the recommended Scura settings from the manual:

Forks:

Rebound 13 clicks from closed

Compression 13 clicks from closed

Preload 13 turns i.e. 13mm

Rear Shock:

Rebound 14 clicks from closed

Compression 12 clicks from closed

Preload 15mm

source: http://ryuv11.free.fr/v11/scuraohlins/scuraohlins.htm

Guest roger

David, that "dig" as you put it, was NOT directed to ANYONE on THIS site. Let's be very clear on that. Look around the 'net, there are dozens of sites dedicated to motorcycle suspension set ups. I made the mistake of taking the self-proclaimed "experts" word at face value, trying their advice and set ups, and ended up with a bike that was much worse than before.

Roger,

I don't understand the figures quoted for sag...

How & where are you measuring these? They don't tie in with what I set at all (30% of available travel)...

I'm pleased to hear you got it sorted.

Thanks, KB,

David, that "dig" as you put it, was NOT directed to ANYONE on THIS site. Let's be very clear on that. Look around the 'net, there are dozens of sites dedicated to motorcycle suspension set ups. I made the mistake of taking the self-proclaimed "experts" word at face value, trying their advice and set ups, and ended up with a bike that was much worse than before.

Glad we cleared that up.

We have all had our share of listening to "self proclaimed experts"

Roger,

Thanks for e-mail - tried reply - returned unable to deliver.

What puzzled me was your quoted 1/2"(12.7mm) sag front & back. Mine is 38mm front, 30mm back. As I understood it, sag should be about 30% of available travel. Are we describing same measurements?

I measured along exposed lower fork stanchions; length unloaded = 123mm, w/rider = 85mm. 123-85 = 38 which is near 30%.

At rear, I measured wheel spindle to seat base & got 526mm unloaded, 496mm w/rider = 30mm sag.

I'm about 190lb. Your measurements are so different to mine I wondered am I making some basic error, I'm pretty ignorant about suspension set up.

Thanks for your help, KB in Wales, UK!

:blink:

You're just about right Baldini, do not worry.

There is quite pronounced stiction on the front forks, in my case 1.25cm with the rider on. To be exact you have to allow for it. The best way is to measure "upper" and "lower" position of your fork with the rider on and take an average (midpoint) measurments to calculate your sag.

You took only "lower" measurments for your front sag calculation, I bet.

My sag carefully and properly measured was 35.5 mm on the front forks (I am a heavy 230lbs man) and 48 mm rear stock bike.

My son (156 lbs) sag was 33 mm rear which was just about what you want.

I had to preload rear spring three full turns to decrease sag (should change into heavier spring really) and installed heavier springs in the forks (1.05) just few days ago which is a proper thing to do.

Rear sag decreased to 39 mm now and front I still have to measure.

But the handling improved tremendously mainly due to proper front springs.

PS. The rear stiction iis so small that almost negligible in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

Janusz,

Thanks for the comments. I've been told that std springs in Ohlins on my Scura are 9.0 nm. I've ordered some 10 nm springs to go in there. Also ordered a 100 spring to replace std 85 on rear. I weigh about 200lbs w/gear.Springs'll be sent tomorrow - any quick comments re rates I'm getting... anyone?

Thanks, KB, Wales.