I was life threatened the other day.

Greetings!

In my line of work I never go anywhere without either my kershaw or my benchmade in my pocket. They have saved my rear many a time. As the saying goes, a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, with this in mind the best sharpening system I've come across is the Lansky diamond honing set, with a normal extra-fine stone which puts an incredible edge on anything. Depending on the degree of "sharp" you want you can adjust the angle from 17 to 30 degrees. I tend to run a 30 degree edge on my kershaw as the blade is S60V, and the edge retention is excellent.

That is a rather nice collection. I've actually been looking into cold steel for a katana. I use them to.. um... chop vegetables :whistle: It looks like they make some really good stuff.

I also have a pair of kevlar gloves that work wonders for protection when handling these kinds of things, though I can't remember where I got them, but I use them all the time training and also in the garage.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curring a weapon small or big is dangerous because one has to control will (at "strange" situations)of when and if using it and gennerally getting out of the state of mind

"look, now that I probably have an advantage I can start a fight and stick it anywhere and win",that's plain stupid .

Or gennerally avoiding the temtation to think of it as a "first resort" it has to be always the "last resort" and that's difficult to do if one doesn't knows the "hows" and the "whens" and the "what afters" of using or not.

Evil is in the hearts of some people , not in the knives and being legal that doesn't mean that you don't have a right and learn to defend your life, to be protected from evil.

I concur wholeheartedly.

And again, I won't say a word about guns :whistle:

and my trainee would beat the crap out of him (sorry that should read secure and cuff him).

One of the reasons police lack credibility to jurors....

326505.jpghttp://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/1899562.html

The New Orleans Police Department probably has the worst reputation in the USA....assuming you consider brutality and corruption a bad thing for a reputation.

I know I would not cut it as a Law Enforcement Officer.

At best, I'd be ostracized as a Serpico.

I have some reasons why I'm not going into law enforcement anymore. I've changed my major to possibly Rad tech but I might just go for a business degree and do who knows what. Really like to open a cigar/coffee shop but I have not the means so I'll just keep workin for the man

and for me I have benchmade folder I got at strichers, or however you spell it, in town here.

154CM whatever that is exactly they say turbine steel

php3Oanl4.jpg

its the middle one. its a nice. I have a gerber something or other but they're shite. Cold steel looks nice I might get a few swords from them at some point to ahhhh chop veggies :whistle:

actually mount them on the wall and display them. I want a shield too, anyone know a good place?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Alex, but I too have always appreciated a good knife, mainly folding pocket knives. When I traveled to Minneapolis I would visit the Mall of America and there used to be a good knife store there, alas it closed several years ago.

One thing I have always been interested in is a good sharpening method/knowledge. So what tips or techniques do you use? I am partial to water stones. Are the various guides/jigs sold useful?

No , you don't highjack the thread. Sharpening is a big art I suppose that I don't completellymaster.But I have quite some experience with it.Will try to answer short

Gennerally there are a lot of sharpeners out there, the main principle is to have the same angle all the time the knife is moved to the stone on both sides, and then there is the edge shape that can be made.

For instance most thick knives (over 3/16 inch.) will require a 35/40 degree angle edge (20 on each side to the vertical)thin kitchen knives can require a smaler angle 28-32 or so.

Doing a convex fashion edge is the best for cutting penetration, so first the edge has to be made (completely) with a shalower angle 36 or 30 deg, and then another sharpening in 40deg.(if you go this angle sizes)

Of cource the kind of steel also is importand for cutting power and edge retention so various steels are used in the industry.(that's also another subject we can talk)

Yes I have a system (edge pro) that uses water stones ,and some japanese stones are also with water is said to be good. Personally I find the ceramic stones from Spyderco the best ,hands down to anything for home use from what, I have used so far. No water or anything and very tough , even when in high grits (600) for fine sharpening /polishing.And their tri-angle sharpener which is excellent when mastered. Vey effective on making sharp edges, I have done all knifes , even with M2HS steel so sharp that was knife was shaving effrtlessly

Also a typical nice sharpening would be with these grits 120, to 180 to 300 to 600 areas. Polishing the blade with higher grits wil result to cut of any burr that exists in the edge

therefore more edge retaintion and sharper as well. Some say that over sharpening isn"t good but up to these grits zou can get razors edge++

If you need I can "pdf" you a booklet with all the sharpening secrets.

