new 1200S - don't hold your breath

gh67

The 1200S is a nice improvement on the Breva, but I think Piaggiao is making the right decision, If they have something else to offer, like a Griso Quattro Valvole.

But what we really NEED is an MGS01 styled bike :grin:

It would also be nice if we could approach BMW performance <_>

Guzzi is nearly ten years behind BMW, but the Quattro Valvole 1200 could narrow that gap.

The 1200S is a stop-gap bike.

I mean, really, it's just a bar kit and bikini fairing on a Breva...

The US market is too small for both the Breva and 1200 Sport. It would be an either/or deal here.

The US market is too small for both the Breva and 1200 Sport. It would be an either/or deal here.

Maybe...But still I'm surprised at the lack of "market aggressivity" of Piaggio when you see that Ducati is selling its (all sold out already..) 1098 a mere 3.000 €uros less in the US than in Europe.

I'm pretty sure if Piaggio had "half the balls the Bologna factory has"*, the MGS02 would already be a reality, the 1200 S would be already gracing the US roads and "x" more riders would have been buying a Geese...

* it might be only a "break or pass" move from Bologna. Heck, they even have their workers on strike for the moment..

After looking at one in the flesh I think the styling is a mess. I agree with the posts above that it is just a Breva with a nose fairing and diffent bars, plus the Norge motor.

Claims of it being the most powerful Guzzi ever, launching it to the world on a racetrack, painting white numberboards on it and calling it a Sport won't convince us that it is indeed a sporting tool.

Still may be a nice bike to ride but it is not what is says on the tin.

Guy :helmet:

Maybe...But still I'm surprised at the lack of "market aggressivity" of Piaggio when you see that Ducati is selling its (all sold out already..) 1098 a mere 3.000 €uros less in the US than in Europe.

I'm pretty sure if Piaggio had "half the balls the Bologna factory has"*, the MGS02 would already be a reality, the 1200 S would be already gracing the US roads and "x" more riders would have been buying a Geese...

* it might be only a "break or pass" move from Bologna. Heck, they even have their workers on strike for the moment..

The 1098 is cheaper in the USA than the Norge !!! Can you believe that ???

Piaggio does need to find a way to get aggressive here in the USA. I know it's quite a different market from Europe, but there is lots of potential here if Piaggio/Guzzi can get it together.

An MGS bike powered by the new 8v engine would be a no-brainer. It would sell out quickly if priced in the $15k to $16k range.

Guzzi also need to get the new 8v motor into the Griso and Norge.

The 1200S is a nice improvement on the Breva, but I think Piaggiao is making the right decision, If they have something else to offer, like a Griso Quattro Valvole.

But what we really NEED is an MGS01 styled bike :grin:

It would also be nice if we could approach BMW performance <_>

Guzzi is nearly ten years behind BMW, but the Quattro Valvole 1200 could narrow that gap.

I agree , but no signs of making a sporty bike with a 8V motor. Instead what it sems to be is that they will replace the existing ones , i.e. Griso and or Breva or 1200S with this new machine (IF it ever gets out) and call them new models.

The 1098 is cheaper in the USA than the Norge !!! Can you believe that ???

Piaggio does need to find a way to get aggressive here in the USA. I know it's quite a different market from Europe, but there is lots of potential here if Piaggio/Guzzi can get it together.

An MGS bike powered by the new 8v engine would be a no-brainer. It would sell out quickly if priced in the $15k to $16k range.

Guzzi also need to get the new 8v motor into the Griso and Norge.

I agree on your point though seems to me highly unlikelly to get a MGS sporty set up bike in the market (as future based on till now company policy seems ) Though very likelly to get a new motor on the existing "bandits" Griso and co. Piaggio and co have to understand that no matter how many "bandits" they release it is a sporty bike(more or less...PS) that can give some edge to a company, you see BMW as understood tat and upgraded it's line.

But then again what do I know :huh2:

I too would love to see a MGS 1200 8 valve. A new V12 LeMans would be cool too.

FWIW Raptors and Rockets says Guzzi is getting back into the "adventure bike" market:

"The Stelvio or Adventure bike project is a 100% go Moto Guzzi exclusively confirmed to us. Moto Guzzi will not only launch one new Adventure bike, but two. One 850 with the 2 Valve engine from the Breva and one 1200 with the new 8 Valve V-twin engine. Main changes from any current Moto Guzzi motorcycle is the new handling characteristics required for an Adventure touring bike. This involves a brand new frame. My Moto Guzzi insider told me that the new "offroad" bikes will be very different from the BMW GS and Triumph Tiger 1050 (those two are already quite different...), but more Tiger than GS. That translates to a more road biased Adventure bike than the benchmark GS. "

The logic of a 500+ pound dirt bike with cylinders sticking out the sides escapes me but BMW seems to sell lots of them. If true I hope they are a hit for Guzzi.

The "more road biased Adventure bike than the benchmark GS" leaves me cold.

Basically, that means it's just another streetbike, probably another derivative of the Breva/Griso/Norge.

:yawn

I hate to spoil or your excitment re the 8 valve motor but I bet no running example exists, it's just another Guzzi prototype. After 30 years of riding Guzzi's you get used to factory boasts but we all know the reality. Poorly assembled motorcycles with shocking paint finish and peeling chrome!

Poorly assembled motorcycles with shocking paint finish and peeling chrome!

OK , Guzzis are not Bentleys so there are some quirky stuff there, but ussually not bad,the bad paint subject(and some other can of worls) is only with the Apriliesque Guzzis, no problem with my SportCorsa and AFAIK never seen peeling of paint on 30yr old lemans'

As far as prototypes go, they have also said much earlier that an MGS street legal would be released, so yep,if I don't see it I won't believe it , and even then I'll think twice about it.

I agree that Guzzi should be shooting for the MGS-02 type bike ala the 1098 .Maybe not the all-out performance of the Duc, but in the ballpark,more comfortable,a shaft,lower maintenance,and ooh may be liquid cooled.21st century mechanics,classic Italian looks.

Most people agree the MG01 is beautiful and the V11 is a great looking roadster in the classic Guzzi styling.Cant say thats true for the Black Breva .Some like it ,a lot don't.Although mechanically going in the right direction the styling isn't.And that is a big part of why a lot of Guzzi owners buy MGs because of their sexy-classic looks.

Humm,A Guzzi Faith Hill is what I want,..Sexy,Fun,Reliable,I can dream cant I?