My 250 mile assesment of my V11 Sport.

Richard Z

Guest ratchethack

As my Stay Upright course on 21-1 is in Canberra - just down the road from the aforementioned Mr Roper at Bugendore. I was maybe goin to see if he was in the workshop or the pub and buy him a beer and see if I could smuggle one of those sump baffle plates into my saddle bags on the way out !

A splendid idea, Gregg! Be forwarned, he's been known to be a bit of a crank. If he's just dropped another Ambo flywheel on his toe, he's bound to be a little testy. In this case, best get 'im off to th' pub before negotiations begin . . . . ;)

I highly recommend the Roper plate. Mine was of the highest caliber fit, and after installing, I could NOT make the idiot oil sensor light come on regardless of how hard I launch -- which had not been the case heretofore. . .

I would most certainly negotiate Pete's signature with a dremel on the plate as part of the deal. :whistle:

Roper Plates will no doubt be worth their weight in platinum to Guzzisti for generations to come. . . . :mg:

I had hard starts, cold running, and general shaking, too.

Adjusted my valves, set the TPS and sync'd the TBs and she starts right up, cold, warm... no matter. She still shakes a bit, but that is part of her charming "ride me" dance. And she has always handled great.

If and when it does become winter here I intend to addres my suspension

along with a long list of maint. details...however I don't expect or desire for

my LeMans to be a "flickable" type bike. The smaller tire setup would no doubt

make it quicker handling.

I love the way Lopey the Lama likes to be set up early

and throttled all the way around the arch.. Very "in the pocket" feeling.

It's like apexing at the entrance of the corner...

Instead of diving in then flicking, try setting up your line outside early

and steer with the back wheel and throttle. Might not win any races but it

is a friggin' blast and the guzzi is on rails.

Forget drivin' in hard..breaking hard, flick and throttle.

Use the FORCE Luuuuke...it flows through you...around you...

I swear there's a grove out there that the Guzzi loves and is lovely to ride

and P L E N T Y fast.

Don't push it into corners, Let it pull you through corners.

Just my :2c: Thats what I learned to do (real quick)and feel like I never had so much

fun on a bike. YMMV

OuijiVeck - you're a poet! Riding thermals like a Falcon, Lopey the LLama & Sophia Loren: As usual it's so much better said in analogy & pictures crafted in words - you know Guzzis, you are Guzzi! :thumbsup:

170 doesn't really speed up steering so much as make front/rear turn in much more balanced. It gets rid of the wait between front going in & back following. Course tyres are different. Have you tried Conti SportAttacks? Slowish steering but a beautifully neutral & consistent lean - sooo smoooth! Bet you'd love em.

I agree w VA Sean - If you're fighting it there's something wrong, either in set up (as Ratchet says) or the way you're riding it. Guzzi likes to have it's head - let it show you how it likes to do it. It ain't like no other bike! Not happy in tight nadgery stuff, or when ridden vaguely or inconsistently - smoothness is everything.

Gregg - sounds like you were born to Guzzi!

KB :sun:

"Well, THERE'S Y'ER PROBLEM!" said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw. :P

Not that you've made any "bad" comments, Richard. Not at all, as you've pointed out. But IMHO, you oughta be making lots more "good" ones by now. . . . . ;)

IMHO there aren't any "bad" handling Guzzi's, or even mediocre handling ones -- just "bad" suspension setups, and there's a heap o' those. . . . . <_ it seems the last few years on this forum have exposed an area that sorely neglected far too often. .>

One of our most revered Forum Guzzi Officionados, occasionally referred to as The Oracle of Bungendore (at least by Y'ers Truly), has often recommended suspension setup as fertile ground for the richest of Guzzi harvests -- yes, my friend, He's talking about rewards even beyond those of plumbing the donk for power peaks!! I happen to agree in spades, but that's just me. -_-

May I suggest the following links for the principles behind getting the suspension properly dialed-in, an experience that I guarantee will reward you many times over. IMHO it's the best cost/benefit and smile/mile investment you can make on a V-11, even if you have to upgrade all springs (I did). :wub:

Oh - and if'n you've still got one, get rid of that stock-size 180 rear tire ASAP, in favor of a 170/60. :thumbsup:

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html

http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilheight.htm

Welcome, and have fun. :sun:

Unfortunately, being in Kansas has its drawbacks in the middle of winter. I don't have the luxury of California weather. I only get maybe, one day a week to ride for just a couple of hours and when I'm done I put the bike back into cold storage. No time to actually get to the tuning of the bike.

If everyone purchased a bike and spent the better part of 5 - 6 hours of tuning the suspension before putting some miles on it, then we all would get tired of buying new and different machines. Especially when the weather doesn't condone it. My assesment was only to post my first impressions as I got it out of the box not to give it any bad reviews. I think I mentioned it was my new favorite bike. Picked over several bike that I have owned for more than 20 years and have spent hours if not days tuning the suspension for my liking.

