I was life threatened the other day.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understood it as tongue in cheek but find far less than funny. <_>

Sorry I'd have to take the hit on that.

I suppose rather akin how I find " special needs child running", can see where the humour is coming from but it doesn't hit the spot for me (too close to home)

:( The problem whilst I say it tongue in cheek - there are those who take it literally

I think I phrased that poorly it would have been better - :( The problem whilst I say it tongue in cheek - there are those officers who take it literally

On a daily basis we are faced with the stereo type of racist; violent; bigoted and donut munching. I'd admit to the donut munching :blush: There are some classic comedy moments based on these stereotypes. Unfortunately some of these traits manifest in excesses like Dave pointed out and the subsequent investigation sometimes can appear like a whitewash. These acts do us no favours at all.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but have never seen excesses like that, perhaps it better selection and different environments? What I do see (cctv), daily is officers facing utmost provocation and acting appropriately and proportionately, with out resorting to excessive force. But a few rotten apples spoil it for the whole barrel, and these days it knows no borders.

Well, now that someone mentioned it... time to have a little fun :)

pic13.jpg

Me playing around at the range... those are 10 round groups, slow fire at 50 feet.

Having said I go nowhere without my benchmade or my kershaw... rule #1 is not to allow an attacker close enough to have to use them. Given a rifle, I'm consistently 9/10 in the black at 500 yards. That 10th shot is always giving me problems...

On a different note, the Lansky system is relatively easy to get a precision angle (+/- 1-2 degrees) but can easily be controlled based on how you mount the bars to the stones. I've had nothing but success with it. What would be nice, however is a way to gauge the angle of the edge that's already on there with a good degree of accuracy.

Well, now that someone mentioned it... time to have a little fun :)

pic13.jpg

Me playing around at the range... those are 10 round groups, slow fire at 50 feet.

Having said I go nowhere without my benchmade or my kershaw... rule #1 is not to allow an attacker close enough to have to use them. Given a rifle, I'm consistently 9/10 in the black at 500 yards. That 10th shot is always giving me problems...

PSH, thats easy with a sighted-in scope and you take your time :bbblll: I bet that 10th one is actually the first one and you compensate for the other nine and get'em spot on :whistle: . Try it with a handgun, now that takes some freakin skill. How anyone gets killed with handguns on the street is beyond me, unlucky I guess? I shot 400 .40 rounds the other day and I tell you I can almost put the bullets through the same holes with open sights on a rifle at 50ft but I'm lucky to hit the silouette with that stupid glock. NOW from 25 feet I can get the hand gun in a pretty decent pattern but I know if someone was shooting at me I'd be firing wildly. :huh2:

Rumour has it that the Peacemaker was more accurate thrown at the person than fired. The brass framed stuff is only fit for ornamental use.

That's what the Flight Sergeant said when I was doing my RAF weapons training - 9mm Browning SLP at 15yds. "Wait to you see the whites of their eyes and throw it at them" :D

Explains the shoot outs on the telly on the "cops" type programmes.

I've seen some live round demonstrations at police training school. Most impressed with the solid rifled slug though things probably have moved on since then with sabots etc

snip

Thanks for the reply :bier:

A few months ago, I was standing at the desk in police station to pick up some personal belongings and it was amusing to hear how candid the officers were about various issues.

One of them changed the topic on use of force when they noticed me at the desk :D

They were discussing a domestic dispute, they had not said anything self-incriminating, just a little machismo statement like, "If you mess with the bull, you get the horns" type of thing. It must be difficult to stay pollitically correct in that environment.

For the record: only the standard sights for me, as we do not use optics when qualifying with the M16A2 service rifle. The target at the range was shot with my 9mm upper on my M4, unsupported standing, as there's no place to fire it near my house with the 5.56 upper. I get slightly larger groups than those, however at 30 feet with both my .45 and my .38. To fire at the 500 all one can do is make sure the sights are properly set at 36 yards (or 300) and then make the correct adjustment. Though I fire well at 300 the problem is that the wind at 500 is enough to make a huge difference with such a light round; as such the 10th shot usually comes when there's a wind gust during the trajectory. Windage at 300 plus a click or two usually provides a good enough base to hit at 500, though this changes depending on the round.

The sad truth is that doing what I do there are times when my survival depends on my ability to fire, but such is the world we live in....

For the record: only the standard sights for me, as we do not use optics when qualifying with the M16A2 service rifle. The target at the range was shot with my 9mm upper on my M4, unsupported standing, as there's no place to fire it near my house with the 5.56 upper. I get slightly larger groups than those, however at 30 feet with both my .45 and my .38. To fire at the 500 all one can do is make sure the sights are properly set at 36 yards (or 300) and then make the correct adjustment. Though I fire well at 300 the problem is that the wind at 500 is enough to make a huge difference with such a light round; as such the 10th shot usually comes when there's a wind gust during the trajectory. Windage at 300 plus a click or two usually provides a good enough base to hit at 500, though this changes depending on the round.

The sad truth is that doing what I do there are times when my survival depends on my ability to fire, but such is the world we live in....

I'd like to try an M4 in 9mm. Put quite a few rounds through an HK MP-5 a few years back and really liked it.

Also had a buch of fun with a .22LR conversion in a full auto M16. Tedious part was loading up the clips.

Guest ratchethack

. . . Put quite a few rounds through an HK MP-5 a few years back and really liked it.

I saw a video on the relatively new H&K MP7 yesterday. Where the MP5 is known as a "comfortable" weapon in close quarter situations, it's limited by the 9x19 mm cartridge and can't penetrate body armor. The MP7 cuts thru standard body armor like a hot knife thru butter.

The MP7 is chambered for the new 4.6x30mm cartridge, developed jointly by H&K and Royal Ordnance Radway Green.

From Guns Magazine , Feb, 2003 by Charles Q. Cutshaw:

A key element of the MP7's design is the 4.6x30mm nontoxic cartridge. The bullet is of solid steel, copper plated and weighs 24.7 grains (l.6g). It leaves the muzzle at 2,379 fps (725 mps), with muzzle energy of 312 ft-lb. (420 joules). In contrast, the standard NATO 9xl9mm cartridge has a muzzle velocity of 1,299fps (396 mps) and a muzzle energy of 430 ft-lb. (583 joules).

The 4.6mm bullet has a high ballistic coefficient, and is fired at a higher velocity than the 9mm, which gives it a flatter trajectory and greater range. The 9mm bullet, for example, will not defeat the standard NATO CRISAT target (1.6mm of titanium and 20 layers of Kevlar[R]) at 50 meters. The 4.6mm bullet, on the other hand, will defeat it at over 100 meters, with sufficient velocity to transfer 85 ft-lb. (115 joules) of energy into and completely perforate a 150mm thick block of ordnance gelatin behind the armor barrier.

A new meaning for the term "respect" on the field of combat. :notworthy:

Rumour has it that the Peacemaker was more accurate thrown at the person than fired. The brass framed stuff is only fit for ornamental use.

Yes, please.

That's for the run of the mill "farm hand w/ a gun." A proper shootist took the time to find out what charge his gun liked [don't just cover the ball w/ powder & load, altho' that's the old BP* rule of thumb] and what brand o' ball had the right hardness of lead [yes, lead comes in diffn't alloys, and they make a difference to how the black-powder arm shoots.] Oh, and practice, practice, practice!

The brass-framed stuff actually works fine for light loads but will shoot loose over time; the iron stuff will hold up for the long term as long as you clean it religiously after firing. Guess ol' Sam Colt knew what he was doing after he'd spent 15 years trying & failing to make a repeater that worked...

The biggest problem w/ those old charcoal burners, Peacemaker or otherwise, was that the sights were so execrable. It was a wonder that anyone could be accurate enough to be dangerous w/ one, let alone so many as to generate the legends of the "Old West..." ;)

*-Up until the French invented smokeless, there was no "black" powder, it was all just "gunpowder" until that funny-smellin' smokeless stuff came along... ;)]

Dunno what this has to do w/ Guzzis, of course, other than being another machine that some view as "antiquated" yet still performs it's function quite handily...

:mg:

Grenades are things of beauty. Never before have I been so impressed with the sheer power of a baseball sized device. Have ear plugs... as the detonation is deafening. I've had the pleasure of using some pretty neat stuff but my favorite is still the MK19. Something about fully automatic and 40mm grenades in the same package just produces a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Especially if you've got an itch to destroy something. :D

I'm almost more of a fan of the small arms though, I'm accurate enough (pie plate) at 50 feet with my .45 and 9mm but with the M4 being primary the pistols usually get used last ditch to fight one's way to a rifle.