Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?

jrt

When do you open presents? (if you do)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When do you open Christmas presents?

• On Christmas Eve
    • On Christmas Morning
    • We open the coal sack when it gets cold

So, it should be obvious- I'm curious...

My wife and I are having a discussion about when to open Christmas presents. She wants to wait until the morning, I want to open family presents on C. Eve, then let the kids open Santa's presents on Christmas morning. Just curious about what ya'll do.

So, it should be obvious- I'm curious...

My wife and I are having a discussion about when to open Christmas presents. She wants to wait until the morning, I want to open family presents on C. Eve, then let the kids open Santa's presents on Christmas morning. Just curious about what ya'll do.

umh, Jason, there is no such thing as Santa :D

I love trying to spoil Christmas.

But I am just kidding. Santa delivers overnight, like FedEx, so you must wait till morning, with the kids.

If you open presents before Christmas morning, Santa will bring you nothing...

Don't ask how I know :(

We don't do Christmas presents. A lot of dutch and belgian families celebrate St. Nicolaas' birthday on December 5th.

But the last few years there is a trend towards gifts at Christmas.

A picture of St. Nicolaas and his black helpers, all called Pete: (not very PC, but it's tradition that goes way back)

sinterklaas-2005-018.jpg

We don't do Christmas presents. A lot of dutch and belgian families celebrate St. Nicolaas' birthday on December 5th.

But the last few years there is a trend towards gifts at Christmas.

A picture of St. Nicolaas and his black helpers, all called Pete: (not very PC, but it's tradition that goes way back)

sinterklaas-2005-018.jpg

:2c: so does slavery still exist in holland? :(

No! As I said, this tradition is 100's of years old and was started when slavery wasn't a problem... therefore it's not very PC! But recently there is a trend towards a more PC St. Nicolaas celebration. Pete is no longer a "servant" but a "helper" or "employee".

To give you an idea on how deep this tradition is rooted in Holland: the black Surinam minority celebrate it too!

in Belgium it's actually on December 6th.

No! As I said, this tradition is 100's of years old and was started when slavery wasn't a problem... therefore it's not very PC! But recently there is a trend towards a more PC St. Nicolaas celebration. Pete is no longer a "servant" but a "helper" or "employee".

they are called Zwaarte Piet here, i guess they are called that in Holland too:)

5:22 AM Eastern Standard Time.

My 7 year-old just woke me up a few minutes ago, ready to pounce on the mound of preseents beneath the tree - but he can't until Mom awakens........

Opening gifts Christmas Eve sounds a lot better at this early hour.

I wish everything wasn't so PC in the US, a lot of things have changed since I was a kid. People need to learn to just chill out and respect each others beliefs instead of trying to make it so they never have to see anyone elses beliefs. :huh2:

I mean I don't mind seeing haunaka things or even the made up kwanza but instead they want everything gone. Not trying to make a political thread here I guess I miss the good ole days of forced christmas carols and chocking down nog.

I wish everything wasn't so PC in the US, a lot of things have changed since I was a kid. People need to learn to just chill out and respect each others beliefs instead of trying to make it so they never have to see anyone elses b

eliefs. :huh2:

I mean I don't mind seeing haunaka things or even the made up kwanza but instead they want everything gone. Not trying to make a political thread here I guess I miss the good ole days of forced christmas carols and chocking down nog.

and three or four nogs can be a good thing

And WTF is wrong with 'Santa's Helpers' being black for heavens sakes??? Is someone saying they are somehow inferior :bbblll: God, (if you believe in Him.) give us strength! So the fictitious Fat Bloke has black helpers in Holland. How long do we all have to hang on to all the BS from hundreds of years ago. Sure there are still racial and religious issues but Buddha on a Bike, it's a celebration of either a faith based or non faith based holiday. Surely we don't have to haul all the guilt and baggage from our great, great grandparents generations into it :huh2:

The whole 'Politically Correct' thing is insane. What next? Santa's helpers all have to be non-gender specific single parent creatures of more than single cell form? Bring back the 'Gay Whales for Nuclear Disarmament' I say.

Ahhhh! That's better :grin: .

Anyway, all the best to all of you, regardless of race or creed, just as long as you're not ugly! BTW, isn't it time we got some more Hooters?

Pete

And WTF is wrong with 'Santa's Helpers' being black for heavens sakes??? Is someone saying they are somehow inferior :bbblll: God, (if you believe in Him.) give us strength! So the fictitious Fat Bloke has black helpers in Holland. How long do we all have to hang on to all the BS from hundreds of years ago. Sure there are still racial and religious issues but Buddha on a Bike, it's a celebration of either a faith based or non faith based holiday. Surely we don't have to haul all the guilt and baggage from our great, great grandparents generations into it :huh2:

The whole 'Politically Correct' thing is insane. What next? Santa's helpers all have to be non-gender specific single parent creatures of more than single cell form? Bring back the 'Gay Whales for Nuclear Disarmament' I say.

Ahhhh! That's better :grin: .

Anyway, all the best to all of you, regardless of race or creed, just as long as you're not ugly! BTW, isn't it time we got some more Hooters?

Pete

now settle down pete no one was calling you black pommy :D but sadly to me the anti PC peoples are as rantingly annoying as the PC peoples. after studying the pic closely they ''the black petes'' all appear to be female. and the big ho ho jolly fellows helpers allways appear to be male :huh2: and yes more hooters not HO HO's. :oldgit:

Interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus

Any ancient bible scholars have an accurate translation of the hair and wool stuff?

Not that it matters....some of my best friends wear wool :P

But if I had a lawn jockey, I'd paint its face in rainbow colors, but then Mick Jagger might come along and paint it some other color :glare:

Is anyone offended that all the "smilies" are asian, except for these :nl::wub: :!: :2c: and half of this one :moon: I think this one is made in China :thing:

and this one is multi-racial :nopic:

Interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus

Any ancient bible scholars have an accurate translation of the hair and wool stuff?

Not that it matters....some of my best friends wear wool :P

But if I had a lawn jockey, I'd paint its face in rainbow colors, but then Mick Jagger might come along and paint it some other color :glare:

Is anyone offended that all the "smilies" are asian, except for these :nl::wub: :!: :2c: and half of this one :moon: I think this one is made in China :thing:

and this one is multi-racial :nopic:

can I buy whatever drugs youre on?