V11 Torque arm

rossoandy

Thanks guys for your input on this. I have been really busy at work so not had time even to pick up replies here.

Rose joints and spacers look like cheap option but I have no way of machining the req spacers so at the moment rossoporro arm with new rose joints at 88euro seems good value to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Please forgive me for asking an obviously stupid question, but what is the difference between the "rubbery thingies" on the torque arm and spherical bearings (like these: http://www.alinabal.com/mtd/sphericalbearings/)?

Not knowing much about either "rubbery thingies" nor spherical bearings, I am afraid. :huh2:

Two things, mainly.

1. Price. The rubbery things are (or should be) a lot cheaper.

2. Durability. The rubbery things should not go rusty overnight, which the exposed bearings will.

In addition, the rubbery things have a degree of flexibility in more than one axis. That can be true for bearings but to a more limited extent. This may have some implication regarding percieved vibration.

In reality, it's another step along the line of reducing the requirement for servicing. Instead of having to lubricate a bearing at every service or more often, rubbery things are replaced at less frequent intervals.

Today I was out in a store for technical rubber stuff.

Rubber bushes are available, but not in the requiered dimensions.

The bushes with ID of 10 end with an OD of 27 mm.

Rubber bushes with ID 12 and OD 30 are available, but the inner bush is 34 mm wide instead of 32.

I ordered a pair of these and will look forward to modify them.

In a car spare part store I found a lower crossmember bushing from a Citroen Visa/C15 with ID 10, OD 28, wide 34 at a price of € 4,70. This could also be modified to fit.

But I think it is easier to press in a sleeve cut off a tube of 12 x 1 mm than to get a tube with 30 x 1 mm to press in the other rubber bushing.

Is there anybody out who knows the manufacturer of the stock bushing?

I agree with Mike that a rubber bushing is is a much better solution at this place than a spherical bearing. And it irks me that this is not available as a spare part.

Today I was out in a store for technical rubber stuff.

Rubber bushes are available, but not in the requiered dimensions.

The bushes with ID of 10 end with an OD of 27 mm.

Rubber bushes with ID 12 and OD 30 are available, but the inner bush is 34 mm wide instead of 32.

I ordered a pair of these and will look forward to modify them.

In a car spare part store I found a lower crossmember bushing from a Citroen Visa/C15 with ID 10, OD 28, wide 34 at a price of € 4,70. This could also be modified to fit.

But I think it is easier to press in a sleeve cut off a tube of 12 x 1 mm than to get a tube with 30 x 1 mm to press in the other rubber bushing.

Is there anybody out who knows the manufacturer of the stock bushing?

I agree with Mike that a rubber bushing is is a much better solution at this place than a spherical bearing. And it irks me that this is not available as a spare part.

I have to say I have been a lazy ass and have not posted my cheap alternative. I tried using bearings, but the old bushes had rounded out my bores to just a hair over 30mm, so the bearings slid right in... and out. I found that the handlebar bushings for a Harley Sportster would work. I pulled the rubber, etc off the inner sleeve of the old bushing and trimmed the new bushing to size with my bench grinder. I shortened the inside edge a bit and ground the outside down to fit between the "ears" on the bevel-box and frame. So far it works well, and only cost me $18 and a little labor.

At some point I will make a torque arm out of aluminum tube and heim joints, but for now this works and saves me $$$$.

I used Biker's Choice handlebar bushing kit for 73-99 Sportsters. Harley bushings and Buel pegs... does this mean I have to wear a beanie helmet and will start thinking of Starbucks as a day's ride away?

Ryan

Two things, mainly.

1. Price. The rubbery things are (or should be) a lot cheaper.

2. Durability. The rubbery things should not go rusty overnight, which the exposed bearings will.

In addition, the rubbery things have a degree of flexibility in more than one axis. That can be true for bearings but to a more limited extent. This may have some implication regarding percieved vibration.

In reality, it's another step along the line of reducing the requirement for servicing. Instead of having to lubricate a bearing at every service or more often, rubbery things are replaced at less frequent intervals.

Should read:

"1: Price. Rubber is d@mn cheap.

2: Durability. Rubber is cheap; it doesn't last under constant stress, but it isn't affected by the weather much, either. Face it, if it's so cold out the rubber is brittle, you're not likely to be riding, either.

3. The spherical bearings, as long as they're lubed regularly w/ a good barium (ie, "water resistant") grease, will never need replacing. And function better. But they ain't cheap."

;)

Here is listed the rubber bushes available.

Skeeve

I think that rubber bushes are the better way for this purpose as they provide some damping effect for the drive train. Even the smallest play in a bearing will cause a clacking noise.

Thaks everone for input, still no clear answer though.

The alternative Rosso Porro arm seems best alternative for the money?

I pissed Guzzi dont supply things like these bushes or drive shaft u/joints....

Guess we live in 'throw-away' rather than 'fix-it' society huh <_>

Still feel our bikes meant to be more durable and 'old school' therefore would expect to be able to buy these wear items easily.........

Somehow I am under impression that we should not aim for the original part as these bushes tend to get FUBAR after a short service life (3-4 years). :huh2:

If motoguzznix can confirm that the bushes fit and provide us with a cost indication for the parts and labor, that would be sufficient for me.