V-11 grab bag of questions...

ShiftyAl

Hey guys,

I'm about to do a little house-cleaning on my Guzzi and I'm wanting to take a few recommendations on sources for the parts in the US and what types are best.

1. I need a headlight I think. The metal bulb carrier bracket inside seems to have dislodged itself? Am I correct in assuming that it can't be disassembled and will simply need to be replaced? What type is best for our bikes?

2. Best source and type for billet reservoir caps? (also...is bleeding of the clutch and brake system as straightforward as my old Guzzi?? Any tips?)

3. My front tire is seriously more worn on the left side of the bike than the right.?? Any thoughts? Also...what's the best tire type and size for a 2000 V11?

4. After 17,000 miles the seat does not offer the support I'd like. I like the look of the factory seat, but does anyone have any rec's for a more comfortable and well padded seat? I'm a taller than average guy, but I find myself riding up close to the tank and it simply does NOT have the padding or width there I'd like to have.

5. Best source and type of rear fender eliminator kit? (I hate the huge stock one)?

6. I'd like to have a factory tank bag. Anyone know who still carries them? (MPH seems to be out)

7. I'd also like to buy a set of the small factory saddle bags. I have the brackets, but no bags. ?? :huh2:

8. Anyone put a wide set of dirt-bike style bars on their V-11?? I know this question sounds ludicrous, but I purchased a set for nothing and installed them on my old T3 (see pic below) and find them to be amazingly comfortable. They also make the bike VERY manueverable around town.....it feels MUCH lighter than my V11 simply because of the wide bars! By the way...if you think this is crazy just take a look at the Aprillia Tuono. They simply took a sport bike with no fairing and slapped wide bars on it and presto! Supermoto style feel street fighter!

I know I have other things I'm missing, but I figure this is a good start to get the ball rolling.

Anyone want to lend some rec's?

Thanks,

Alan :D

Hi ShiftyAl,

my answers in red.

Hey guys,

I'm about to do a little house-cleaning on my Guzzi and I'm wanting to take a few recommendations on sources for the parts in the US and what types are best.

1. I need a headlight I think. The metal bulb carrier bracket inside seems to have dislodged itself? Am I correct in assuming that it can't be disassembled and will simply need to be replaced? What type is best for our bikes?

If it's the metal thingy that ges over the bulb, just take it out. You'll be fine

2. Best source and type for billet reservoir caps? (also...is bleeding of the clutch and brake system as straightforward as my old Guzzi?? Any tips?)

I bought mine from Rossopuro, on of our forum sponsors (see small banner above)

3. My front tire is seriously more worn on the left side of the bike than the right.?? Any thoughts? Also...what's the best tire type and size for a 2000 V11?

Just do a search on this board, Plenty of tire threads.

4. After 17,000 miles the seat does not offer the support I'd like. I like the look of the factory seat, but does anyone have any rec's for a more comfortable and well padded seat? I'm a taller than average guy, but I find myself riding up close to the tank and it simply does NOT have the padding or width there I'd like to have.

Contact forum member Rich Maund, he'll rebuild it just the way you like.

5. Best source and type of rear fender eliminator kit? (I hate the huge stock one)?

Plenty available, f.i. from Rossopuro

6. I'd like to have a factory tank bag. Anyone know who still carries them? (MPH seems to be out)

There should be some lying around at dealers, or try a European source like TLM (see link above)

7. I'd also like to buy a set of the small factory saddle bags. I have the brackets, but no bags. ?? :huh2:

see 6.

8. Anyone put a wide set of dirt-bike style bars on their V-11?? I know this question sounds ludicrous, but I purchased a set for nothing and installed them on my old T3 (see pic below) and find them to be amazingly comfortable. They also make the bike VERY manueverable around town.....it feels MUCH lighter than my V11 simply because of the wide bars! By the way...if you think this is crazy just take a look at the Aprillia Tuono. They simply took a sport bike with no fairing and slapped wide bars on it and presto! Supermoto style feel street fighter!

I have the Cafe Sport handlebars, very comfy. Just do a search for handlebars

I know I have other things I'm missing, but I figure this is a good start to get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Moto Intl. has a tank bag. I think we can still get the bags. I will check. We have put Ballabio (essentially the same as Tuono) bars on many V11s. It is expensive, though. It's far cheaper to get some generic risers for 7/8-inch bars, bolt them to your top triple clamp, and then experiment to find the right bars for your needs.

