Break-in

Guest 2001f4s

Guest JohnInNH

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This link has all the info you are looking for. Read it all and be grateful it's there for you to read. It has excellent data, along with pictures etc.

Every person I talk to who know his poop who has read it agrees. Many who have not read it recommend a similar process with favorable results.. Follow it and you will not regret it. Your pistons, rings, and cylinder bores will thank you. :D

It's not that the old easy does it way will not cause early failure, but it does more harm than good. The link will show you why.

Just don't lug it!

Since soooooo many people don't know how to drive, and know nothing about motors, recommending an "easy does it" break in period helps to ensure the rings seat some what before they lug the crap out of the motor. :rolleyes:

I just checked out this website and it is very informative. The break in procedure is very similar to the aircraft piston engine procedure. Another very similar point is aircraft engines use mineral oil for break in then it is changed after about 5 to 10 hours run in time. Then after the first 100 hours of running any type of approved oil may be used. the MotoTuneUSA website reccommends similar for bike engines.

I know what I'll be doing with my MGS when I get it!!!

but what about the rest of the 1,235,986 parts?

With that many parts flying in formation together you are referring to a helicopter of course!

but what about the rest of the 1,235,986 parts?

With that many parts flying in formation together you are referring to a helicopter of course!

Yes, I was actually!

Wondering if the 'break-in' is regarded as just the time that the rings/bore take to settle in, with no further procedure to bother about (apart from oil stuff). Of course I dare say that aircraft parts are machined with a different degree of precision than Guzzi parts.

..."lugging" the engine is running the engine at too low an RPM whilst trying to actually move, which is REAL OBVIOUS when you are doing it ^_^ ...there will be no power, lots of vibration, and it may even knock.

I don't know if there is an "official lugging RPM threshold" for the MG engine :rolleyes: .... but depending on which gear you are in, generally anything below about 2-3k, and actually trying to move... is lugging the engine ;)

It is not a "good thing"....

al