New Battery

RHIP

I would highly recommend the Ballistic 12 cell Lithium Ferrite.

Super light, compact enough to add a tire plugger, PC3 and small tool kit in the area vacated under the seat, and very low resistance so it cranks the big lump over RIGHT NOW, and recharges super fast too.

The only caveat I would give is if you store your bike outside in cold (sub-freezing) weather and want it to start.   Never and issue for me (fair weather garage queen) but for some it might be.

I'll try to find the model number and post it up.

OK, found the info on the battery.  There is a bit of a catch versus what the Ballistic site lists.

from my order info:

A brief note if you're in touch with Ballistic Performance, I have a 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans, which they list as taking a 16 cell unit.  The 12 cell exceeds the capacity and specs of the stock Yuasa YTX15L battery on every front (an 8 cell probably would even have worked), and there is no way a 16 cell would have fit.  I think they are a bit mixed up in their fit guide, as the 16 cell is replacement for a Yuasa YTX30 not the YTX15.

1     Ballistic Battery 12 Cell EVO 2 Lithium (2lb 5oz) for Built 1000cc, Big Twin Motorcycles
Type:      L, - left, + right   
Your motorcycle:      2004 Moto Guzzi w/ YTX15L

I ordered it from www.solomotoparts.com and the service was great.

Dale, I think I should have gone with your recommendation. I got the Odyssey instead, full metal jacket, and now I can't get the seat to fit. It sure does start the beast right up, but now I have to figure out how to make this work. I'll search the site because I think others have had the same problem. And whoever designed the layout for this battery....if you have ever replaced a simple, upright unit in another bike, you can appreciate what a PITA this swap was.

Check out relocating your battery basket below the front mounts bolting them upward. This lowers the battery basket enough to clear the early seats better. Otherwise, a little judicious use of the Dremel tool on the underside of the seat pan could be needed.

DSCN1206.JPG

I found a sharp edge under the seat pan that cut into the hold down strap as well as "pressure points" that I relieved with the Dremel, but the "basket drop" really made the difference. It was pretty easy, but I LocTited the fasteners since they face up. If the battery basket were to drop down it would be ugly for suspension travel! :o

Good idea! Lowering the front will help no doubt, but in my case it seems to be the rear of the basket that needs dropping a bit too so will investigate options. The bulge in the seat pan (what's that for anyway?) presses on the rear of the battery. The PO lost the strap itself, but no need and no room as the seat presses down hard (too hard?) on the battery. The battery fits in the space but it's v tight hence wanting to relieve at the back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the tray drop, got the seat back on, and the first time I accellerated through the gears it began shorting out. I got home, and realized that I hadn't tightened the two rear nuts for the tray. Got those snugged up, zip-tied some rubber where the positive terminal hit the frame, but having problems getting it to fit. I'll work on it again when my frustration level drops a bit.

There appears to be NO WAY the strap will stretch enough to fit with an Odyssey - it should be locked in place, as tight as the fit is - are others running woithout it? Also, I substituted M6 bolts for the stock Allen head ones supplied with the battery. There appears to be no way to get a regular hex-head key in the limited area available to tighten them up, and they are fractionally taller than the stock terminals.

The Odyssey is a good battery, but it doesn't turn me into Val Rossi, or my Rosso into a superbike. For anyone needing a new battery, buy the smallest that fits and get on with riding. I would never do this again.

I assume it is the full metal jacket version having a slightly larger outer dimension. I have not tried that version, the standard version was enough $$$.

But worth it.