ECU

BrianG

My PCIII works great and my custom map was $180.00.

40354[/snapback]

Motomonster, Where did you get your map done? I have been calling around the Seattle area but none of the TL centers seem interested in doing a Guzzi. Two of them have said that they would have to buy an adapter for the exhaust sniffer and don't want to since it would not get much use after my bike. I can only wonder how much a simple exhaust adapter could cost???

Randy

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest wmcdonal

1. Triumph only started to use closed loop in the last couple of years and like most closed loop systems it is only used when the target air fuel ratio is at 14.5/1. This is only at low throttle cruise.

2. If a download with TuneBoy fails (flat battery. Trip over cable. Turn key off etc) then all that is required to restart the download is to wait for the LED on the cable to stop blinking and click the download button again.

People seem to have trouble reading documentation. It is much easier to just yell for help.

I don't know of one customer who has a dead ECU from TuneBoy, not one!

3. Guzzi standard maps are not perfect. Detonation problems exist because of over lean fuel and too much ignition advance.

4. The percentage trims TuneBoy makes are made to the actual fuel map, the ECU still allows for injector dead time as it always did.

5. DynoJet cannot lock down the tuning link interface without locking out all the existing PCIII's on the market.

Anyone in Sydney with a Guzzi that would like to be a test case, I will do the tuning for free and I am sure I can get the dyno time cheap.

:blink:

regarding Wayne's post:

2. Any idea what happened with the one guy on the Aprillia Forum who allegedly wiped his stock map?

4. Is it because the percentage trims are made to the actual fuel map, that it does not have the same change in altitude miscorrection that the PCIII does?

5. My fear is, even if they cannot lockdown the tuning link, they can brainwash fear into the hearts and minds of the dyno operator/owners, who will then refuse to TL my ECU with TuneBoy.

Motomonster,  Where did you get your map done?  I have been calling around the Seattle area but none of the TL centers seem interested in doing a Guzzi.  Two of them have said that they would have to buy an adapter for the exhaust sniffer and don't want to since it would not get much use after my bike.  I can only wonder how much a simple exhaust adapter could cost???

Randy

40383[/snapback]

George Dean. He mostly does Japanese racing bikes, but he'll slum it and do a Guzzi. :)

http://www.soundrider.com/Dealers/SCS/

I know of a guy who runs a Cali with bumped compression, big cam and Mike Rich'd heads.

And why not. If he's running a P8 computer, he isn't going to have a problem (if it's the bike I'm thinking of, it's a 97 with the P8). The P8's on the California's in general, behave absolutely normal. No hiccups. This is Apples and Oranges. Sorry. Even the late model California types could conceivably be running the EFI program from the P8 and the sport types the program from the WM16, even though the new ones use ECU's that are physically identical. I doubt we'll ever know, except that the new ones have different part numbers according to the intended model. And that would have to be the map and/or program.

Guest wmcdonal
regarding Wayne's post:

2. Any idea what happened with the one guy on the Aprillia Forum who allegedly wiped his stock map?

4. Is it because the percentage trims are made to the actual fuel map, that it does not have the same change in altitude miscorrection that the PCIII does?

5. My fear is, even if they cannot lockdown the tuning link, they can brainwash fear into the hearts and minds of the dyno operator/owners, who will then refuse to TL my ECU with TuneBoy.

40398[/snapback]

5. I know what you mean. Dynojet even have people thinking they must use the DynoJet Palm Pilot cable to connect to the PCIII or it will damage the PCIII (What a pile of manure)

I have heard of DynoJet telling dyno operators that using the Tuning Link with TuneBoy could damage the dyno.

The whole idea of the RS232 serial port is to allow different systems to talk to each other, that is why they develope standards.

4. I think that is what I said in my last post.

2. He probably read the instructions and didn't feel the need to post anything to say he was up and running again.

Guest Jeff in Ohio
And why not. If he's running a P8 computer, he isn't going to have a problem (if it's the bike I'm thinking of, it's a 97 with the P8). The P8's on the California's in general, behave absolutely normal. No hiccups. This is Apples and Oranges. Sorry. Even the late model California types could conceivably be running the EFI program from the P8 and the sport types the program from the WM16, even though the new ones use ECU's that are physically identical. I doubt we'll ever know, except that the new ones have different part numbers according to the intended model. And that would have to be the map and/or program.

40401[/snapback]

ummmm, NO. it's not the bike you are thinking about. This person USED to have a P8 machine, but he had a techlusion box on it. He sold the bike, rode some other brand for a year, then bought a 2002 EV and promptly pulled it apart to build the motor..........

Guest Jeff in Ohio
I disagree. Take a look at: How Cliff built his ECU and you can get a much better idea as to what it takes to develope and deploy an EFI management unit. Fascinating reading, regardless of whether you're going to purchase one of Cliff's units or not. Keep in mind too, that the WM16 it was originally built to replace, has a very dark history with Guzzi's. The WM15 has fared much better (thankfully).

