v11 sport- 1200s comparison

dlapierre

I'm into my second year with my 03' V11 sport. I love it. It's full of character. But, we seem to always be on the lookout for more and better, right?

With that in mind, last week I tried out an 1100 Breva and a Norge. On first impressions, I found the Breva more familiar feeling, but it didn't seem to have the character of the V11.

Don't ask me to define character. I can't define it. It's a pretty intangible thing. What I do know is that, with the slightly lowered seat on the V11 and tight suspension, I feel nicely tucked into the bike and that I have a good feel for the road under me. I also don't mind having to lean forward somewhat. It makes me feel that I am actually driving the critter rather than just sitting on it while it moves.

I didn't like either enough to switch bikes.

I've yet to try a 1200s. The nearest one is 4 hours away.

Who among you has ridden the 1200s and what are your impressions relative to the various iterations of the V11?

I'm into my second year with my 03' V11 sport. I love it. It's full of character. But, we seem to always be on the lookout for more and better, right?

With that in mind, last week I tried out an 1100 Breva and a Norge. On first impressions, I found the Breva more familiar feeling, but it didn't seem to have the character of the V11.

Don't ask me to define character. I can't define it. It's a pretty intangible thing. What I do know is that, with the slightly lowered seat on the V11 and tight suspension, I feel nicely tucked into the bike and that I have a good feel for the road under me. I also don't mind having to lean forward somewhat. It makes me feel that I am actually driving the critter rather than just sitting on it while it moves.

I didn't like either enough to switch bikes.

I've yet to try a 1200s. The nearest one is 4 hours away.

Who among you has ridden the 1200s and what are your impressions relative to the various iterations of the V11?

Yes I've ridden the 1200S, and a Breva 1100. I was interested as well at a possible upgrade [no sense in going sideways or a step down]. Essentially, if you take the bodywork off of each, it's the same bike. If there's more power out of the 1200S, I'd have to wait to break in each, and do a roll on right together, seat of the pants, it's close. Anyways, the thing that pissed me off the most with the 1200S is that they put on classic low handlebars, but use the same footpeg location. So you are making a reach forward, but your feet are then in front of your main body core, instead of where I think they should be, right under your hip bone. This confirms for me that this is literally a cosmetic makover, nothing else. That said, it's looks sportier, 'in' better. Still has that useless fobbery chrome thing below the tank, thankfully eliminated with the Norge.

The EFI is the standard upgraded system which includes the computer controlled cold start system.

Steve

I've ridden the 1200S and noticed the same things Steve G. has, especially the foot pegs. The shifter was very close to the sidestand spur. If the instruments are more reliable than my ITI gages I'll be happy but I don't much care for the way they are styled. The one I rode had a metal muffler that was machined to somewhat resemble carbon fiber, it had a nice tone to it. I did not in town the throttle was either more sensitive than the V11 or the programming for injection was off. It was more herky jerky at low speed creeping in traffic. But the 1200 motor did not seem to have that dip/flat spot the V11 does. The suspension was firm but comfortable and the gearbox was silky smooth.

Change the pegs, paint that chrome strip black, put high double pipes like the photos on the website and I'd be happy. I'm just not ready to give up the Ballabio.

Dave

I've ridden the 1200S and noticed the same things Steve G. has, especially the foot pegs. The shifter was very close to the sidestand spur. If the instruments are more reliable than my ITI gages I'll be happy but I don't much care for the way they are styled. The one I rode had a metal muffler that was machined to somewhat resemble carbon fiber, it had a nice tone to it. I did not in town the throttle was either more sensitive than the V11 or the programming for injection was off. It was more herky jerky at low speed creeping in traffic. But the 1200 motor did not seem to have that dip/flat spot the V11 does. The suspension was firm but comfortable and the gearbox was silky smooth.

Change the pegs, paint that chrome strip black, put high double pipes like the photos on the website and I'd be happy. I'm just not ready to give up the Ballabio.

Dave

Totally agree with your thoughts.

Steve

Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) magazine just did a review on the V12S. As I recall, they liked nearly everything about the bike EXCEPT for the handlebars, which they felt were too low and forward.

Some 1200S owners swap the bars for either Aprilia Tuono or Mana items which give a better riding position.

A couple of friends have 1200 Sports, and enjoy riding them. I think they look good, and are much better built than the V11.

Don't believe the original Guzzi hype about it being a Sports bike with 105bhp- you are looking at about 77rwbhp.

It is simply a better looking Breva- and none the worse for it.

124212427208_0_SM.jpg

The only time I ever had “sellers remorse” was the day after I sold my ’04 Lemans. It was the red and black one –gorgeous. It had a brace of M4 carbon cans, a Stucchi x-over, Mike Rich hi-compression pistons, PC III and custom map – and the thing ran perfectly -84 RWHP.

I replaced it with a Ducati Multistrada; a thousand miles and one month later I hated the bike and replaced that with a Triumph Daytona 675. That was a nice bike but limited in its function as a ‘tour-er.’

