In the spirit of things being bought (it's that time of year), I 've just got myself a new toy!

We're moving house soon ,to a place in the country with room for more bikes, so I've just invested.

It's not new.

It's not Italian. (boo!)

It was apparently designed by a German....

It's got 4 cylinders...

It's a .........?

vw golf??? gimme a brake!

Well done jaap.

It's a 1981 gsx1100s Suzuki Katana.

About when I started actually reading my brother's bike magazines, as oppose to looking at the cartoons and maybe admiring the scantily clad women, the fastest thing on the road was the Katana. I believe Laverda claimed more mph, but apparently their speedos were way optimistic. Anyway , the katana could do 140 in a straight line, and was overthrown in 1983 by, I think, the Kawa gpz900.

Big bikes have always been a bit of a rarity in the republic, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one in the flesh until quite recently, in Vancouver. But I've always lusted after one, and now it seems I'll have room, why not?

So thats 2 on my top 5 wishlist. And the only Jap. It's a start!

my_Katana.doc

Hey NICE Bike !!!

My kid brother had one that he spent alot of $$ on....it was, oh me Gawd fast in its day, (it was timmed at 11:00 sec even on a damp strip at 5500ft ) and he used it to full use to hunt and humiliate 911 Turbo's on the Nichol Hwy out of Johannesburg. His favorite sport at the time!

l always liked the big Katana's, and have felt that they were the bikes to break Japan inc. out of the U.J.M.C. rut they were in.

:bier:

Cheers

Van

ps. hard to find a nice one that's not wanked.