Help please

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

I just had the outer needle bearing replaced 1 week ago together with the main seal. All the bearings were fine and the wheel bearings are new.

Riding today (thankfully at only 30km/hour with no one behind me), the bike felt that the rear brake locked, it released then locked again. Pushed to the side of the road, rear brake released,wheel wouldn't turn.

Took off the axle nut and bingo, the axle won't come out and banging on the end only causes the swing arm on the right to flare out.

I think that the axle may have snapped OR a bevel box bearing has welded itself to the axle.

I can't get the axle out to remove the bevel box.

Any bright light out there think of a way to get the axle out. I will post pictures as soon as the bike gets home.

P.S. the inner ring for the needle bearing appears to be attached to the axle.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's the same issue, but I had difficulty removing my axle when I recently renewed my rear tyre. Similar symptom, tapping on the nut end of the axle tended to push the swing arm on the right outwards.

I managed to free mine up by using a hex drive on the other end of the axle and winding it back and forth as I tapped. I had just assumed it was a lack of grease, but looking back (I have a degree in hindsight!) it might have been something more sinister. :huh2:

Best of luck in your endeavours to solve this one, Brian. Please post your results once you find out what has happened.

Guest Brian Robson

I think I know what happened.

The inner smooth bearing "face" has slipped through the washer and "welded" itself to the swinging arm, hence stopping the axle from coming through. I can actually see where it has melted onto the inner face of the right swinging arm.

So far, hitting the nut end of the axle only spreads the swinging arm, whilst using a 14mm socket head with an air impact driver can't even turn the axle in any direction.

I emptied the bevelbox and the contents were clean with no fragments on the drain plug.

post-368-1113880230_thumb.jpg

post-368-1113880263_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

Your pictures seem to indicate the axle color is blue. Either the contrast is off, or heat has caused this.

You say the bearing has welded itself to the swingarm. Don't you mean the axle? I would assume that heat will be needed to loosen this thing off. Will this wreck seals?

What caused this Brian? Did it have anything to do with the previous work you had done?

Wish I could help buddy. I don't have a torch.

Ciao, Steve G.

Wish I could help buddy. I don't have a torch.

Ciao, Steve G.

49106[/snapback]

Its called a 'hot wrench' or something else I forget maybe torch socket or hot socket I duno friend of mines a mechanic :huh2::rolleyes:

Brian,

How about using the good old saws all :luigi: Use a bimetal blade and it should cut through like a hot knife in butter. I don't think there should be any hardness left in the race or the axle. You may need to cut both sides of the axle to remove the wheel and final drive together.

Hopefully it will work for you,

Mike

Guest Brian Robson

I do think that I know what happened, and yes, it is related to the work I had done.

I, myself had put in a new inner bearing for a week (there was play in the bevel box and I needed to ride for work) and the old needle bearing wore the surface a little. So Gord, instead of putting in a new one (with the intention of getting me going again without $70 for a new inner) had surface ground and polished the old one, this small reduction in diameter has allowed the inner bearing to push through the washer and then "weld" itself to the axle and the inner face of the right swinging arm.

I cannot fault Gord's intention, and will gladly pay the $150 for a new needle and inner bearing, but I will ask them to look at the labour and be somewhat flexible.

It was their intent to help me out and get me on the road, and if they can get the axle out that will make me happy

Guest Brian Robson
Brian,

How about using the good old saws all :luigi:  Use a bimetal blade and it should cut through like a hot knife in butter.  I don't think there should be any hardness left in the race or the axle.  You may need to cut both sides of the axle to remove the wheel and final drive together. 

49109[/snapback]

Thats the hardest butter I've ever tried to cut through. It barely made an indentation in the bearing face, so I'm leaving it and trailering it to Chilliwack tomorrow. Such is life

Guest PAULSMART

A suggestion to stop swing arm flexing when your'e giving it a thump is to use a length of timber between the swing arm and garage wall !!

and then WHACK!!!!!

Paul

I also had the right swingarm side flexing out, hitting the swingarm while it was sticking out made it come back and loosen the axcle from the swingarm. But I suppose your problem is different. maybe a torch wicth some heat wil do wonders.

Hi Brian,could you tie both "arms" of the swingarm together with a ratchet strap looped around them to keep them square then belt the f*** out of the spindle with a sledgehammer to shock it free? I realise that if the bearing has welded itself to the spindle it wont move easily, but even a little movement could be introduced that would allow the axle to be worked back and forth to maybe get it moving. Incedentally, I'm not talking about mushrooming the end, just a few right clatters to give it a fright :2c:

Sorry to hear this Brian. I do hope it all works out, and if I were closer, I'd lend you one of my bikes.

Definitely brace the swingarm. I wouldn't strap the sides together because 1) it will be difficult with a tire in the way, and 2) the swingarm axle will still take a pounding. Brace the side against a wall if you have to.

Can you remove the entire swingarm? I think that's going to be your best bet in the end. Sounds like a F'd up deal all around, but I am glad you didn't crash when it happened.

J

Guest Brian Robson
Incedentally, I'm not talking about mushrooming the end, just a few right clatters to give it a fright :2c:

49154[/snapback]

Already belted the f#*k out of it, and the bolt is mashed to protect the axle. I'm taking it into Chilliwack today. Thank you for your concern about my safety, and I'm somewhat blessed as 10 minutes prior I was flying down Highway #1 at "speeds well above 100Km/hr" and I dread to think what may have happened then!

Guest Brian Robson

Gord used an air cutter to cut through the axle.

This revealed that the hex head part of the axle was still locked/welded into the swinging arm.

This was drilled and then ground out by a tool I can only describe as a large dental grinder.

The axle was then hammered out to reveal that the ball bearing that resides inside the bevel box (visible from the inside) had disintegrated, locked up on the axle, the axle shaft was twisted and this in turn had revolved the hex head of the axle in the swinging arm.

The repair will involve a new axle, axle nut, wheel bearings, inner bearing, needle bearing and bushing.....at least the bevel box inners appear undamaged.