Richard Z.

Guest ratchethack

My apologies for any mistaken assumptions on my part, Richard. :blush:

Generally speaking, despite any history of riding experience & (in y'er case) list of prev. owned bikes (as indicated in y'er sig.), it's been my experience lately that this is NO indicator whatsoever of any sense of appreciation for the value of proper chassis setup. IMHO it's become more of a "lost art" that's more of a rare exception these days, when once it was more of a "rule", but I digress...... <_<

So if y'er fully up to speed on it and have plans to discover wot Guzzi engineers have actually provided in terms of handling, please forgive. This being the case, IMHO you are indeed a bit of rare bird, my friend. My hat's off to you. -_-

Wot better time for suspension setup than whilst "Ridin' the Storm Out" as that Kansas snow blasts by horizontally this winter, and that nice, warm space heater's a-blazin' away in the garage, eh? ;):lol:

My apologies for any mistaken assumptions on my part, Richard. :blush:

Generally speaking, despite any history of riding experience & (in y'er case) list of prev. owned bikes (as indicated in y'er sig.), it's been my experience lately that this is NO indicator whatsoever of any sense of appreciation for the value of proper chassis setup. IMHO it's become more of a "lost art" that's more of a rare exception these days, when once it was more of a "rule", but I digress...... <_>

So if y'er fully up to speed on it and have plans to discover wot Guzzi engineers have actually provided in terms of handling, please forgive. This being the case, IMHO you are indeed a bit of rare bird, my friend. My hat's off to you. -_-

Wot better time for suspension setup than whilst "Ridin' the Storm Out" as that Kansas snow blasts by horizontally this winter, and that nice, warm space heater's a-blazin' away in the garage, eh? ;):lol:

Internet sarcasm and thoughts are usually lost in Black and white print. I took nothing you said as a criticism but good knowledge gained by informed and knowledgable individual. We know nothing of each other habits and lifestyles. Mine has gone in the crapper lately as all my bikes are scattered among friends and relatives homes due to a seperation from my shop, oh yes, my wife too. My mind isn't set on doing a lot with my V11 until better times. My assesment was just me, spending time with like individuals with the same interests. Just thought my take on the new bike might interest others. I like to tinker. Right now I'm putting back together for the 3rd time my 1982 Eddie Lawson Replica. Me and a Mitsubishi Eclipse tried to share MY lane and well I lost and the Eclipse and barbwire won. The V11 spends its time in a climate control 5'x10' storage unit and can be accessd only to ride when weather permits. The winter gives me time to look and watch others, to see what they are doing and to take that knowledge and use it as well.....

Richard Z.

Richard,

It's been 2 months since I bought my 2001 V11 Sport.Only three tankfulls in & I love it.

It has managed to vibrate a couple of bolts loose,but has proved reliable during the cold mornings in London town.Just waiting for it to warm up a bit,then i'll take for a blast round some country lanes.

Only gripe,the fuel consumption's poor,about 40 mpg around town.

Richard,

It's been 2 months since I bought my 2001 V11 Sport.Only three tankfulls in & I love it.

It has managed to vibrate a couple of bolts loose,but has proved reliable during the cold mornings in London town.Just waiting for it to warm up a bit,then i'll take for a blast round some country lanes.

Only gripe,the fuel consumption's poor,about 40 mpg around town.

Geoff-

That is actually great mileage for these bikes.

I've only gotten 40+ mpg when I was on the super slab, in 6th holding +/-80 mph for extended periods.

Otherwise, I generally get 30-35 mpg.

Geoff-

That is actually great mileage for these bikes.

I've only gotten 40+ mpg when I was on the super slab, in 6th holding +/-80 mph for extended periods.

Otherwise, I generally get 30-35 mpg.

Geoff's talking about 40mp (imperial) gallon. More like 30-35 to the US. About the same as you.

33-35 MPG while most of the riding has been short trips to work etc.

I've gotten worse and I've gotten better with other bikes. But, If my riding experience is based on fuel economy then back to the bicycle....

Richard Z. :P

Richard, as was previous mentioned, it takes some miles for these babies to get broken in. As an example, I hadn't realized how much my '01 EV had evolved with now 75,000+ miles, until I got the '03 LeMans. Night and day difference. Keep an eye on the bolts, like the alternator cover, that sort of stuff for a while. Until the engine went through a few heat cycles, I needed to tighten them up after every ride. Now, with 5000+ on the LeMans, the engine feels better and now a bit smoother, but without losing its character. Bolts now stay tight. I do need to get the throttle bodies balanced, however.

It just keeps getting better!! :bier:

Sorry to hear about the other stuff. Been there, done that. Congrats on getting the Guzzi. For many, it becomes a life long love afair. :mg:

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry