ECU

BrianG

I apologize if this has been covered to death, but I can't find anything on the search engine.

My service manual says that there is a software package to execute the diagnostics on my 2000 Sport's ECU. Is this accessible? Is the hardware cable acccessible? Is the diagnostic useful?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the question is.....  is it a valuable item, from an owner's perspective? It seems to be about the same price as a PC III.

Brian,

It's a totally seperate deal. It will not allow access to the fuel or timing map, etc, etc... it is simply a "diagnostic tool" to diagnose if there are any "issues" with your bike. i.e. It will "test" seperate components, and reset fault codes. It will allow for a "idle trim" adjustment, and is handy for setting checking your TPS in degrees -vs- voltage. Your call if you have the money to spend it on it, but it will not do what a PCIIIusb can for you.

ToddGuzziTech.com

Here is a scene from last years UKV11 meet at Dodford.

Palm_Pilot_Diagnostic.jpg

The Palm pilot confirms that it is more comfortable to ride with the seat on.

It was a new toy at that time perhaps its functionality has been fully discovered now, and you will get the feedback you seek.

Here is a scene from last years UKV11 meet at Dodford.

Palm_Pilot_Diagnostic.jpg

The Palm pilot confirms that it is more comfortable to ride with the seat on.

It was a new toy at that time perhaps its functionality has been fully discovered now, and you will get the feedback you seek.

39392[/snapback]

:D Is that real sunshine? :D Tom

:bike: I have a Snap-On Micro-Scan OBDII [on board diagnostics] reader for automobiles, does anyone know of an adaptor that could plug into the Marelli ECU? I'm sure it could read all the available data if those plugs would just match up! :cheese: Tom

39387[/snapback]

Isn't the Marelli unit also used in some model Fiat or Alfa? Maybe you can get your Snap-On guy to let you try several different connectors for various Italian cars to see if any fit/give you likely-looking results...

Of course, I thought the big diff. between OBD 1 & OBD II was that OBD II standardized the connector specs and fault coding? I dunno; I'm not a mechanic...

:luigi:

Hi Brian,

what John mentions is the My15M from Cliff Jefferies. I have bought it in kit form and had it on the road for about 5000 km. No problems so far!

With this system (it's more than just an ECU) you really have access to all the relevant parameters, be it spark advance, fuel map or things like closed loop or auto-tune. The newest version also supports wideband sensors with 0 to 5V output.

Check it out, I found it to be more than interesting. If you are missing the times when you did understand your bike completely or at least thought so, then this project can be a good link to them.

Hubert

Thanks John & Hubert!

Is there some advantage in this MY 15M unit over the PClll piggy-back? I'm not convinced that a closed-loop ECU is going to add a whole lot to practical considerations, in terms of motorcycle driving and performance. It is my understanding that a lambda sensor circuit does it's work at pretty much steady-state power settings. As such, a motorcycle is generally not found in this contex.

My Porsche's Bosch EFI goes full rich at anything over 70% tps deflection. I can monitor the A/F ratio with my LM-1 wideband meter, and it shows the EFI at default-rich under all but the most benign driving conditions.

Is this a misinterpretation of the value of the MY 15M in the motorcycle context?

Closed loop is optional. It works quite happily in open loop mode.

Good gas sensors have response times measured in 1/10ths of seconds. My implementation is more sedate being adjustments of about 1% a few times a second. You still need to have a reasonable map in the background. The closed loop is more a trimming.

The latest software allows 8 different A/F ratios to be specified and each point of the map can be set to one of these. You need a wideband sensor for this. So you can have leaner cruise sections of the map and richer sections for high throttle settings. Sections can be open loop if you want.

My15M is approximately Standard ECU + PCIII + spark timing + diagnostic tool + closed loop.

My15M is approximately Standard ECU + PCIII  + spark timing + diagnostic tool + closed loop.

39771[/snapback]

BrianG,

If you check the price of My15M versus the right part of that "equation", you will be very happily surprised ;)

Closed-loop is nice to have and useful, especially because you can decide where in the map you want to have it and where not.

Ignition adjustments will be also useful if you are ever going to make any mechanical mods to your engine. My15M will give you also this possibility without any extra cost.

I like to have everything adjustable !

br, JuhaV

Sport 1100i/My16M