ohlins steering damper for 2001 V11 Sport

banditV11

Hi.

I'm looking to get rid of the stock bitubo damper and replace it with an Ohlins. I searched low and high and can't find one for the 2001 V11 Sport. The Ohlins website doesn't even show any products for Moto Guzzi. Has anyone replaced their bitubo with an Ohlins on a similar bike? If so how do get the right adapter kit that fits the mounting points?

Thanks

I put a HyperPro (part # DS-075RA - 75mm stroke - NOT the one they listed for 97+ V-10/V-11 Sport which was wrong) on my 2000 Sport in 2007 and have been very happy with it ever since. The Bitubo is a piece of crap and leaked almost from day one.

Gio

PS - Love the green wheels ...

I put a HyperPro (part # DS-075RA - 75mm stroke - NOT the one they listed for 97+ V-10/V-11 Sport which was wrong) on my 2000 Sport in 2007 and have been very happy with it ever since. The Bitubo is a piece of crap and leaked almost from day one.

Gio

PS - Love the green wheels ...

Yes, the stock one was junk. We took it off the wifes bike when we noticed the handling got weird. the damper would bind then let go when you tried to turn the forks causing the bike to kinda weave down the road.

We did not replace it but went without. The steering is lighter without one and it does not shake its head.

The Öhlins steering damper on Guzzis is known to develop "start friction" during the years (I don't know the exact english word for it). This can be felt, when you have dismounted the steering damper and test it in your hands. When you try to move the shaft, the movement should start with no "barrier force", very easily. If you feel first a certain "step" or "force", which is needed to start the movement, then it needs servicing. I had mine serviced and the difference (when tested with this method) was surprisingly big. The changed parts were 221301 reservoir, 222202 gasket and 105609 bushing (recommended inspection every 20-30.000 km, mine was 35.000 km).

Öhlins Manual:

"Set the damper to maximum hard by turning the knob clockwise until it stops. Set the damper to 10 clicks counter clockwise towards maximum soft position. Go for a test ride. If your vehicle feels unstable, turn the adjustment knob clockwise two steps at a time, until you have the performance you desire. In urban areas we recommend you to set the steering damper to maximum soft, do not set the damper to less than 5 clicks."

When I tested the steering front wheel up (so that the steering moved easily), the positioin "7 open" was the hardest setting where I felt the movement was very smooth and stable all the way (I moved the steering fast left/right). This is where I use it now. With this test I tried to imitate the wobbling movement, which is said to be a tendency of all V11:s with no (LeMans) -fairing (like Scura) above 120 km/h (at least the models with the shorter axis length).

When I tested the wobbling by giving an impulse to the handle bars above 120 km/h, I do not feel any big difference with different settings. If something, a softer setting cold mean a little less "waves" after the first impulse.

• 10 months later...

The Öhlins steering damper on Guzzis is known to develop "start friction" during the years (I don't know the exact english word for it).

The word is "stiction".

Is that a portmanteau? :nerd: