MG Ti & Quat-D comparison

belfastguzzi

The question has raised before of weight comparison between the Ti Kit and Quat-D. I don't remember the info being posted and after a search I can't see any, so – here's what I have found.

Complete system: MG OE cf sleeved cans + MG OE x-over + standard headers = 13.6Kg / 30 lb

Complete system: MG Ti cans + Stucchi xover + standard headers = 9.6Kg / 21 lb

Complete system: Quat-D race box + Quat headers = 8kg / 17.6 lb

In the search I notice that OldbutnotDead had trouble getting the Quat box to sit where it should and he had to add a stack of washers, lowering the box, to get it mounted. V50Man also noted this "design flaw". As ObnD says, it's because the V.11 mounting bracket hits against the QD box and he says maybe there was some design change. It seems to me that the problem comes because Quat added a thick fibre mat under the riveted plate on the right side of the box. This is the plate under which the road baffle would be, I guess. This raised height means that there isn't enough clearance for mounting. This is the sort of dumb mistake we would expect from :mg:

Quat must be showing solidarity with their countrymen----------------- :stupid:

I considered turning the Quat bracket upside down and also mounting it under the box bracket, which would have given the necessary clearance, but it would have made the box hang low at the rear – as OBND's washer stack has also done.

So I did what the situation required... I went and got the big hammer. A few bashes at the shiney new Quat and clearance was restored.

Sound?

I'll see about making a recording tomorrow. First very short impression is that it's very different to the open Ti Kit. The Tis sound lovely: a great rough rumble. The Quat seems to be mad raucous. It's loud! Someone posted that the Quat is quiet :huh2: I don't understand – maybe that was an older model and with road baffle installed. I wouldn't take this beast to an MOT. Maybe my ears deceived me and it will sound different tomorrow – as I said, I didn't run it long. It was getting dark as I was finishing off and by the time I got to the pipe springs, it was dark. The port/header spring stretch is shorter, so I got them on. The box/pipe fastening spring is a much longer stretch and I couldn't get it in the dark. I started the bike to see what it sounds like, thinking I would let it idle to burn off. But really, the sound was so interesting and enticing: I just had to rev it. What a sound! This is with half open airbox and MG race ECU. I had to rev it more. :unsure: With a BANG, clatter and mighty flash of flame from the front of the bike, the header pipe flew off and the header spring went into orbit. Hence the short listening test. :wacko: I'll fix it tomorrow, in daylight.

This set-up may not be as smooth as the Ti kit, but I'm hoping that it will work ok with the 'better than stock' race ECU and open airbox. I'm not getting rid of the Ti kit. That will probably be the set-up that I will use most. This is just a fit of irresponsibility...and I couldn't resist a 'bargain'. I very much like the look of the V.11 without end cans. And, if I ever want to do pillion trips, lower rear footpegs can go back on (and panniers). But could they put up with the noise? :homer:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per DLaing, you'll find the Quat-D more "streetable" in the lower revs. Nice 'n rumbly exhaust note, but actually much less moisy than my race-equipped Buell.

The Tis will simply collect dust from hereon...

Sell 'em...

v50

That Quat exhaust has started to grow on the list of things I want on my bike. I'd like to know if I have to buy the thing direct from Italy & if theres a better price than the 740 euro. That would equal about $1000 with shipping from Italy I think. If I could get one for around 750 usd out the door I may have to warm up the credit card!

Ya know, if you fellers really want a Ti exhaust, you can still get a new one. I've got a set on the shelf and think MPH does, too . . .

86193[/snapback]

I wish I could but I don't think I can spare $1200 right now. I just don't think I Can do it. :(

Sound?

I'll see about making a recording tomorrow. First very short impression is that it's very different to the open Ti Kit. The Tis sound lovely: a great rough rumble. The Quat seems to be mad raucous. It's loud! Someone posted that the Quat is quiet  :huh2: I don't understand – maybe that was an older model and with road baffle installed. I wouldn't take this beast to an MOT. Maybe my ears deceived me and it will sound different tomorrow – as I said, I didn't run it long

86187[/snapback]

I found that to the common observer, my older model Quat D was somewhere between the volume of the Mistrals with OEM crossover and the OEM Muffler with OEM crossover.

But from the rider's perspective it was actually louder due to the proximity of the rider.

If you blast through a canyon road with the muffler bouncing the sound off the canyon wall, the ampification was MAGNIFICENT!

Likewise when the bike leans over and the exhaust port faces the asphalt, you will LOVE the sound as you twist the throttle.

If it is too much sound, I would put the airbox lid back on or look into adding a restrictor.

I still regret having traded it for the Mistrals which do give me more high rpm power, but the Quat-D magnified the Guzzi's soul and marginally made it handle better.

If SlowPoke is reading this, the offer to trade back still stands :grin:

Guest roadholder
That Quat exhaust has started to grow on the list of things I want on my bike. I'd like to know if I have to buy the thing direct from Italy & if theres a better price than the 740 euro. That would equal about $1000 with shipping from Italy I think. If I could get one for around 750 usd out the door I may have to warm up the credit card!

86206[/snapback]

I am thinking to buy it too. I love the way the V11 looks without cans.

About price: 740 is a pre-tax price. We have 20% of tax to add here in Italy. Which raises the total amount to 900 Euros.

I am thinking to buy it too. I love the way the V11 looks without cans.

About price: 740 is a pre-tax price. We have 20% of tax to add here in Italy. Which raises the total amount to 900 Euros.

86214[/snapback]

Yes I'm aware of that, I think its called a value added tax or vat? Anyway I dont have to pay that tax here in the states, matter of fact internet purchases are tax free here. I guess I'll just have to save the money is all.

86206[/snapback]

If you can get it for €740 that seems pretty good. Cheaper than it used to be.

Edit: just seen the later posts. If that price is exclusive of vat it explains why it seemed lowish.

Guest Nogbad
exhaust note, but actually much less moisy than my race-equipped Buell.

v50

86192[/snapback]

Mine too. I feel very self conscious riding it and it keeps my speed down in town......

First short road impressions.

Up the hills, mostly narrow roads turn to turn, so **can't speak about top end.

This is a very rideable set-up.

Just as much as **Stucchi & Ti cans. Maybe more so. There was no need to worry about smoothness through the range (so far**).The weight distribution must make some difference too, though I also set-up suspension at the same time so this must give a small contribution to different feel (ended up fairly close to stock settings anyway).

Sound

With short pipes and single outlet, the nature of the sound is very different. More like an early aeroplane now. Which is a good thing. It doesn't have the basso profundo of the big Stucchi & long Ti cans. RDLaing is right about noise levels. At lower speeds a lot of noise effect comes from the proximity of outlet pipe to rider and road. Noise disappears at speed, more than with Ti pipes. You can still feel it at higher speeds though and the Ti 'feel' at those speeds is probably more satisfying.

If you want orchestral manouvres, it's the Stucchi & Ti cans. If you want WWl fighter pilot manouvres, it's the Quat-D.

Per the "design flaw" --

It is now my opinion that -- because the Quat-D comes with no real directions for installation -- it is often installed incorrectly. Upon a re-install of the Quat-D recently, I did this myself -- resulting in ground clearance issues.

However, once I pulled it back off -- looked at what I had done -- and set aside the crack pipe -- I was able to see that it was indeed MY error. I had installed it with the mounting prongs pointing North -- rather than South. :homer:

Aside from the extremely tight tolerances that the kit ships with (requiring a bit of sanding here and there) I cannot recommend the Quat-D highly enough. As a city dweller, a great deal of my riding is around town, and it is in this environment that the Quat-D shines.

Also, customer service after the sale was excellent.

v50

(feeling a bit punk after 400 mountain miles yesterday)

Per the "design flaw" --

It is now my opinion that -- because the Quat-D comes with no real directions for installation -- it is often installed incorrectly. ... I had installed it with the mounting prongs pointing North -- rather than South.

86239[/snapback]

Yeah, lack of instructions is a bit of a pain when, like me, you dismantle the bracket bits without noting what position they were in. It all mounts up easily when the hanger bracket is installed pointing north, either under or over the box bracket. But indeed this is the wrong way and results in a too low slung box. I did mount it pointing south (the correct way) to keep the box high. So did OBND (– from his photos). One reason that you'd expect Quat to address the 'design flaw' is that there isn't even enough clearance for their own bracket, due to the raised top plate. The end-point of their own bracket on that side, hits the box – never mind the longer Guzzi bracket that it has to bolt up to.

Anyhows – last impressions (for now).

A longer ride this afternoon confirmed first impressions. The Quat is a great drive.

Sound is much more intrusive than with the cans. The Quat is also prone to setting off more vibrations.

A couple of things relating to the nature of the sound and the higher register:

• A peculiarity – I wore an Arai helmet this afternoon and found that the Quat created a continuous high frquency ringing in the Arai. I wasn't wearing earplugs: hopefully they would lessen that effect. I didn't notice the same thing with an AGV.

• A double whammy – I think that the raucous effects noted may not all be due to the Quat box itself. I think that the (half) open airbox is exacerbating some of the Quat's hooliganism, whereas with the Ti cans I like the way that the induction sound adds something extra (different) to enrich the whole soundscape. The sound of the Quat's exhaust is more akin to the induction bark than is the sound from the MG cans. It is also coming from the same area, directly under the rider. So the sounds have more of a reinforcing effect, rather than having the complementary effect of the pipes, x-over and induction box.

? There seems to be less engine braking with the Quat system, than with the long pipes. Can anyone who knows the science of this stuff comment on whether this actually may be the case or is it an aural illusion?