New Battery

RHIP

GuzziMoto is right - I decided to go for the FMJ Odyssey, which is just that much larger in all dimensions to not fit. Finally got the seat on, but it's not proper, so I'll take the battery out and start all over again.

• 1 month later...

Just for interest, what is the original brand and model number of the battery, or other factory recommended models? The handbook makes no mention, other than specifying 13 Ah. I picked up my '02 Le Mans last month, and it died on me on the way home. I changed out the battery with one my local BMW dealer recommended - it was way smaller, and it leaked acid despite the dealer's assurances that it wouldn't when placed on its side. So it went back, and I now have one Guzzi that isn't going anywhere until I get this resolved. The one I replaced (WestCo?) wasn't the original, but the dealer recycled it, so I don't even have that to reference the serial number or the dimensions any more.

I have a Ducati 916 that is running a Motobatt 4-terminal battery - very powerful, and seems like it would be ideal for the laid-flat situation on the Guzzi. However, their website only lists California models for the 1064 engine. Anyone run one of those on a V11?

If it's a bottle filled battery, as opposed to "factory activated", it's a potential leaker, no matter what anyone tells you. For Yuasa, you want YTX15L, not YTX15L-BS or any Yuasa that ends in BS. I buy the "factory activated" YTX15L (no BS :)), at my local Bombardier dealer. They keep them on the shelf.

• Like 1

The original batteries were labeled "Spark 500" as I recall. These are AGM (absorbed glass mat) and designed to lie on their side. Just be sure your seat isn't squeezing your battery!

The Hawker Odyssey PC545 appears identical to the original battery.

• Like 1

Yes the original on the wife's V11 was labeled Sparker 500 or some such. It was a dead ringer for an Odyssey PC545 (non-FMJ). It is a direct, no hassle, swap. A few years back the wifes V11 had her battery go tits up right when we were leaving on a 1500 mile trip to Indy (for the MotoGP race). I had to find a battery that would fit that I could get right then and there. I found one at an auto parts chain that was slightly too big. I managed to make it fit with some creative modifications. No I can use an Odyssey or an auto parts store battery. That is a nice feature when you are out in the middle of no where and you have battery issues. It is nice knowing a common size battery will fit. One trick I used to help the seat pan clear was to use heat to soften the seat pan and a piece of wood to reshape it while it was hot.

Can't see worrying about the battery hold down strap too much as it really can't move with the seat on. But vibration is bad for a battery and if it could move you would definitely want that strap.

No strap... I use a piece of the compressible web foam (like folk put under their luggage to protect the bodywork, or in the bottom of tool drawers) on top of the battery. Allows the seat to hold the battery in place without squashing it and it's a useful way of monitoring the pressure points on the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Direct replacement is either Yuasa YTX15L (only AVAILABLE from OEMS) or Yausa YTX15L-BS or a bit cheaper alternative a BikeMaster Trugel MG15L-BS. Size in mm is 175 x 87 x 130. By the way I sell any of the above at 15% off MSRP. I just ordered BikeMaster for myself today.

Here is a link to BikeMaster cross reference of common size batteries http://www.bikemaster.com/trugel.html

Note that even though Yuasa YTZ14S could easily fit based on size the terminals are not reversed. Later L in Yuasa and BikeMaster specifies that polarities are reversed