Of cource that's for home use, cause there is also the Belt method or the wheel method that requires a maschine moving the belt or the buffing wheel and the master to sharpen exact.

:bier:

Cold steel looks nice I might get a few swords from them at some point to ahhhh chop veggies :whistle:

actually mount them on the wall and display them. I want a shield too, anyone know a good place?

Hehe :lol: , that's right. Spydercos are powerfull and use some of the best steels on the market.

I just find them ugly and don't have one.154cm is considered a excellent steel for a knive and is on the "high class" steels Japaneese equivelent is the ATS34, which spyderco also uses, and another exotic extraordinarie is the SV30 and the even more durable SV60. You can also see A2 D2 and M2HS in some brands , these are also high class steels with the D2 exceeding in vebration tolerances from all 3 above.

:( The problem whilst I say it tongue in cheek - there are those who take it literally

In my examples above the head shot with the Asp could be justifiable, the "beating the crap out" wouldn't, and having thrown his scalpel away, he became compliant and was cuffed without any "roughing up"

I remember the first time I was disbelieved at Crown Court. I took it personally as an attack on my integrity. But these people don't know me.

And why not as a LEO. This role should be undertaken by persons of the highest moral integrity* & courage.

It has to be done properly, whats the satisfaction in seeing a guilty person walk because you've been caught massaging the evidence and may even get a payout.

* :blush: open road speed limits are my downfall :bike::blush:

Greetings!

In my line of work I never go anywhere without either my kershaw or my benchmade in my pocket. They have saved my rear many a time. As the saying goes, a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, with this in mind the best sharpening system I've come across is the Lansky diamond honing set, with a normal extra-fine stone which puts an incredible edge on anything. Depending on the degree of "sharp" you want you can adjust the angle from 17 to 30 degrees. I tend to run a 30 degree edge on my kershaw as the blade is S60V, and the edge retention is excellent.

That is a rather nice collection. I've actually been looking into cold steel for a katana. I use them to.. um... chop vegetables :whistle: It looks like they make some really good stuff.

I also have a pair of kevlar gloves that work wonders for protection when handling these kinds of things, though I can't remember where I got them, but I use them all the time training and also in the garage.

Cool .. :thumbsup:, I have heared about Lansky sharpening systems , how easy is on getting precision on the angle all the time? Any experience with oher systems to compare it with? I am very satisfied with the Spyderco ceramic stones, though I would like to experiment with good stuff out there.

Yes , C.S. have 2 series on their katana swords.

I also like the "Scotish Broad Sword" ,also the ScotishDirk, for collection .Or cut vegetables and water-melons with them. :whistle:

:( The problem whilst I say it tongue in cheek - there are those who take it literally

In my examples above the head shot with the Asp could be justifiable, the "beating the crap out" wouldn't, and having thrown his scalpel away, he became compliant and was cuffed without any "roughing up"

I remember the first time I was disbelieved at Crown Court. I took it personally as an attack on my integrity. But these people don't know me.

And why not as a LEO. This role should be undertaken by persons of the highest moral integrity* & courage.

It has to be done properly, whats the satisfaction in seeing a guilty person walk because you've been caught massaging the evidence and may even get a payout.

* :blush: open road speed limits are my downfall :bike::blush:

I understood it as tongue in cheek but find far less than funny. <_>

I am not sure I would have the courage to disarm that loose nut.

As for moral integrity, I would be a hypocrite to enforce many laws, especially speeding.

I am sure it takes someone going well over the speed limit to get you to pull them over, unless your supervisor is making you meet a quota at the speed trap. But maybe that is small price to pay for the pride of putting the real bad guys behind bars. :bier:

Also, I suppose part of integrity is seperating the dumb laws from the good laws, even if it is not your job...