Replacement flywheel / clutch

kbird

Advice is needed,

I'm looking at a Scura that is for sale and I'm concerned about the exploding flywheel issues. My questions are;

1. Is there a aftermarket replacement kit that will resolve this problem - such as the RAM kit from MPH Cycles?

2. Has anyone had a Scura in the USA that had the same problems as in Europe?

3. If the Ram kit will not resolve the issue-can a flywheel-clutch from a Lemans be used instead of the Scura set up or some other modification.

I really like the Scura but don't want to buy something that has dependability issues.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ken

Are you an alcoholic, wife-beating, neanderthalic reprobate? I only ask because that describes the typical Scurista. :bike:

But to answer some of your questions- yes the RAM clutch will fit and solve any potential clutch exploding problems. So will a clutch off a Le Mans, but only a newer one with the appropriate spline for the 6-speed. I would think the RAM clutch would have a more similar feel to the stock units.

I cannot answer question #2.

Advice is needed,

I'm looking at a Scura that is for sale and I'm concerned about the exploding flywheel issues. My questions are;

1. Is there a aftermarket replacement kit that will resolve this problem - such as the RAM kit from MPH Cycles?

2. Has anyone had a Scura in the USA that had the same problems as in Europe?

3. If the Ram kit will not resolve the issue-can a flywheel-clutch from a Lemans be used instead of the Scura set up or some other modification.

AFAIK, the answers are:

1) Yes, exactly.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Supposedly, the exploding aluminum OEM flywheels, while made by RAM, were made to Guzzi's specs (apparently, with inappropriate radii on some of the cuts) whereas the RAM aftermarket versions are not prone to catastrophic failure. IIRC, there's some pics of Al flywheel shrapnel over at GuzziTech? (maybe somewhere else...) with some commentary upon the ultimate cause(s) of failure...

FWIW: the additional lightness vs. the already lightened v11 flywheels just leads to less torque reaction when blipping the throttle at stoplights and more driveline snatch when noodling along at slack throttle; for most purposes, you'd be better off replacing it w/ the standard steel unit [altho' Pete Roper will tell you that you want the 20# unit from a Convert in there! :grin:)

Best o' luck w/ your decision! :ninja:

Guest drknow

AFAIK, the answers are:

1) Yes, exactly.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Supposedly, the exploding aluminum OEM flywheels, while made by RAM, were made to Guzzi's specs (apparently, with inappropriate radii on some of the cuts) whereas the RAM aftermarket versions are not prone to catastrophic failure. IIRC, there's some pics of Al flywheel shrapnel over at GuzziTech? (maybe somewhere else...) with some commentary upon the ultimate cause(s) of failure...

FWIW: the additional lightness vs. the already lightened v11 flywheels just leads to less torque reaction when blipping the throttle at stoplights and more driveline snatch when noodling along at slack throttle; for most purposes, you'd be better off replacing it w/ the standard steel unit [altho' Pete Roper will tell you that you want the 20# unit from a Convert in there! :grin:)

Best o' luck w/ your decision! :ninja:

I much prefer the lighter clutch set up on the Scura, and when I replace mine, it'll be with the RAM aftermarket clutch, which is lighter yet from what I hear. I'd recommend riding them back to back, a light clutch and standard clutch bike. Some people honestly like the heavier one, but I can't figure out why. The driveline snatch thing simply a motor that is more responsive and revs more quickly...

dk

I'd definitely suggest going with the RAM as long as the cost is comparable with the later twin-plater with light flywheel. While I love heavy flywheel bikes I have to say that I'd tend to shy away from them on a V11 because the driveline shock absorber in the gearbox is the later type that uses a stack of bent washers rather than a conventional spring and the heavier flywheel will give the shock absorber a bigger workout than the lighter ones. While I don't have any first hand experience of this a very reputable source has told me that late model Cali's, which have the same shock absorber and a heavy flywheel, have a bit of a habit of flogging out the splines that the face-cam mechanism sits on on the input shaft. This is principally because ith the advent of the 'Washer Stack' spring the splines are very much shorter than they used to be on the 'Spring' spring shafts. Given that the V11's use the same washer stack I'd guess you'd have the same splineform on the shaft.

Pete

Guest Gary Cheek

Are you an alcoholic, wife-beating, neanderthalic reprobate? I only ask because that describes the typical Scurista. :bike:

But to answer some of your questions- yes the RAM clutch will fit and solve any potential clutch exploding problems. So will a clutch off a Le Mans, but only a newer one with the appropriate spline for the 6-speed. I would think the RAM clutch would have a more similar feel to the stock units.

I cannot answer question #2.

If I sell my Scura will I stop beating my wife and become a non-neanderthal professor of stereotypathy?

I want to remain a reprobate, that is why I chose professorship. -_-

There's a third option:

The warranty-takeoff single-plate clutches from a Cali can be easily lightened to Sport or RAM weight. When fitted with the right plate, they work great, and they're made of goo, old reliable steel.

I'm building a hot-rod Tonti LeMans with a Sport 1100i engine in it, and that's the clutch I'mm gonna fit it with. My Eldo already has one, since September of last year.

Guest Gary Cheek

There's a third option:

The warranty-takeoff single-plate clutches from a Cali can be easily lightened to Sport or RAM weight. When fitted with the right plate, they work great, and they're made of goo, old reliable steel.

I'm building a hot-rod Tonti LeMans with a Sport 1100i engine in it, and that's the clutch I'mm gonna fit it with. My Eldo already has one, since September of last year.

Yep ,

I have salvaged three of those flywheel/clutch systems sor far. They totally transformed my Eldo and 850T.

Well, after a lot of heart searching and cogitation I abandoned the single plate route and fitted a 10 spring V10 clutch assembly.

The difference I have noted is that the drive take up is smoother, it is barely perceptably down in terms of eagerness to rev, so I would say that with the factor that it is a road bike and is now non-grenading, I am really, really pleased that I have gone to the trouble of changing it.

Yes, I did penetrant test the alloy flywheel from the original single plate unit and, yes it was on the road to failure. :bbblll:

That said, the grenading clutch aside...yes it is a big exclusion! :blush: I am really chuffed I bought the Scura. The running gear is top quality.

Nige. B)

OK... we need some pics to go with this thread.

10-spring clutches

Dual disc clitches

Single disc clutches

I'd love to see what this stuff looks like before crabbibg my 2000 V-11 Sport this winter!

Yep. It's already assembled, so it just needs to be bolted onto the crankshaft. The bolts were supplied with the clutch. It uses a special transmission input hub (also supplied) so that needs to be changed out as well.