Guest Gary Cheek

Can MI get the bracket set for Tekno V11 bags?

If they can come up with another tank bag lemme know. I will phone in my Visa number ang get it ordered.

Guest Mattress

Hey guys,

:helmet: #4 Since you have a 2000 model, you could find a Corbin seat, possibly new from Corbin or on e-bay. The Corbin seat for the V11 does not fit later models.

I looked into this for my 04, because frankly the stock seat sucks. I'm choosing to go with Rich Maund to modify my seat padding. All I've researched says he does a great job and it transforms the comfort. P.S. I'm 5ft 8, so I don't think height comes into play. The stocker is just a brute.

8. My Cafe Sport has the bar similar to what you describe. But from stock set-up it was "rolled" a bit too far forward for my reach. Once I adjusted that, I can tell you it is very maneuverable at city speeds. You are not crazy. I don't think my wrists could handle clip-ons.

I'll throw in another mod: get some Napoleon bar end mirrors if you don't have them already. And slap on a Stiebl horn.

Can MI get the bracket set for Tekno V11 bags?

If they can come up with another tank bag lemme know. I will phone in my Visa number ang get it ordered.

I will check on the brackets. I probably will not hear back until next week. Then, I'll let you know what I found.

I have one tank bag, and the Guzzi parts system says they do not have any more in the US. They could get more on Monday or it could be 6 months. You just never know. If anybody wants the one I have, you can email parts@motointernational.com or call 800 949-6686.

Stateside, we drive on the right; between road crowning to the left of the vehicle, and left turns being wider & faster than right, the tire wears more on the left side than the right. All this does is provide a convenient excuse for taking in a track day, ie - "I need to equalize the wear pattern..."

WRT best tyre type and size: Pirelli Diablo Strada or Metzler Z6 [Pirelli bought Metzler some time back; they're basically the same tire...] for street use; Diablo Corsas for canyon carving & track days. Stick w/ the stock sizes, altho' you can do a search for threads here on V11LM about dropping the stock rear width a notch...

Ludicrous? Nothing of the sort; checked out the Griso at all?
;)

:mg:

Huh, I guess I missed this one earlier.

Alan, check out my "installing bars on a V11" in the FAQ. I put wider bars on mine, and it indeed does lighten the steering. It also takes some weight off the front end, so you have to adjust your riding style if you push it hard.

I forgot to add these pics of my old Guzzi as compared to the new one. You'll notice that the PO of my V11 actually already drilled the triple clamps :homer: to add aftermarket bars. I've reinstalled the factory clip-ons for a more comfortable position because the ones he installed were not nearly wide enough to feel stable. It made the whole bike seem unwieldy. The factory clip ons are MUCH better, but riding the T3 makes me want the dirt bike bars back.

Any thoughts or comments?guz.jpg

another pic.

guz2.jpg

It looks like you have an old Jaguar in the garage :grin:It must be nice to have so many motorized toys :notworthy:

I am undoubtedly a motorized man who is lucky enough to have stumbled upon some worthy acquisitions. I'll post a pic of my E-type, but will include an obligatory motorcycle in front to make it at least motorcycle-related.

Thanks for your compliment.....errrr....observation, though I must admit that I've been enjoying the V11 more than all of them lately. :bike:

Norton912.jpg

:2c: nice norton but needs that fastback rear section... :thumbsup:

I am undoubtedly a motorized man who is lucky enough to have stumbled upon some worthy acquisitions. I'll post a pic of my E-type, but will include an obligatory motorcycle in front to make it at least motorcycle-related.

Thanks for your compliment.....errrr....observation, though I must admit that I've been enjoying the V11 more than all of them lately. :bike:

Moto Intl. has a tank bag. I think we can still get the bags. I will check. We have put Ballabio (essentially the same as Tuono) bars on many V11s. It is expensive, though. It's far cheaper to get some generic risers for 7/8-inch bars, bolt them to your top triple clamp, and then experiment to find the right bars for your needs.

Gary:

I found a set of Tekno brackets, and a set of the complete assemblies with bags. I can give more details offline, or on.