The My15M is an evolution on the My16M. The My16M wouldn't exist except for the positively evil behavior and high replacement cost of the WM ECU. Cliff's ECU does not share any code of WM's nor is his code open for users to access. What is open is that all of the parts are commercially available and the circuit diagram is (more or less) available on his web site (I say more or less, because Cliff has covered each section independently and does not have the entire schematic posted - although he might have and I missed it somehow). You can repair Cliff's ECU, you can't get schematics for WM ECU's and you wouldn't want to tear open a PCIII.

ALL of the various approaches for modifying the ignition on the V11 Sports offer some advantages and some disadvantages.

40375[/snapback]

yeah yeah eyah, whatever. BASICALLY his version of a marelli unit that anybody can @#$$#! around with. He did probe a Marelli unit to see how it worked as a basis for making his own.

do YOU have your My16M up and running yet? if memory serves me correct, you've had it for almost a year now???

2. He probably read the instructions and didn't feel the need to post anything to say he was up and running again.

40413[/snapback]

You are probably right, otherwise I would be pretty sure you would hear him threatening to sue, or atleast get his money back.

Thanks for posting here.

I was nearly ready to upgrade from a PCIII to a PCIIIUSB and possibly get the diagnostic software from Ferracci. Your posts have put that plan on hold.

Regarding the TL operators:

Atleast in my situation I can do the tuning link with the PCIII and move the map to the tuneboy, if the dyno operator is SCARED of tuneboy.

do YOU have your My16M up and running yet? if memory serves me correct, you've had it for almost a year now???

I've had it running both stock and with the My16M. The bike runs equally bad on either unit indicating a fundamental problem with the bike itself. When my forks get back from rebuild this week, I hope to start yet again to resove the problem. It's driving me nuts...

When I get the V11 Sport running again ('ril soon now, I keep telling myself), I'll make the internal jumper change on the My15M and try that too. I don't expect to see too much difference, but I do want to see it run. At least on the V11 Sport, swapping the computers isn't such an onerous task.

Guest wmcdonal

The dyno operators here in Sydney are like the US operators.

I had one dyno operator trying to sell a PCIII to a guy with a Motec M4 Pro after market ECU, just because he didn't want to try something new. that is plain stupid.

And this was a dyno operator without the Tuning Link so the Motec system would be easier to tune than the PCIII.

In the car world the dyno operators are decades ahead. They will use whatever you have at hand, at least here they do.

The fact that DynoJet charge a yearly fee for the Tuning Link is a sore point with dyno operators. Perhaps I should write a TuneBoy link that talks to the ECU and controls the dyno like the Tuning Link.

The fact that DynoJet charge a yearly fee for the Tuning Link is a sore point with dyno operators. Perhaps I should write a TuneBoy link that talks to the ECU and controls the dyno like the Tuning Link.

So then you'd offer it for free then, correct?

Seriously, I'd like to chat offline.

Please mail me direct, or PM me if need be.

ToddGuzziTech.com

p.s. Folks should keep in mind the "volume" of the car market when claims like above are made.

Alright here is my american two cents...

PCIII - easy for the novice, best solution for the casual user. (Pipe, filter etc.) Simple to tune, or have tuned: tuning link center, price is resonable. No add ons. Well timing maybe.

Tuneboy - Nice, reprograms the stock unit. Great with the 1.5, which is a good unit. Seems a bit over kill for the "average" user. Good for those with excessive mods (pipes, filter, cams, heads, plugs, -eg Al: even though the the PCIII will still work, I would want the adjustabilty of the the timing control)or a technophile habit. Could be overkill for the home user, resulting in a "oh shit, I killed my bike." Need a laptop to really utilize effectily. (But if you are considering this option, you should already have laptop and some solid computer knowledge.)

Cliffs My15m. The top. Similar to the the Electromotive units of the auto world. Need high degree of intelligence, particularly if you build it yourself. But it allows you complete control over your fuel and timing map + working knowlegde of its internals, 1.5 need not apply.A big plus for us idiots that cannot just leave well enough alone. (Wish I had Cliff's know how..... drool drool....)Not a problem if you really know your shit. Could be a major headache if you want to look cool but are really an idiot. (My personnel favorite, but I have also have used Electromotive units in the past and feel comfortable developing a map from scratch - an inertial dyno really helps though $$$. Although I'm sure Cliff could get a map very close so that a "seasoned" rider could get a real close tune from the seat.

Ultimatly it comes down to what you need and want. Simple rider with minor mods, go PCIII with, major mods go Tuneboy, (the name has to change though. personal opinion.) Major mods or your are to smart for your own good, My15M.

I have to agree with "emry" ,I just hope I am smart enough for the MY15 M that I purchased. I am smart enough not to try it with the 6 cm of fresh snow we have (what are you riding Brian Robson?).

I also would not hesitate to try a dyno tune with the PCIII if there was a qualified dealer in the area!