2003 Red Lemans tank warped

plexiform

Has anyone else had this happen to their guzzi? There are several areas on the tank that appear to be warped (bubbling outward). Never noticed it before. I've had the bike for 2yrs now and just noticed it the other day. There are several areas on the tank that have this problem. On the right side where your knee rests while riding, the right side just forward from the guzzi logo. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

My tank has either gotten longer or my frame has gotten shorter :(

Maybe the tank suck is a feature :huh2: (that has been missing since I vented the seal)

On the bright side, maybe the capacity has increased :D

But no warping, as far as I can tell.

It is just difficult to get the tank past the front of the rear fairing. :angry: and it was not always like that.

Guest Gary Cheek

Oh-oh! This could be the beginning of a fuel additive incompatibility problem. :( It isn't at all far fetched that some of the new additives may react with our plastic tanks and other fuel contacted elements on our bikes. We should keep a close eye on this. Bear in mind fuel formulae vary from region to region.

depending on the looks and size of these "bubbles" I'd say the paint is lifting off, I've seen it look like ballons and when they pop, you hosed. I got a few small bubbles in my paint but the nice new rosso tank I got doen't have any. :grin:

again I could be wrong but my 2000 silver tank is also too wide for my bike and the forks hit it on both sides, has rub marks from it. I don't get it, only one to have this problem too apparently. Stupid luigi :luigi:

Well the bike definitely has "tank suck". I never noticed the 'whoosh' sound when opening the tank but i heard it loud and clear yesterday when I read the replies on this forum. I have since taken the under tank venting valve off. Fast By Ferracci service department was very helpful to walk me through the procedure over the phone. I just removed the valve and taped the two hose ends together. The bubbling really does not ook like paint bubbling up from teh plastic. The plastic itself is warped. I still dont get how this is related to a venting problem, but ifremoving the valve prevents further warping, thats good enough for me. If I had to paint the tank again i wouldn't be completely devastatd since I know a good painter locally who would do it for a great price, but replacing the tank would be a BIG pain in the butt. The dealership says the tank is $1100....thats simply not an option at this point. Anyway thanks for the replies. Hopefully this solves the problem from getting any worse. I'll keep you posted.

One comment regarding the fuel additives: I dont understand why it would just occur in a few areas and not even right around teh tank opening where one would expect to have accidently spilled some fuel.....but anything is possible.

My new-to-me '02 has some of this "bubbling" on the right side of the tank. On there when I got it. I thought at first the paint itself was lifting but it feels more like the tank material itself. The bubbling areas don't feel any weaker than other area.

No tank suck sound I can hear when opening.

I've also heard that it may be an additive related issue also.

Doesn't seem to have gotten any worse but I've only had the bike 3 weeks.

pb

you can sometimes find a new tank for a good price, I know greg had a rosso tank that needed to be repainted for, now don't quote me I may be off it was like $4-$500 he may still have it and I've seen them on ebay from time to time. I got my near perfect Rosso tank off ebay for $300, whadda steal :grin:

Guest Mattress

Hey Guzzisti:

For those of you in pain with a f'd up tank:

Was it decided on this thread if all V11 tanks are compatible? Did dimensions change when the went to the internal fuel pump?

I am willing to part with a spare gas tank that I have, if it helps another rider. It fits the models with the funky "pad" or whatever that extends forward from the gashole.

I bought it as a spare, in case I ever had a serious wreck, but I wasn't careful buying it and didn't know what I was getting because my bike is an 04 with pump in tank and no tank "pad". So I guess I could make it work considering NOS tanks are $1100+, if I Knock Knock on wood, need to replace mine. Since I dont plan on that I was thinking of what to do with it. Suggestions from friends included: Bong :rasta: and beer bong :bier: . I need new friends We (as in the royal We) thinks.

The tank is Rosso Mandelo red, no gas cap hardware and no "pad". It does have some scratches that were on the tank when I bought it as I wasn't too concerned about paint.

I'd rather part with it to someone whose tank is f'd, dude. So if you wrecked and need a2001-ish tank................. :mg::ninja::nl::race::thing:

Guest Mattress

Well the bike definitely has "tank suck". I never noticed the 'whoosh' sound when opening the tank but i heard it loud and clear yesterday when I read the replies on this forum. I have since taken the under tank venting valve off. Fast By Ferracci service department was very helpful to walk me through the procedure over the phone. I just removed the valve and taped the two hose ends together. The bubbling really does not ook like paint bubbling up from teh plastic. The plastic itself is warped. I still dont get how this is related to a venting problem, but ifremoving the valve prevents further warping, thats good enough for me. If I had to paint the tank again i wouldn't be completely devastatd since I know a good painter locally who would do it for a great price, but replacing the tank would be a BIG pain in the butt. The dealership says the tank is $1100....thats simply not an option at this point. Anyway thanks for the replies. Hopefully this solves the problem from getting any worse. I'll keep you posted.

One comment regarding the fuel additives: I dont understand why it would just occur in a few areas and not even right around teh tank opening where one would expect to have accidently spilled some fuel.....but anything is possible.

Dude:

My valve is removed too. Most will tell you you can leave it in place but you need to brace it so that it is within 20° of vertical. My engineering beer sloshed brain is screaming there must be a better valve on the market, maybe from Parker-Hannifen, or one with a more generous tip over angle.

The downside of removing the valve is a fuel spill. The shift pedal on my V11 came from big bike rick who crashed his and it burned due to fuel spilling.

Guest Gary Cheek

A fuel additive could penetrate into the plastic in a few areas for whatever reason. Depending upon the type of plastic and or lamintes the tank is made from. A small pinhole or thin spot on the interior could allow for a localized reaction. The tank thicness may vary as well and the thinner areas would likely be subject .

I only mentioned it because my buddy's KTM just had a similar situation going when he put some new fangled gas in it. The tank had a few random soft spots. He dumped the fuel and dried the tank with an air hose. The tank seems OK for now but the fuel had a definite role in the problem.

I'm putting my valve back in (thanks Greg for sending me a used one! :thumbsup: ) as my bike fell over in my shop last spring, dumping a ton of gas on my tile/plywood shop floor. Comes out a lot faster than you'd think!

Between that and BigBikerRick having his bike go up in flames after a very low speed drop have convinced me that this valve is rather important. Will be mounting it vertically next time tank is off.

cheers,

Rj

I'm putting my valve back in (thanks Greg for sending me a used one! :thumbsup: ) as my bike fell over in my shop last spring, dumping a ton of gas on my tile/plywood shop floor. Comes out a lot faster than you'd think!

Between that and BigBikerRick having his bike go up in flames after a very low speed drop have convinced me that this valve is rather important. Will be mounting it vertically next time tank is off.

cheers,

Rj

I just finished tie wrapping the valve to keep it vertical. It wasn't easy because the tubing was clamped to the tank fitting with a one-time use crimped steel band. Perhaps other models just had the hose slip onto a barb fitting, as was the case with the adjacent drain hose on my bike.

I decided to cut the steel clamp off. It looked extremely difficult to keep the tubing from the valve to the tank short enough to avoid the spaghetti effect and still be able to get to the replacement clamp to tighten it. I ended up cutting the lower hose section so I could elevate the tank high enough to get to the new clamp. Next, I lowered the tank to tie wrap the valve in the vertical position, and finally reconnected the lower hose with a brass bib connector and a pair of clamps. With the tank back in place, these two clamps are well hidden.

for the folks who reinstalled the valve and kept it vertical....do you still have tank suck when opening the gas cap or has it solved that problem? Thanks