Breva vs V11 cam

Bruce Reader

G'day to all in Guzzi land !

I have recently had some head work done to the Scura- Including before and after dyno. Work done inluded, Head shaved, thinner gasket, Stucchi crossover, and replacement of the cam (cam was pitted), and new map.

The results so far have been less than remarkable. The cam was replaced with one from the Breva. I am told as it is supposed to be the same.

I have a feeling that the cams may be quite a bit different (Euro 1-2 changes?).

Could i call on the combined knowledge this board re specs and part numbers of the cams used froom v11 series and the Breva series ?

Regards

Bruce

cam breva: 05053331

cam v11: 37053305

v11 timing:

ASPIRAZIONE

• Apre 22° prima del P.M.S.

• Chiude 54° dopo il P.M.I.

SCARICO

• Apre 52° prima del P.M.I.

• Chiude 24° prima del P.M.S.

for breva I can't find more than :

exhaust valve maximum lift: 106° B.T.D.C. of overlap

inlet valve maximum lift: 104° A.T.D.C. of overlap

but I won't expect more power from a breva cam, they had to be euro3 so softer.

Thanks for the info. The work being done is pretty much the same as the mechanics previous sport 1100i- (see link http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/sport1100.html). About a 10hp increase.

He was told the Breva cam was the same as the V11 series and it didnt click with me at the time it may be different.

Guzziology states on pg 5-25

V11/Sport 1100i intake opens 22 deg btdc Breva 1100 10deg btdc

V11/Sport 1100i intake closes 54 deg abdc Breva 1100 38deg abdc

V11/Sport 1100i exhaust opens 52 deg bbdc Breva 1100 40deg bbdc

V11/Sport 1100i exhaust closes 24 deg atdc Breva 1100 8 deg atdc

I'm no mechanic/engineer but this would appear to restrict the motors intake charge ?? therefore less to compress/explode- therefore less power?

Any further thoughts ?

Regards

Bruce

I'm no mechanic/engineer but this would appear to restrict the motors intake charge ?? therefore less to compress/explode- therefore less power?

Any further thoughts ?

Regards

Bruce

Is the setting clearance different? Personally I'd be very surprised if there was a huge difference between the cams. Certainly if I was going to cam-up a V11, (Which isn't something I'd bother doing for the road.) I wouldn't be using an 'Out of the box' grind.

Pete

Hi Pete. hope you and your family are doing okay. Thanks for all your efforts on the plate and taking the time for a beer with Kim and I-(even though i rode in on a 1200gs :huh2: )

The performance improvement Brad at Moto One had gained on his Sport 1100i was what we were going for with the Scura. Increased comp, better crossover- (like the Scura on the Moto One website) and map to suit. See- www.moto-one.com.au/performance/sport1100.html

The cam change was only due to the discovery of my cam being worn/pitted prematurely.

My thoughts were that the different (Breva) cam had countered (not allowed) the other improvements. The only particular difference to Brads Sport is the fact we have tried without twin plugging it, as he has since seen his old bike running fine without it.

I would not have thought that the twin plugging would be the culprit. this would allow better burn efficiency/timing changes maybe.

The other difference was Brads bike had his own exhaust made but noted no particular difference to the bike -(other than free flowing cans Hindles i think. mine has Remus).

Regards

Bruce

ps. Pete i traded the 1200gs on a Ducati S4Rs last month at Moto One.

Bruce

When I would be in need of a new cam, I would go to an aftermarket brand with approx. 0.5 mm more lift and slightly shorter timing.

This could cure the torque dip at 4000rpm.

Maybe Bruno Sola or HMB or Dynotec have the right cams for this purpose. The valve springs and retainers have not to be changed as the V11 has good parts built in.

A discussion about the Scola OSS cam was not long ago in the forum, see