Forum upgrade

As you might have noticed, things look different here. They not only look, but are different.

Most things should work.

After his holiday Jaap is going to make a new skin so you get new colors and guzzi pictures all over the place.

Some parts that were here are not available for the moment, like the links section.

If things don't work as they should let us know.

It appears my permission to reply to "banter and silly remarks" has been revoked.

Whatever I must have said , I take it all back. :unsure:

I can't either...conspiracy :huh2: perhaps it is for the better.

The banter forum should just be whitelisted for Macho Rednecked White Male Right Wingers :bier:

Not to say you are not Macho...or red necked... orr white...or male....or Right winger :P

• 1 month later...

Paul,

With the upgraded forum, my Safari browser crashes/ closes when I try to return from within the posts back to the main site by clicking the back button. I'm using a Mac Ibook with OS X Panther.

Maybe jt's my machine if no one else has the problem.

Thanks,

Troy

Paul,

With the upgraded forum, my Safari browser crashes/ closes when I try to return from within the posts back to the main site by clicking the back button. I'm using a Mac Ibook with OS X Panther.

Maybe jt's my machine if no one else has the problem.

Thanks,

Troy

Working ok in Safari for me.

Is it only when at this site that the back button doesn't work?

Working ok in Safari for me.

Is it only when at this site that the back button doesn't work?

No, It also happens at the Weather Channel site when I try to switch between 10day forcast and hourly forcast. So I guess it's my problem.

Thanks,

Troy

Gentlemen,

A solution to my crash problem is to disable the Javascript by going to Safari preferences and unchecking the Javascript box under "security". Maybe this will save Mac users some trouble in case my problem is not unique.

Thanks all.

Troy

Are all your software updates, er, up to date? Particularly Safari/Java.

The Update function says I'm current.

Investigating my problem I ran across numerous references to Javascript/Safari induced crashes. I don't know enough to comprehend this stuff, but it only takes about 10 seconds to disable Javascript. When I went to Yahoo Mail, I got this reprimand for not using Javascript, then it timed out and defaulted to a much cleaner looking email program.

After viewing the following site, I get the impression that Javascript is at best a necessary evil. So I'm not looking back.

See this: http://www.mackido.com/Web/JavaScript.html

After viewing the following site, I get the impression that Javascript is at best a necessary evil. So I'm not looking back.

See this: http://www.mackido.com/Web/JavaScript.html

Thanks, interesting info. So Javascript is completely different from Java.

There was a time when Safari kept closing on me. (I think I may have had that problem with this site before.) It's ok now. If I get problems in future I'll try turning it off.

Javascript is used in the pages of this site, Is all working without javascript? What's new is that Ajax is used too. Isn't Firefox an alternative on the mac?

Yes, thanks. Firefox is an alternative. Safari is very good and has not been giving me problems in recent times. It was some time ago that I had the problem with the browser closing and I can't remember exactly what actions on the site were causing it.

Apple's own site uses Applescript of course.

I found this information about a previous OS upgrade from 10.4.3 to 10.4.4. It addresses a problem that there was with Javascript. The current OS version is 10.4.7, which I am using.

"Safari

Addresses an issue in which some websites, such as www.cbsnews.com, could cause CPU usage to spike unnecessarily, or cause Safari to stop responding, unless Safari's Enable JavaScript preference was deselected.

Resolves an issue in which Safari could unexpectedly quit if you tried to save a web page which includes an inline PDF file as a Web Archive.

Addresses an issue that could cause Safari to unexpectedly quit when filling out forms on some websites."