Chassis (frame) flex

Guest northend

Guest northend

First I'd like to say hi to everybody! And like the web site. Excuse me if i don't do this right , I'm new to this site. Anyways, I own a 2003 black & gray V11 Le Mans with 818 miles on it and have noticed that when its parked on the side stand, That the gap between the gas tank and the fairing on the right side is closer than the gap on the left side (sometimes almost touching the right side). Is this because the kick stand is bolted to the motor and is causing things to twist a bit,or is there something loose somewhere. I've checked the side motor to frame mounting bolts and they seem OK. Do YOUR bikes do this also?.This has me kinda nervous not knowing if this is common or not.

PLEASE RESPOND......Thanks,Northend

Hi Northend, and welcome :)

Question for you: is the gap inconsistency always like this, or only present when on the side-stand?

Simple answer from my end, no my frame and bodywork does not move, twist, or change alignment in any way. The bike is very stiff. If the answer to my question above is "yes, it is always like this" then I would have to say that the bodywork is simply unevenly mounted, which you can adjust. If the answer is "no, it moves", then either the bodywork is loose and/or you may have a subframe member loose, but I think that's very unlikely as you would have noticed when riding... I would think anyway.

I've never seen nor heard of this before though... that is, the bodywork moving around when the bike is on the sidestand.

Let us know what you find...

al

OR the tank is moving because of the weight from the gas, or I would check the bolts that mount the front engine subframe to the frame, These bolts tend to come loose, I lost one once, and a friend too. I do mount them with a little loctite. When you take the tank off you can see all. Or 3rd option, There is something realy wrong with the frame and then you need to contact your dealer. It is a new bike, so there can be some production fault.

There have been a few instances of broken motor mount weld points and weld fractures on the front/steering head sub-frame on the earlier Sport 1100s. Worth checking anyhow, as it would be very dangerous to have a failure while riding.

Guest northend

Hey guys!, Thanks for the replies Al, Paul, Carl, & Murray. I think I gotta go with Paul on this one (love your bike paul). I believe the tank is moving around. I rode "The Guzz" today, The first decent day we've had in michigan in a week. When I gassed it through the yard, the gaps on both sides got bigger, meaning the tank probibly slid back a bit. Being a mechanic for so many years I notice stupid stuff like this. But as you all suggested, I'm gonna check all the mounts also. I don't want to find myself riding a uni-cycle down the road some day. I thougth i only had to do this stuff with my old Harley!!! Thanks again for the replies.......Northend

Oh and nice collection of bikes Carl

p.s. Would'nt a newbie on a Guzzi chat line be a newzzi?

p.p.s. How do I move the smiles to my letter? And any tricks to getting the gas tank off?

78 FX Harley

03 Le Mans

47 Chevy

p.s. Would'nt a newbie on a Guzzi chat line be a newzzi?

p.p.s. How do I move the smiles to my letter? And any tricks to getting the gas tank off?

Well, if the tanik is moving around, there is only one bolt holding it on, so check that it's actually "there" :lol:

Other than that, the tank rests on two rubber bumpers at the nose, and those are bolted to welded-on tabs. So it could be that one is missing or somehow loose I suppose.

Regarding smilies... just "click" on one, or "mouse-over" and see the text required and you can type it in yourself B)

And removing the tank... just remove the bolt at the rear of the tank, and lift. You'll need to have unhooked the fuel supply and return lines of course, and the breather/drain hoses up underneath. The 2003 may be a bit different with the quick disconnects, but it ought to pretty much be the same.

al