3rd/4th South'n Spine Raid 2007/08

docc

• 3 weeks later...
No outstanding warrants? :glare:

I hear Phillip's is a good place for motorcyclists, yet I'm still thinking there may be a better place. Especially if the group expands again.

Input from the North Carolina and East Tennessee members is most respected. . .

If you can stand the traffic, you may find what you are looking for at exit 49, Athens.

George in TN (east)

george,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, we stayed at the Super8 there year one. It was pretty entertaining once we found out it was the weekend haven for all the cowboys and their hussies from neighboring counties!

Another rider suggested the Grand Vista near Vonore: tellicowest.com

• 3 months later...

Although I rode up the plateau and back this weekend (275 miles), the temperatures have now turned off much colder and it looks like we'll get winter in spite of it all. The time is then nigh to consider a ride in the late spring. The South'n Spine Raiders have begun to stir and the ride is just four months or so away.

Again, this is not a rallye. Some folks with Guzzis (and a few other bikes) end up in the same place at the same time and some travel the same roads. No trophies, no vendors, no fee, no leader. Rolling anarchy. :rasta:

The motel that served as flypaper the last couple years has apparently folded after the neighboring Cracker Barrel moved. We'll check closer into the place in Vonore.

The date is likely the last weekend of May or the first weekend on June. This should firm up in the next few weeks.

I'll have to say this has been one of the most enjoyable groups of people I have ever shared a parking lot with. :mg:

The dates have firmed up for May 30-June 1. the Grand Vista Hotel in Vonore, TN, looks to be a really nice place. Looks like the rooms come at $89.95 which includes a full breakfast/laundry/WIFI. I'll be calling the management to see if they can apply a discount since there will likely be several of us. :mg:

As usual, several of us will head out Friday morning the 30th from Columbia ,TN, and take backroads to Vonore (217 miles). :race: :race:

The dates have firmed up for May 30-June 1. the Grand Vista Hotel in Vonore, TN, looks to be a really nice place. Looks like the rooms come at $89.95 which includes a full breakfast/laundry/WIFI. I'll be calling the management to see if they can apply a discount since there will likely be several of us. :mg:

As usual, several of us will head out Friday morning the 30th from Columbia ,TN, and take backroads to Vonore (217 miles). :race: :race:

I'd like to make the ride with you guys and see somebody eles on a moto guzzi if anybody is comong through Arkansas. Just let me know @ slickem12@yahoo.com my name is Billy.

Last year Nose2wind (david) came from Texas.

Otherwise, you could ride over to Columbia, TN, and head out with us from here. There were three or four guys who stayed at exit 46 on I65 by the Cracker Barrel. I'll have to check on the name of that motel again.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this link for making a reservation at the hotel :

Tellicowest Resort

Sorry, she said no discounts unless we have 10 rooms. We might, but we won't know 'til we get there. I recommend hooking up with room mates to defer costs.

They do sell beer/wine on premises. There is no restaurant or bar, yet a hot breakfast is served with the price of the room.

Closest liquor store is 15 minutes north in Maryville, so come prepared.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to make the ride with you guys and see somebody eles on a moto guzzi if anybody is comong through Arkansas. Just let me know @ slickem12@yahoo.com my name is Billy.

I'm up in NW Arkansas, I've been thinking of taking a road trip somewhere. I'd have to see if I have the vacation time though. I can also think of 2 more Guzzi guys in AR that may be interested.

Dave

I can write you all notes that you require oxygenation and vibrational therapy with copious application of appropriate libations. The note only works once . After that , your sig-oth'r/employer has caught on that its just some ruse to get you more motor-minutes.

We have SNOW tonight . . .but there is promise of spring and , really, the South'n Spine Raid is not that far off!!

I can write you all notes that you require oxygenation and vibrational therapy with copious application of appropriate libations. The note only works once . After that , your sig-oth'r/employer has caught on that its just some ruse to get you more motor-minutes.

We have SNOW tonight . . .but there is promise of spring and , really, the South'n Spine Raid is not that far off!!

Just made reservations at the Vonore Ritz you recommended. ;)

Kathi is (almost disturbingly) excited about this outing. I can only attribute that to that ageless tool: the margarita or whatever it was she had (several of) on Friday and Saturday nights. What she remembers of the gathering she remembers fondly. :rolleyes::drink:

Seriously, docc, we do look forward to this, as it's always a fine ride and "rally." Because of eldercare duties and limited leave time (and money!), probably going to do less riding this year, at least of the long-trip variety. Headed to Davis, W.V. early next month and hope to spend a few days ranging from there on the super roads of W.V., Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

As long as I am back on this board for a moment, I'll add that I sure miss the Ballabio. But, the Norge is fine, indeed, very fine. Have 17K miles and very little of that on the slab. Put a new Hyperpro shock on the rear and now center-stand grounding is a thing of the past. A much more planted ride in hard curves. Great stuff. :race:

See you in May.

Bill

That Norge , with you and your Significant Pillion, are one of the chief reasons I think *riding* is one of the last bastions of genteel dedication.

What would we do otherwise? Tilt at the windmills of our lives? My adversaries are less than worthy. Let them squirm in the buttery quagmire they have created for themselves. The briefs and narratives, reviews and submissions . . .

I am overly ready for the road, the horizon, and the challenge of The Machine, The Weather, and The Road.

OK, well and the the Single Malt, the Grappa, and the relentless discussion of how my oil lines are ill-routed . . .

• 4 weeks later...