Ducati Sport vs Moto Guzzi LeMans

orangeokie

It´s something I´ve been mentioning since this classic series arrived from Ducati, and that is that Moto Guzzi was at least 5 yrs ahead of Ducati, with the V11 Sport, a remake of sorts of the V7 Sport.

M.G. has made an alarming mistake by stopping production of this series, as evidenced by the brisk sales of Ducati´s classic series. There was no research and development needed to keep them going. Just keep it simple, and offer more variety for the potential owner, at a reasonable price, just like Ducati.

We will see.

Ciao, Steve

Like Van, I think this is exactly right. Moreover, the V11 is not a replica of anything: it is a development of the original V7 Sport; the Ducati is a conscious effort to cash in on the Ducati bevel-drive heritage by producing a look-alike, but not a development of it.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't like the Duke, but I don't see anything in the current Guzzi range I would rather have than my V11.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very true especially if you like fat ladies. :whistle:

Yep I would agree, tastes are tates but truth is truth, The V11 seems to me a bit fat lady as well, compared with most Guzzis through-out the Guzzi history(i.e. from Airone to 1100iSport....now that's a slim silouette on a motorcycle) , and under some study that seems to be truth as well.

Like Van, I think this is exactly right. Moreover, the V11 is not a replica of anything: it is a development of the original V7 Sport; the Ducati is a conscious effort to cash in on the Ducati bevel-drive heritage by producing a look-alike, but not a development of it.

Well we can say that from the Ducati with the 999 series or the 1098 , it is their developement of their sport motorcycles back in the and 70's , starting from the pure breed 750ss.

The replica they did (and well not my cup of tea) is just a remake of the oldies they got,with some modern

technology improvements they could fit in.(i.e. brakes,or wheels and suspencion,ect.ect.)They wanted to make a look alike , their developement is done over and over.

In this section , no developement from Guzzi in Sport-supersport bike however in some years now. And I won't concider the 1200S as a sport developement from Guzzi.

As far as V11 goes to me is more like an Apriliesque Guzzi which though original in some terms, is trying to get it's routes from the past.

Something is wrong with that design, cafe racer's reminised tail in modern design and the tank though

has a couple of guzzi lines , it is brought up to be like an Aprilia. Don't belive me? Look at an Aprilia RS 250 and then at the V11 and you'll seee what I mean.

Thank God Guzzi has came up with an original ,artistic design (more or less nice to some taste but that's not my point), the Griso,and the 1200S as I see it has some strong personality in shape, though a bit "fat a$$" story as well.

Yep I would agree, tastes are tates but truth is truth, The V11 seems to me a bit fat lady as well, compared with most Guzzis through-out the Guzzi history(i.e. from Airone to 1100iSport....now that's a slim silouette on a motorcycle) , and under some study that seems to be truth as well.

Well we can say that from the Ducati with the 999 series or the 1098 , it is their developement of their sport motorcycles back in the and 70's , starting from the pure breed 750ss.

The replica they did (and well not my cup of tea) is just a remake of the oldies they got,with some modern

technology improvements they could fit in.(i.e. brakes,or wheels and suspencion,ect.ect.)They wanted to make a look alike , their developement is done over and over.

In this section , no developement from Guzzi in Sport-supersport bike however in some years now. And I won't concider the 1200S as a sport developement from Guzzi.

As far as V11 goes to me is more like an Apriliesque Guzzi which though original in some terms, is trying to get it's routes from the past.

Something is wrong with that design, cafe racer's reminised tail in modern design and the tank though,

has a couple of guzzi lines , it is brought up to be like an Aprilia. Don't belive me? Look at an Aprilia RS 250 and then at the V11 and you'll seee what I mean.

Thank God Guzzi has came up with an original ,artistic design (more or less nice to some taste but that's not my point), the Griso,and the 1200S as I see it has some strong personality in shape, though a bit "fat a$$" story as well.

Your Aprilia 250 comparison is certainly valid: I hadn't looked at the resemblances there before. The modern replica Ducatis are closely related to the Pantah design, true. I still think there is a more direct line from the V7 to the V11, though, than from the bevel drives to the Duke replicas.

Actually, I'm changing my mind about the replica Dukes since I saw a photo of Paul Smart aboard a replica Imola replica in one of the comics......maybe, anyway.

. I still think there is a more direct line from the V7 to the V11, though, than from the bevel drives to the Duke replicas.

Actually, I'm changing my mind about the replica Dukes since I saw a photo of Paul Smart aboard a replica Imola replica in one of the comics......maybe, anyway.

Well there certainly is.ome direct line to the Guzzi.It is a different developement than the repl.dukes which are more like "remakes" of the old combining some new technology.

At the other side I would expect something more from Guzzi in terms of design in their new bikes,(without this meaning that what is already there isn't any good , but I believe it could or should be better)as expressed in my previous post

A friend of mine sold his Stone and got one of the GTs. I think it's very nicely done. It is satisfyingly fast, looks great, runs really well, and is even easy to work on (I worked on it successfully, even though I've never worked on any Duc before). I judged it to be as nicely made and well though out as any motorcycle I've ever seen. Ducati has come a stunningly long way in a relatively short time. It's Guzzi's turn, now. We've just got to get TPG to up their percentage of ownership in Piaggio to over 50 percent and kick a few asses, as they did with Ducati.

I've contacted rossopuro once and alpina twice about these beauties. Last I heard they said the first part of this year. The longer they take the more the price rises. :huh2:

They're here!

28.jpg