Break-in

Guest 2001f4s

Guest 2001f4s

I did a search for information on new bike break-in, but came up empty handed.

And I know this must be a topic on every MC forum.

I just took delivery of my '02 Scura. I was going to break the bike in by riding it normally. In other workds not following the manual's suggeston of limiting RPM.

All my other bikes I have been careful with the revs during break-in. Any thoughts on suggested break-in procedure, or reasons to follow the manual.

Hrmm, yeah that's never been asked before :P

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...pic=42&hl=break

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=2515&hl=break

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=3075&hl=break

....it just depends on who you ask. "Racers" often say that there's no substitute for a dyno/track break-in, conservative owners swear by the factory recommendations, and many say "just go out and ride it like you plan to use it".... and then there's the "heat cycle" folks versus the "RPM" folks :huh2:

Me? ...I went by the factory recommendations, but have no real religion on the topic ^_^

I think as long as you don't "flog" it right away, generally you'll be fine. Keep in mind that they run the engines up for a few miles at the factory before you even get the bike.... for whatever that's worth :bike:

al

Ciao!

I broke my Scura in according to the manufactorer. In other words: I didn't rev it over 4000rpm the first 1000 km, thereafter only up to 5000 rpm for the next couple of thousand km and now, with 5500 km on the meter, I give it the good news whenever I can.

Maybe I'm a chicken, but when the bike is still under warranty, I don't have an urge to mess with it.

Good luck!

Søren

i've also noticed that the newer V11's seem much more "sorted" from the getgo than my 2001 model.

My bike wouldn't hold an idle for the first 1000 miles or so and basically ran like crap until it mysteriously stop vibrating like crazy, smoothed out and became pretty civilised around the 100 mile mark. Needless to say i didnae cane the motor during this period, the engine just felt too tight

Any thoughts on (...) reasons to follow the manual.

Sure;

The manual was written by people who built this bike and therefore they know the best.

Guest GIGreene

A comment on break-ins in general...

At one of the local dealerships, one of the techs commented to me that the MSF loaner bikes seemed to have very few break-in related problems. Lots of starting and stopping (heating & cooling cycles) as well as lots of variation in RPM seems to be the key.

Geoffrey Greene

Knoxville, Tennessee USA

I won't use the word 'carefull' breakin, but 'proper'. Moto Guzzi designed the engine, do what it says in the book. If you follow the instructions in the manual, the only thing you may unknowing ly do, would be to lug the engine, which may be actually worse for the engine than premature over revving.

I would say that the main effect a proper breakin would have on an engine would be to allow it to offer a longer service life, without wear related preblems.

Ciao, Steve G.

to lug the engine, which may be actually worse for the engine than premature over revving

This is a bad thing to do to any engine whether broken in or not! It is technically a function of manifold pressure versus RPM but what it means is DO NOT use full throttle at low revs, ie. 4000 or below. It puts massive strain on engine components for no realistic performance gain.

Aircraft piston engines are broken in by making a max power (ie full throttle) climb to about 12,000 feet then slowly backing the throttle off and perhaps repeated one more time so there is about 30 minutes total. Then the engine is deemed 'broken in'! This ensures the rings are seated properly and the maximum power will be produced.

Aircraft piston engines are broken in by making a max power (ie full throttle) climb to about 12,000 feet then slowly backing the throttle off and perhaps repeated one more time so there is about 30 minutes total. Then the engine is deemed 'broken in'! This ensures the rings are seated properly and the maximum power will be produced.

Sounds like that gets the rings sorted, but what about the rest of the 1,235,986 parts?

......would that be synthetic or? :doh::doh:

That's what I've been wondering. Maybe someone here knows?