Last February I treated myself to a new 1200 Sport. I now have 6,000 trouble free miles on the clocks and enjoy the bike more and more every day. I agree with ‘Steve G’ and ‘VR6Dave’ with a number of issues. I have always ridden with the balls of my feet on the pegs; this is more difficult on the 1200 Sport because of the shape of the castings holding the foot-rests. I no longer notice it unless I’m really hustling in the canyons and I turn my knee out and my heels in. The Handlebar: I bought the “recommended’ Aprilia Tuono bar but never installed it. I now like OEM piece. It’s a bit wide but you only notice it when making u-turns. As far as your foot hitting the side stand during up-shifts, I only noticed it when I first rode the bike. It is no longer an issue – and I run my shift lever quite low.

The 1200 Sport is exponentially more comfortable then my Lemans. 400+ mile days are a breeze. Well not quite, because my knees don’t fold like they use to 20 years ago. But the saddle is as good, if not better, than on any bike I’ve ridden hitherto.

I don’t think the bike is built any better then the Lemans. The instruments are ‘complete’ and I love all the options but it is plastic and looks a little cheap. The hardware are the usual Guzzi high standard. The fit and finish is good but not perfect. And the performance of the motor feels stronger but the numbers say it ain’t so. What is available from DynoJet won’t work on the new MG’s so the fuel metering isn’t perfect. There is some “jerky-ness” at very small throttle inputs so it isn’t perfect. The handling is better in that the bike feels lighter and is more “flick-able.” The weight distribution is better, more 50-50, on the 1200 Sport and you can feel it.

I no longer regret selling my Lemans. I love this new bike and it will only get better.

124212427208_0_SM.jpg

I have a good friend who bought a 1200 Sport after riding with a mate & me on a Griso 850 and my own V11. He previously rode a GS1150 BMW and envied our Guzzis for the indefinable character they had when he codged us to swap rides. After buying his 1200 Sport and still doing bike swaps with us he still thought it was missing something, so has changed the exhaust to an aftermarket Italian twin can set up and had the suspension rebuilt with far more rear pre-load adjustment & revalved forks.

Now when we swap, it definitely has more performance up high than my V11 and is far more stable through the corners than it used to be - firmer than my V11 without being jarring. I think with these changes it is a rival for a V11 with mods. I find the bars still too upright for my liking on the 1200 Sport, but have not noticed a problem with the peg position.

I will still be sticking with my V11.

Look, it's very hard to give a definitive answer to which is *Better*. They are both very different.

The Breva 1200 Sport is still basically a Breva witha bit of bling. No fault in that, but it's not nearly as rip-snorty as a V11, although it will probably be *faster* at the end of a very long straight.

The *new* bikes ARE a lot better finished, more sophisticated and more comfortable than most V11's. But they don't, at least in my opinion, have the character of the older bikes. Of the *New* pushrod engined bikes the Griso is the pick of the bunch as far as performance goes, it may not be the fastest but it has the best suspension and the stiffest frame, far better than the Breva in whatever form it takes.

At the end of the day you can only make a decision based on your own observations. Take both for a test ride and see what you think?

Pete

Having now got an 8V I have to say that compared to it anything, ANYTHING, (With the exception of earlier Hi-Cams that have been set up excellently.) previously sold is just not even close to the ball park!

Having now got an 8V I have to say that compared to it anything, ANYTHING, (With the exception of earlier Hi-Cams that have been set up excellently.) previously sold is just not even close to the ball park!

...which is why we are eagerly awaiting the V12 (V14?) 8 valve Lemans!

Now when we swap, it definitely has more performance up high than my V11

That would be the longer con rod [larger rod-ratio] doing its thing... :nerd:

Hej-

I have gone this way, California SS -02 too V11 LeMans -02 and now for a year 1200 Norge -07.

The best one is the last one, in every aspect, and I did last weekend a realy racy test on a 1200 Sport wich is just funnier then my own Norge, probably because of better tyres and the lower weight.

I sad realy rasy testing, because I rode it at the Metzelers event on Isle of Man, 3 laps around the famous TT-corse.

No speed limits in the mountainroads and guided by the IOM legend Helmuth Dänhe and a bunch of journalist from bikemags in euorpe, I can tell the speed on my 1200 S was max out at 135 miles/h about 220 km/h along the downhill strait. In this type of riding the pos of handelbars are absolut right but now then I´m back home on restricted roads again the higher handelbars on my Norge are more comfy but not as sporty and fun.

I´m not an ex bike racer as most of the journalist were but I did, if a can tell my self, a good job on the 1200 S and hold the pace right close to them on the groupride but I had to maxout the 1200 S engine.

You can see one of my own pics here and I will post the official pics the phototeam tooked at me while riding then I get them. IMGP3756.JPG

V11= Classic styling Roadster slightly underpowered,QC problems,some bad design flaws,most small,some LARGE(Scura clutch)

V12= Funky style standard with improved electronics,suspension,seat

With all it's flaws I'd still take the V11 home