V11 Torque arm

rossoandy

Are the bushes for the torque arm on the bevel box available separately from anywhere? They are a simple Metalastic bush and could easily be changed when worn. Mine have stared to show signs of wear (off centre/breaking up) and I am not keen to pay loads for a complete arm unless I have too. :2c:

Anyone found a suitable replacment?

Are the bushes for the torque arm on the bevel box available separately from anywhere? They are a simple Metalastic bush and could easily be changed when worn. Mine have stared to show signs of wear (off centre/breaking up) and I am not keen to pay loads for a complete arm unless I have too. :2c:

Anyone found a suitable replacment?

Interestingly you cant buy the bushes from Guzzi separately...but if you buy a new arm complete with bushes..the bushes come separately in a little bag!! :doh:

I had a quote of around £12 each here in UK..but I gotta buy 50! Awaiting writen confirmation. I feel sure some FIAT or suchlike uses same bush somewhere an they about 5p to buy...

Guest ratchethack

Andy, like Docc says, this has come up before. Can't recall exact solutions posted here, but I'll bet any good suspension shop could fix you up without too much fu$$. :sun:

Andy, like Docc says, this has come up before. Can't recall exact solutions posted here, but I'll bet any good suspension shop could fix you up without too much fu$$. :sun:

I running out of ideas here in Uk. Must be someone who can supply them or a close alternative.

10-2-07.Just got an e mail from manufacturer,could be got very cheaply if I order 250! So all I need is around 50 orders @£25 a set and I be ok............did Guzzi sell that many V11s ? lol

I've been searching the web, but I haven't found a source there yet. One thing I did notice was that most of the sellers of Metalatik anythings were bearing supply houses. I'll pull mine out and shop it around while I am in the field on Monday and see what I find. If I come up with anything I'll post the information here.

If anyone has the dimensions so I don't have to leave my bike sitting on a floor jack, I would appreciate you posting them here. Thanks.

Ryan

I've been searching the web, but I haven't found a source there yet. One thing I did notice was that most of the sellers of Metalatik anythings were bearing supply houses. I'll pull mine out and shop it around while I am in the field on Monday and see what I find. If I come up with anything I'll post the information here.

If anyone has the dimensions so I don't have to leave my bike sitting on a floor jack, I would appreciate you posting them here. Thanks.

Ryan

Be good if you can find some to match,dimensions are,30mm o/s dia, 10mm dia hole where bolt goes through.width of steel outer of bush 26mm, widest point where bolt goes through ie inner sleeve 31.7mm.measured with vernier caliper. thanks andy

:drink:

Bmw makes replacement bushings for there arms i used them to replace mine 02 lemans you need to make two spacers orshims about 60 thous. thick theywork just fine and only $14.00 dollars each. good luck

Thanks for that info,I will be speaking to my local BM dealer,they were helpful when I needed a headlamp glass a year or two ago. I will however further pursue other options as I am sure they are out there cheaper still. I feel FIAT cars may use bushes this size on older cars for track control arm an like?

:drink:

Thanks for that info,I will be speaking to my local BM dealer,they were helpful when I needed a headlamp glass a year or two ago. I will however further pursue other options as I am sure they are out there cheaper still. I feel FIAT cars may use bushes this size on older cars for track control arm an like?

You might want to ask for "spherical bearings" rather than bushes, if that's what those are [i can't recall, but I seem to remember some test pointing out back in the day that the then-new Guzzi floating hub was connected to the frame via a torque arm floating on spherical bearings on each end... Just an idea, don't mind me, I might have my head stuck up my backside! :grin:

You might want to ask for "spherical bearings" rather than bushes, if that's what those are [i can't recall, but I seem to remember some test pointing out back in the day that the then-new Guzzi floating hub was connected to the frame via a torque arm floating on spherical bearings on each end... Just an idea, don't mind me, I might have my head stuck up my backside! :grin:

nah mate you ok, more likely guzzi got its head up its backside....'spherical bearings'!! lol they are metalastic type bushes!!!!! although I guess 'spherical bearings' does sound better. :moon:

• 3 weeks later...

I have beed trying to come up with a useable solution to the problem that didn't involve putting the same prone-to-failure parts back in my bike. I have about 2,000 miles and the torque arm slides off the bushing and rubs on the rear housing. I have a few options, but none of them involve the use of rubberized bushings.

Which brings up a concern. Is there a need for the rubber to isolate vibration, or was this simply cheaper than a real bearing and was this the reason it was used?

If there is no shock or vibration damping needed, a simple aluminum pipe with a heim joint on each end will suffice, or a pair of appropriately sized sealed bearing pressed into the arm would be fine and cheap.

Opinions?

Ryan

I have replaced a similar type isolator with a polyethylene sleeve that I turned out on my little lathe. I just reuse the center-sleeve from the OEM rubber unit.

Automobile racer-types are always doing this with suspension components to sharpen up the suspension and steering.