3rd/4th South'n Spine Raid 2007/08

docc

Just made reservations at the Vonore Ritz you recommended. ;)

Kathi is (almost disturbingly) excited about this outing. I can only attribute that to that ageless tool: the margarita or whatever it was she had (several of) on Friday and Saturday nights. What she remembers of the gathering she remembers fondly. :rolleyes::drink:

Seriously, docc, we do look forward to this, as it's always a fine ride and "rally." Because of eldercare duties and limited leave time (and money!), probably going to do less riding this year, at least of the long-trip variety. Headed to Davis, W.V. early next month and hope to spend a few days ranging from there on the super roads of W.V., Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

As long as I am back on this board for a moment, I'll add that I sure miss the Ballabio. But, the Norge is fine, indeed, very fine. Have 17K miles and very little of that on the slab. Put a new Hyperpro shock on the rear and now center-stand grounding is a thing of the past. A much more planted ride in hard curves. Great stuff. :race:

See you in May.

Bill

I made my call for a room today. If nothing happens to spoil it I will see you all in May. Bill, just trying to arrange "Visitation" for you with the Ballabio. Tuff job owning the "community" Ballabio.

Joe in Atlanta

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

2003 Buell Blast hers

I promise we'll keep our tool rolls away this time. We'll use those stanchions like they do at the opera. Pinkerton Men, even. No really, you're safe bringing it.

The police hardly ever haul anyone away from these events. . . :o

• 2 weeks later...

Four weeks out. Some may have found other accommodations nearby. Nonetheless, the Friday and Saturday evenings on the tarmac perusing these V11s is priceless.

I'm thinking we should take temp readings on the rear drive and the main regulator fuse. And perhaps earlobes and neighboring dwellers. It would probably be bad form to check temps on the bomb squad that showed up last year . . . :o

Hello to all South'n Spine Raider's

I will regrettably not be able to make it this year!!!!

Derek (my son) and fellow Spine Raider (even though on a Triumph) is getting married the weekend of the raid. He and his lovely fiancé have changed the date a few times and have screwed my plans to hell and back, but I have to be the good father that I am and will be there. Just kidding, they are great kids with a lousy sense of planning! Oh well what the hell there will be alcohol!!!! I will have some Peroni's stashed somewhere for myself and will raise a toast to the mighty Spine Raiders!!! If you guys lose your way and end up down in Alabama crash the wedding!!! Food, wine and beer for all, and a little Grappa for the chosen few!

I wish to all that attend this year’s raid a great time and safe riding! Also, when you see a blue light in your mirrors, pull over and let the good officer bye!!!! docc!!!

Also, since my riding year has been shot to hell, as in almost no riding and there are many more obligations coming this summer. I have put my Cafe on EBay, the wedding was just the last straw. I also put my Triumph on as well. I am going back to only having to care for one bike. A bike that is yet not decided upon. I will start shopping as soon as these two sell. The wife says she needs more comfort! I see a Norge in my future, so all is not lost!!!!

See you Guzzistas next year if not sooner!

Safe riding!!!

David

Judging by the Hagan-Factor, I would say the Norge is not spineless!

And then is there is the Barber's Vintage event in October. Without you you we would freeze and die. But . . . it's your conscience . . .

Judging by the Hagan-Factor, I would say the Norge is not spineless!

And then is there is the Barber's Vintage event in October. Without you you we would freeze and die. But . . . it's your conscience . . .

You know, docc, "crashing" [so to speak only, of course :wacko: ] a wedding has some "raider" charm. Plus, it is within striking distance of SE Tennessee and the roads are quite fine in that part of Alabama. Even better, we could bring back some bridesmaids for the post-raid party. Oh oh, Kathi's with me. I think my plan is flawed. :unsure:

Seriously, David, sorry you won't make it, but a wedding is an excuse, not merely an explanation, for missing this great annual ride. As the father of three daughters and a son, I will also say that "father of the groom" is easier to take on many levels.

Congratulations to you all. Stop by the GarageMahalo when next in Atlanta. Grappa and other bottles await.

Bill

docc, There is always a pit stop at my place for a rider of 2 wheeled vehicles!!!! Call ahead for warm food and cold beverages!!! I even give good directions for getting here. And I will give you directions for leaving here (even ride with you for a ways) but I can not help you when you get lost on your own.

Thanks for the support Bill! if you want to crash, RSVP and I will send directions!!! I know Derek would get a kick out of it! We are going to have a casual outdoor wedding so a Moto Guzzi or two will fit right in.

Later!

David

Some GPS coordinates could make this dangerously interesting. Of course you could deny all knowledge of the intrusion . . .

Just a note... there may be another Norge (I think I'll nickname it the Maytag) at Spine Raid this year.

More news to follow... I'm hopping on a silver bird in the am to head to places unknown, people unknown and, of course, things unknown. I do know I'll be riding back on a silver maytag down skyline drive, blueridge, etc., making my way towards the Burkesville rally. I'm hoping to get the longest distance award!!

Later, taters!!

Congratulations to Derek and his bride to be, the best of luck to them.

Hear, hear!

Tho' Vonore would be a great place for a wedding and reception. We can move the bikes back a little so there's room in the parking lot. I'm sure she'll understand . . .

Friday morning looks like side-stands up at 0900 at the Cracker Barrel I65, exit 46. We'll go some 220 miles over the Cumberland Plateau to the hotel at Vonore , near Knoxville.

Let me know if you are coming in Thursday night so some South'n hospitality can be arranged. :bier:

Every day my Sport gets hungrier for the road. Today I thought she would siphon off all the air in middle Tennessee just to swallow up the road ahead . . . :race:

Friday morning looks like side-stands up at 0900 at the Cracker Barrel I65, exit 46. We'll go some 220 miles over the Cumberland Plateau to the hotel at Vonore , near Knoxville.

Let me know if you are coming in Thursday night so some South'n hospitality can be arranged. :bier:

Every day my Sport gets hungrier for the road. Today I thought she would siphon off all the air in middle Tennessee just to swallow up the road ahead . . . :race:

Kathi and I expect to launch from here a bit later in the a.m. ... eldercare issues, "I can't find that special m/c trip hairdryer, Bill," issues, etc. ... meaning c. 10. It's 150-200 there, dependng on deviations which are the only certainty of the ride up (and thewhole weekend).

See you in Vonore late afternoon.

Will bring appropriate bottled wet stuff, and hoping for none from above. Seems we always get some serious thunder booms on these raids, but that makes the waterfalls better the next day!

Looking forward to this always-great event.

Bill

Right now it looks like three silver Guzzis leaving here Friday with a Ducati in tow (if I can keep him in sight).

With you and your former Ballabio (JoeGuzzi), that should make for the quiet, tasteful un-event we've come to expect. And with the venue changed from last year, it should take the cops that much longer to find our parking lot hangout. Maybe not 'til Saturday night. :lol: