Another 'ethanol' caused tank warpage

Steve G.

Hi Bob

I'm in the UK but on the basis that if John has done one, then the next one might be easier....Could you give me please a contact email or number? How much did that beauty cost?

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

John William's phone number is on his website The Tank Shop. He does not communicate via e-mail and prefers phone calls. The price I paid was also posted on his site and when I bought it was 450 British Pouinds. Based on the costs of replacing with a "new" plastic one, even if you could get one, this was a bargain IMHO.

He told me he had done one previously and why he said he was quicker than his stated 20 weeks. I was tempted to change the shape/style but where I was keeping the stck tail (at least for now) I thought a replica would be the best option for me.

Bob

Very nice ally tank.......at around £450 compares well with the new guzzi ones currently on e bay for around same money, however they are factory painted. Wonder if anyone could repaint an alloy tank Rosso Mandello red?....hmmmm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears I may have inadvertantly put some ethanol laced fuel in my fuel tank,,,,,it seems to be showing slight 'characteristics' of this well documented problem. When putting the headstock at full lock both ways, the tank is within 1/8" of touching the fork tubes. Clearly the front of the tank, the two "winglets" which protrude forward, are spreading apart allowing themselves to be contacted.

At this point, I'm assuming a new fuel tank for a 1999-2001 V11 to be unobtainium, so I'm kind of pissed off at the whole thing,,,,Acerbis for making fuel tanks out of plastic that cannot handle a basic additive to currently available gasolines,,,and to Al Gore and the U.S.A. government for feeding the bullshite to the world that ethanol is going to save trees, or something else wild and virgin.

If I drain the tank [which I'm currently doing] and let it sit for a couple months with a rubber strap carefully wrapped around the front to close it up a bit, what may I assume might happen? Anybody else who have had this problem sind a solution?

Cheers, Steve

Like Ducati, Aprilia also suffers from tank swelling due to ethanol. The guys at AF1 Racing have had success drying them out. They say to remove the fill cap and sending unit to allow as much air flow as possible and they eventually (over weeks) return to original size and shape.

From what I understand it is the moisture that the ethanol absorbs that gets into the material and causes the swelling. Both my Guzzi and Ape tanks are swelled enough to give difficulty when remounting. I planned to dry both out over the winter but as of yet I have not found the time to do it.

To answer Hubert, We do have 10% but talk of 15% for 2007 and newer vehicles is coming. ...Thank Gore who now admits he was politically motivated for pushing ethanol on us. :bbblll:

• 1 month later...

Hi all. My Roso tank is now so swollen it is chafing badly at the rear and fouling the fork tubes on full lock at the front.

I had cause to remove the tank last week and now I find it will not remount to the bolt holes!

It has swollen around 4mm in size.

I am considering moving the top front rubber mountings forward a few mm to allow the rear mounting to be bolted up and to clear the chafing around the sidecover to tank area. This is pretty bad and the tank looks thin where its chafed.

I am unhappy at the situation, a fuel tank should outlast the bike.....ok its 8yrs old but if it had been made of A SUITABLE MATERIAL it would still be fine. If I had the time and money I would take Guzzi to Court,it was never 'fit for purpose'.I wonder if it would stand up in Court this arguement.

A fuel tank is not a wearing item and should last the life of the bike.

Andy C

That's life ! Buy an aluminum fuel tank and get it anodized. There is a company (in England)The Tank Shop. Look on the site here and get the web address and look them over. Pricey, yes: beautiful, YES.

Hi all. My Roso tank is now so swollen it is chafing badly at the rear and fouling the fork tubes on full lock at the front.

Andy, did you see Dan M's post above? Sounds like something to try. Though I have a steel tank :) which means my problems come later but are worse :huh:

I rarely have much to say about appearances... but...

WOW.

As for suing Guzzi about incorrect tank materials, how were they responsible for the change in mandated fuels, often a local municapaility issue? The material was suitable for fuel used at the time worldwide and still is in most areas. Perhaps you should sue the EPA and the ethanol industry. I sure you could quickly get it classified as a Class Action, I would sign up. :)

I rarely have much to say about appearances... but...

WOW.

As for suing Guzzi about incorrect tank materials, how were they responsible for the change in mandated fuels, often a local municapaility issue? The material was suitable for fuel used at the time worldwide and still is in most areas. Perhaps you should sue the EPA and the ethanol industry. I sure you could quickly get it classified as a Class Action, I would sign up. smile.gif

AMEN!!!!

The more I look at this tank, the more I want one...........a polished aluminum, a red anodized, a green anodized and a black anodized tank.

Oh yeah: a blue one too. I wonder if he will give a discount to multiple purchases?

Hmmmm..... that's $3600 w/o freight.... I wonder if ponti leaves his bike outside at night?

Wow that is absolutely gorgeous. My tank as well is warped big time, last time I had it off I wasn't sure it was going to make it back on the fit was so poor. Front left fork hits now and the rear section looks pretty bad with waves through it from the bubbling. I'll have to try taking it off this coming winter and letting it sit fuel free. It'd be great if it would shrink back to size some. Otherwise ya might see some weirdo with a bashed CB tank on his V11 up here in the PNW.

I read recently that the EPA is trying to get up to 20% Ethanol in our fuels by 2012. :(

I had a ducati sport classic that was plagued by this problem, and they gave me a couple of new tanks under warranty. Of course, these expanded also. I do keep in touch with many folks who had the same problem (Ducati.ms has several very large threads devoted to this subject) and many have reported that if you get the new tank coated with Caswell the problem will be cured. Also, many have reported that by hanging their tanks out to dry as mentioned earlier in this thread, the tanks do regain their original shape. Then they get coated. I would suggest this to be the method to try first, as long as you have a spare bike to ride (I always made sure I had more than one during my years of guzzi ownership).

• 1 month later...

I can't help showing her off! :thumbsup:

The Tank Shop

Bob

Beautiful, which tank is that? I can't seem to find that exact one on the site and it looks to be an almost perfect replica of the stock one.

Was this a direct bolt-on for your bike? I have an 04 Cafe Sport with the internal regulator that leaks like a sieve and am wondering if this would be a relatively simple replacement for it if I can't get mine fixed.

Cheers