Thinking about a 2002 Lemans

thebronze

Whats up guys, i'm considering a 2002 Le Mans w 22k miles in Dallas. The seller is a member here and its currently for sale in the classifieds section. Looks very tidy and well cared for. I was hoping you could share some insight into what to look for and some long term owner info. I asked about the shifter spring and it hasnt been replaced to his knowledge. Are there any other hidden grenades or issues? Ive been on ducati's for a couple years but they were never very comfortable and I wouldnt think about touring on one. I'm familiar with italian electrics and love working on bikes, but I have no urge to split the cases on a modern bike.

Here's a link to the sale

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2988994899.html

I've owned,

2001 Ducati monster 600

1997 Ducati monster 900

1980 Guzzi v50

1979 Triumph t140d

Various Benelli singles

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh-oh: Craigslist posting "flagged for removal." :huh2:

Otherwise, it's mainly the black crinkle paint on the driveline becoming too crinkley on the '02 (and likely some early '03).

What doc said. The only real flaw from the factory was the lousy engine paint. The engine paint on my 02 was crap when I bought it but the rest of the driveline paint has been fine. I didn't find repainting the engine to be too difficult. Since you love working on bikes you would get along well with the LeMans. They're pretty simple to work on and nearly anything that can go wrong has been discussed and solved here in the past.

Another possible weak spot along with the shifter pawl spring is the relays under the seat. Many here replace them with a set from dpguzzi.com and never worry about them again.

If it has 22k the shift spring is probably non issue.. I have 22k too and never did the spring but I carry one under the seat w/a tire patch kit. knock on wood.

Al Roethlisberger wrote this up on whut to look for in a V11 (most of these issues were sorted by the 2003 year model):

2002 was a bit of a double-whammy for the LeMans. It was Aprilia's first year of MG ownership, they stirred things up a bit such as consolidated/relocated much of the parts inventory that year, and was the first year for the LeMans and "long frame" bikes. With that in mind, although the V11 Sport had been in production for a couple years at that point, the new LeMans(and other V11 models of that year) had a few "bugs".

1) "fuzzy engine paint" - As you've no doubt noticed, the black engine paint introduced in ~02 tends to bubble and flake off of the drivetrain, especially in areas of higher heat. There was a "recall" some years back where MG would either provide new engine cases with ostensibly improved paint(which required a rebuild) or exchange for swag such as riding suits, etc. I suspect that this program is no longer available, or that a previous owner may have opted for the swag(and I'm relatively certain there aren't any other new cases). But most owners just chose to live with it as it isn't service affecting. Some folks also have chosen to strip off the black paint, and repaint with a different engine black or silver. Bottom line, this is a cosmetic issue.

2) Relays - As mentioned the stock relays have had issues for many, but there are several aftermarket varieties available that are much more reliable. It is often just a good idea to change out the whole batch of stock relays to avoid problems down the road.

3) Longer frame - This isn't a problem per se, although some folks were disappointed with the "slower handling" of the 02+ bikes. For some this isn't an issue, and some have said that tire choice can ameliorate the change. The same is true of the wider rear tire on the 02+ bikes. The 02 bikes carried over all the 00-01 body panels and in the case of the fuel tank was a little different "fit". It really is a cosmetic issue with the tank looking a bit "short", which was fixed with a new tank in 03.

4) Tank suck & Vapor Lock - These two related, although not necessarily dependent issues were a product of all pre 03 models and the external(of tank) fuel system, after which the fuel pump system was moved into the interior of the fuel tank. Not everyone has experienced the VL problem for a variety of reasons(which includes where the factory placed your fuel pump), but it does seem more susceptible to those in hot and higher altitude climates. For more detailed info on this issue, check out the FAQ at www.v11lemans.com. Although the vapor lock issue isn't consistent for all owners, the tank suck issue seems more prevalent and can cause tank deformation.

5) Transmission - There was a transmission recall for some 00-01 V11s, but I don't think any of the 02 LeMans fell within that recall. However some 02 and 03 bikes did receive a defective transmission side plate where the shift spring boss was 1mm too large, 16 instead of 15mm if I recall. In these examples the shift return spring would bind and eventually break, leaving the transmission stuck in the gear it was in. This is an easy fix. Early repairs were to install a heavier spring, but we soon found the mis-sized boss to be the real problem. The fix is to either get a new side cover or just grind down the boss.

Thank you folks. Lets continue, how many miles could I expect from this bike before worrying about the motor? The seller is asking $4900 which is a lot for me, but if it will runk 100k its worth the price. Do you think thats a fair asking price? Its right on the KBB value. Are there service records to ask for?(Splines?)

I'm also looking at a bmw r65. I like Italian bikes better but the bmw seems to have reliability and longevity in spades.

Thank you folks. Lets continue, how many miles could I expect from this bike before worrying about the motor? The seller is asking $4900 which is a lot for me, but if it will runk 100k its worth the price. Do you think thats a fair asking price? Its right on the KBB value. Are there service records to ask for?(Splines?)

I'm also looking at a bmw r65. I like Italian bikes better but the bmw seems to have reliability and longevity in spades.

i've owned my '02 le Mans for couple years, & it has been(knock wood)every bit as reliable as my airhead BMW, & IMHO Much more fun to ride.

if you opt for the R65, ask the seller how often the trans spline lube has been done, a weak spot on airheads.

happy hunting, stef

There were other issues with the 2002 bikes, additional to Al's list. Someone else asked about this a while ago, so there is another thread not too far away about the 2002 models and what to look out for. The thing is though, the problems that came from the factory should have been sorted out over the past 10 years by previous owner(s).

For the mileage question...I've got 56K on my '04 and engine/driveline wise it is doing great. It has had an electrical glitch (the ECU early on) and two speedometers have died (finally replaced by a non Motor Guzzi unit). I don't add any oil between changes and get 40-42 mpg. Go for the Guzzi....way more chrisma :oldgit:

I went and looked at it. Its really a handsome bike but didnt sound like I thought it would. There seemed to be a lot of clatter. Enought to have me a little worried. My first thought was it had a dry clutch and vented cover. It sounded a lot like my ducati dry clutch with the cover off. The owner told me he was doing something different with the valve clearance and it ran better that way. I guess thats what I was hearing. I was expecting a little more bass but that might be my fault since ive been on ducatis for a couple years and cammy bikes sound different. It did feel very comfortable and seemed like it would make a nice touring bike. I'm going back for a test ride.

I went and looked at it. Its really a handsome bike but didnt sound like I thought it would. There seemed to be a lot of clatter. Enought to have me a little worried. My first thought was it had a dry clutch and vented cover. It sounded a lot like my ducati dry clutch with the cover off. The owner told me he was doing something different with the valve clearance and it ran better that way. I guess thats what I was hearing. I was expecting a little more bass but that might be my fault since ive been on ducatis for a couple years and cammy bikes sound different. It did feel very comfortable and seemed like it would make a nice touring bike. I'm going back for a test ride.

The clatter is probably just the normal Guzzi clatter. Nothing to worry about. They are noisy in the flywheel,transmission area. The noise changes as the clutch lever is pulled in/let out.

Top end will be a little noisy. When he said he did something with the valves, he may have meant that the gap has been set slightly wider, to the 'world' spec, rather the tighter North American spec. That should be a good thing. The bass sound depends on what exhaust and silencer system you run. You'll need to put on an aftermarket can to get bigger bass thumps. The good sounds will come when the bike is running on the road, under acceleration and on over-run – and when the clatter is not pronounced.

Yep, he mentioned the Raceco spec so thats probably what it was.

Yes: that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 1981 R65 in 1981, put 23K miles on it before trading up to an R80RT in 1986. The R65 was a nice bike, trouble free except could never get the carbs quite right.

I bought a leftover new 2002 Lemans in 2006. It now has 25,400 miles on it. The shifter spring broke at 5K and at 24K.

Comparing riding the 2002 Lemans and the 1981 R65: there is no comparison. Yes, the engine paint is crappy, but that's cosmetic and not really too important.

The R65 will please you. The Lemans will thrill you. Every time you ride the Guzzi you will have a big smile on your face.