TIRES, TIRES, TIRES

Guest Phil/TX

Anything will slide on gravel unless you go for knobbies. Don't think the 011 are any better than anything else athough find the sport to be pretty reasonble on gravel. Wieght back favour the back brake be postive keep the bike as upright as possible and grip the tank wit the knees basically ride it like a trail bike. Don't think going for a narrow frnt tyre would be of any real benifit think you are far more likely to get the benfit from a change to a 160 rear on a V11 athough will probally require a rim change as well. There are a couple of profiles you can get for the front I tend to go for the 70 profiles over the 60 series. You could try a 60 series to sharpen the steering a little.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't thinking of running gravel races with my V11,

just getting resonable stability at resonable speeds. :bike:

On the Beeza I have Avon Roadrunner AM20 90/90-19

on the front rim and get much better stability then on the V11,

Of course the rim diameter, seating position and lower weight

makes for better "gravel characteristics",

but a still think the narrower tyre also plays a not insignificant

part.

Also I think the wide tyres on modern bikes is more a question

of styling then road-holding :huh2:

With 3.5"/4.5" rims it should be possible to go down to 110/150,

at least according to Avon.

I find the micheline pilots are gret for the fist half to tow thirds of thier wear. Then they go crap really suddenly all out of shape and just genrally pretty average. Seems to be worse on heavier bikes like Guzzi's. Back the the gravel question i find the conbination of 120 front 160 rear to be quiet reansoble on gravel up to around 90 kph athough a hrad base helps. Obiously corners are taken a bit slower haven't tried much faster......yet :D

Guest jeremy

I personally have no problem with the slow old fat man saving some bucks, I have worn out just about every brand on my centauro and have resorted to using the conti forces cause they are the best ones I have used so far. Granted they do get a little squirly about 120-130 mph but I don't ride that fast often. I prefer to wear the front tires out before the rear (I have touched the pegs down with these tires) and I can get 1500 more miles out of them then a set of dunlop 220's (that suck, don't buy them). plus I think 140$ for front and rear tires is enough. honestly though, they are very good and sticky tires.

:bier:

Dave Richardson of Moto International says that a 110 front and a 160 rear are a very good combination with a light feel.

I use stock sizes in a Metzeler M1 Sportec series. Very happy with the tires and I get 5000+ out of them.

Carl,

Are you using the same tires on your "bugswatter" as the "exhilerator?"

And Dave's talking 160/60 and 110/70?

Also I wonder ahat tire pressures you use? I find 38-40 minimizes high speed squirm and firms up cornering. Added bonus: less wear.

Regarding the original query: i really enjoy the dramatic compression braking of the Guzzi. Not to mention the acceleration and torque. Multiply that x6 upshifting and x6 down and . . .what's that? oh, the smell of tire having gone away!

After the original Pirellis, dunlops, Bridgestones and, now Michelin Pilot Road I get around 4000-4500 (never mind the 2800 on the Pirelli rear). Fronts usually get more .