rear bevel box

shiloh

a bit of heat and it will slide right out

andy

Pickup lines that never work...

Try "in", Dave. " . . . right in" . . .  :whistle:

LMAO

I got confirmation that as soon as a seal shows up, the order will ship out. I`m not in any real hurry now as the weather up here has gone south.

I`m going to surmise that the bearing has been missing since day one as there is no evidence that one was ever installed. as most who have ever removed and installed close tolerance bearings, there are impression left in the surrounding metal, this is not present, factory fresh, the machining/lathe finish is still, well, factory fresh.

Now that being said, there is evidence that this `box` has been entered in the past, but if serviced by a non, in the know Guzzi tech, how would that tech know what should or shouldn`t be in there. There are plenty of other bearings in there to bare a lot of the load, and most of those are being replaced as they are knackered including the wheel hub bearings.

A snake camera won`t see it as there are spacers in the way, so if you`re worried, then pull it and tear it down, it don`t take long, I think I was about 45mins once the bike was on the service stand.

My bike has relatively low mileage and lucky that way, if your bike is a high miler the odds are probably in your favor its good, (should `ave bought a lottery ticket), the odds of this happening in 2000 are probably, one or three in how ever many were build(v11`s) that yr, not withstanding all the other various models made.

I do wonder if this was build on a Friday :huh2: who knows.

• Like 1

Most of the Guzzi “pros” are flabbergasted that the rear end works without that bearing. There must be something about the V11 rear end that’s making it possible to run without that bearing. Obviously the rear wheel isn’t falling off. Do we have a clear indication of what year bikes are missing the bearing from the three reported cases? Seems to be early ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a bit of heat and it will slide right out

andy

Pickup lines that never work...

Try "in", Dave. " . . . right in" . . . :whistle:

That’s why I said it wouldn’t work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we have a clear indication of what year bikes are missing the bearing from the three reported cases? Seems to be early ones.

Hmmmm . . . this is the only actual case of "the missing inner bearing" I recall?

Didn't someone say/admit he just mixed up numbers and sizes and so on? Typical forum nonsense so to say? How come you've got the guts to talk about "missing bearings" and "evidence"? So far this site wasn't totaly twitter yet, but it seems we're coming close to it now.

Didn't someone say/admit he just mixed up numbers and sizes and so on? Typical forum nonsense so to say? How come you've got the guts to talk about "missing bearings" and "evidence"? So far this site wasn't totaly twitter yet, but it seems we're coming close to it now.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=92889.msg1466287#msg1466287

someone over at wildguzzi commented on missing bearings, so I do believe it happens,

Hard to think why it would until it happens to you. I only discovered it because it is an old bike in need of a fix.

hear are the pics I posted at wildguzzi.

All cleaned out, redline heavy is a pain but a good diesel flush and it disappeared.

Everything checks out except for the bearings as mentioned above.

I`ll post more as the re-assembly commences, when the prts arrive

008.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Ok, then how would it work? We have the rear wheel sitting on two bearings, we have the crown wheel sitting with one side on a bearing, the other side being centered on the driving cog, and we have the housing sitting with one side on the rusty needle cage, the other side being held by the shaft seal. I can imagine that this might work quite well even. Maybe better so as with the big needle bearing installed. Would it be software, I'd say it's a feature, not a bug.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=92889.msg1466287#msg1466287

someone over at wildguzzi commented on missing bearings, so I do believe it happens,

Hard to think why it would until it happens to you. I only discovered it because it is an old bike in need of a fix.

Shiloh, are you the one who originally posted on the Kawasaki forum? With all the cross-posting I'm trying to figure out how many missing bearings there really are.

Yes, I originally posted on ktc and here, Jim from the ktc forum posted my comments on the wildguzzi forum.

It was there that others posted they have heard of such things.

I originally posted to try and get some insight on the issue at hand.

I kind of get the feeling some think this is bogus, but its not, Ive never owned a shaft drive bike and probably never will again, too much trouble for little gain.

The fact that the very first time ive ever opened up a rear drive and found a piece missing baffled me and wondered how it could have remain together.

Ive concluded that much of the stress was share amonst all the other bearings, thats why they're knackered and getting replaced.

I believe if I had let this go any longer id be replacing or scrapping the bike.

How is the shaft drive too much hassle? You seem to have an exception and once you have that resolved you shouldn't have any problems for a long time. Much longer than a chain and sprocket could ever last. And no adjustments. Once in a while grease the U-joints. That's it.

Ok, then how would it work? We have the rear wheel sitting on two bearings, we have the crown wheel sitting with one side on a bearing, the other side being centered on the driving cog, and we have the housing sitting with one side on the rusty needle cage, the other side being held by the shaft seal. I can imagine that this might work quite well even. Maybe better so as with the big needle bearing installed. Would it be software, I'd say it's a feature, not a bug.

So, I'm having trouble understanding what the three transverse bearings are doing. :blush:

The right side (deeper one/ the one found missing in this case) is pressed into the rear drive housing and its inner sits on the axle? (Neither of those things actually spin . . . :huh2: )

And the other bearings (on the wheel side)? They are pressed onto/into the crown wheel (ring gear)? The larger (outer) allows the crown to spin in the housing cover and the smaller (inner) allows the gear to spin on the axle?