throttle body balance

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

After fixing the oil pressure problem I'm setting up to do the throttle body balance. I'm reading Guzziology and they say that a gas analyzer is absolutely necessary. Is it? In order to adjust the mixture you also need to get the diagnostic software to adjust the injector pulse width. If so, does any Moto Guzzi dealer have the software for sale or is there a way to download this information. Let me know what you guys do in these same circumstances.

Guest MGDanDiego

After fixing the oil pressure problem I'm setting up to do the throttle body balance. I'm reading Guzziology and they say that a gas analyzer is absolutely necessary. Is it? In order to adjust the mixture you also need to get the diagnostic software to adjust the injector pulse width. If so, does any Moto Guzzi dealer have the software for sale or is there a way to download this information. Let me know what you guys do in these same circumstances.

Ratchedthack can tell you all about this. he lives in Poway, give him haller. Hey, do you post on SoCal Guzzi. they can help at that site as well. I live in SD let me know if I already know you. :luigi:

You won't need the gas analyzer for the tb balancing. You will need a TwinMax or mercury sticks though. The software is necessary to adjust the mixture. I bought a copy from Techno Research that I use on a laptop out in the garage. To do the mixture properly though you will still need a gas analyzer. I use the software mostly for adjusting the TPS.

Randy

You'll need the vacum sticks to adjust the balance fo the throtle bodies as mentioned before.Other than that

TPS voltage has to be adjusted, this can be done with the help of additional software (i.e. technoresearch.com has this VDSTS program with the adaptors for your bike) it can also be done with a voltometer joined at the approriate points at the sensors output. Then you'll need the simplest version of VDSTS to see the egrees of the throtle position as well as other parameters ,so you'll set the things right.

Gas analyser will help for the adjustment of the idle trim, (potentiometer adjusted ,found somewhere in your ECU). this adjustment affects the leanness or richness of your fuel at idle and partially also till 3000rpm.

The workshop manual gives some instructions on how to, but searching on the forum you'll find quite a few approaches to this subject as well,wich are more analetical.

:bier:

P.S. I use the carbtune for the TB's http://www.carbtune.com/

Guest slowpoke

Thanks, for the info. I was looking for that information that Jeff of Ohio had posted (I think on Guzzitech) but I could not find it the last time I looked. Yes, I do have a Twinmax that I purchased quite a long time ago for this exact purpose.

• 8 months later...
Guest Mattress

yer, I get better results by ear too.

Gotta say I'm old school too! Besides audio balancing I manually adjust the idle trim. Requires no expensive Gas Analyzer.

tools: Stop Watch, chair, reading material (optional)

1. Wheel your Guzzi into a garage or a suitably similar enclosed space.

2. Shut garage door

3. Start bike and stop watch

4. Sit down and read

5. When feeling slight head ache or grogginess stop the watch and note time.

6. 10 - 12 minutes should be your result.

7. Repeat with screw adjustment to reach target time.

Gotta say I'm old school too! Besides audio balancing I manually adjust the idle trim. Requires no expensive Gas Analyzer.

tools: Stop Watch, chair, reading material (optional)

1. Wheel your Guzzi into a garage or a suitably similar enclosed space.

2. Shut garage door

3. Start bike and stop watch

4. Sit down and read

5. When feeling slight head ache or grogginess stop the watch and note time.

6. 10 - 12 minutes should be your result.

7. Repeat with screw adjustment to reach target time.

If you pass out earlier, I suppose the mixture is too rich according with your measurements, :wacko:

but you should take in consideration the tolerance of gas analyzer in CO2, due to local air pollution. :rasta:

I am a well trained Athenian :ninja: : so, I might stay half an hour and tell you that your bike is lea....aaan :thumbsup: