Fuel Pump Relocation

Karl Von

311530_494392660590033_458132047_n.jpgHi Everyone

My brother has a 01 Lemans with the fuel pump under the tank. While at the national rally, we ran into a guy with a lemans with the fuel pump located above the oil cooler. This seems to fix all the vapor lock problems. He said the last lemans models, with an external fuel pump, had them located out front. The oil cooler was lowered with the fuel pump on top, like a centauro. Has anyone tried to retro fit this ? I have looked through all the parts manuals but cannot find any reference to this change. I imagine you would need the oil cooler brackets, diffrent oil lines, longer fuel lines and an extinction on the pump electrical wires. Does anyone know where I can find the part numbers for the oil cooler brackets?

That's pretty much the same set up I have on my 02 MY Le Mans. I didn't do it though, so can't help with what parts you need. I do have non standard oil lines, but not for that reason (had one split and have local tame hose guy).

Trev

My brother has a 01 Lemans with the fuel pump under the tank. While at the national rally, we ran into a guy with a lemans with the fuel pump located above the oil cooler. This seems to fix all the vapor lock problems. ... Does anyone know where I can find the part numbers for the oil cooler brackets?

See if you can find a parts fiche specific to the LM Tenni models; that pump location was standard on the Tennis.

My LeMans was fitted like that. I have the pump, the fuel lines and some brackets still lying around if you're interested.

Send me a PM.

Jaap,

You, your website and all the members are a great complement to owning a V11 .

My brother has a 01 Lemans with the fuel pump under the tank. While at the national rally, we ran into a guy with a lemans with the fuel pump located above the oil cooler. This seems to fix all the vapor lock problems. He said the last lemans models, with an external fuel pump, had them located out front. The oil cooler was lowered with the fuel pump on top, like a centauro. Has anyone tried to retro fit this ? I have looked through all the parts manuals but cannot find any reference to this change. I imagine you would need the oil cooler brackets, diffrent oil lines, longer fuel lines and an extinction on the pump electrical wires. Does anyone know where I can find the part numbers for the oil cooler brackets?

I re-located the fuel pump on my 2000 V11 from between the cylinders to the stock location of the fuel filter (ie on top of the spine / under the tank) as part of the solution to frequent vapour lock. Fuel flter now resides behind the Magni fairing (posted some research on this, quite a while back). Never had a problem since.

I would think re-location to your proposed location above the oil-cooler would also be of similar benefit.

Having said that, I'm not sure that having the fuel pump under the tank as in your case, would be as much of a problem as having it located between the cylinders as I believe it was in mine...? Where is the fuel filter located? The other consideration is proximity of fuel lines to the cylinders - heat shield may be of benefit there.

Gio