Won't be over there till Sept., but the memory of supping rough cider with my uncle at his local, down in Wells 10 yrs ago has me missing this rather Saxon drink. I've basically got free accomodation in northwest Essex, [steeple Bumpstead] , and will be hanging out with family in and around St. Ives, Camb.. We'll also be hanging out checking for ghosts at my gramp's, great gramp's, great great gramp's local, etc, the Old Ferry Boat in Holywell. The Ferry Boat doesn't have scrumpy either.

So, can you guys give me an idea of an above average public house, of above average vintage, and a free house, that you could rate as possible for this littlwe mission of mine? Cheers!

Ciao, Steve

Hi Steve

Hopefully some of the guys closer to Cambs will be able to advise you of some decent pubs.

You will find that most ciders served in pubs will be popular draft dry ciders like Strongbow, or bottled ciders like Magners which is normally served in a glass full of ice.

Scrumpy is often harder to come by, but I know of 2 cider farms that could either send you some, or maybe advise you of a local retailer:

Westons is just down the road from my brother. We popped in there a few weeks back and boght a couple of crates of their vintage organic cider which is very pleasant and quite strong.

Perrys cider farm is in a village in Somerset close to where my grandparents lived, and I used to love going there as a kid and tasting small measures from the barrels, and watching all the local farmers turn up with huge plastic vats which they filled with flat scrumpy for very little cost- not sure what it is like now because I have not been for years.

I also bought a bottle of English Apple Brandy from Westons- which is basically Calvados but they can't call it that because it is not made in Normandy.

Have a great visit- maybe you could hop on a ferry at Harwich and visit the V11LeMans 5th anniversay bash in the Netherlands.

Cheers

Guy :helmet:

P.S. Just found this link

Guest redguzziv10

Guy is right about the best scrumpy being sold from "farms", and the best farms are over in the west country.

I pop into Perry's, mentioned above, every year on my way to the Glastonbury festival. Two eight pint flagons of Brandy Cider just about sees me through the weekend. That's one shot of Brandy per pint!

If you get a chance to travel that way, try some pear scrumpy, it'll give you fond memories for the next 20 years :P

Having said that, the best real ale in the world is made in East Anglia, :drink: so check out some of the local breweries instead. I think you'll like !

ps i know there was a thread on here a while ago about local beers, but couldn't find it

Scrumpy ???

Ohharrrre matey!!!

that be some fine supping you'd be talk'n bout then :drink:

l lived and worked in Bristol a life time ago and got taken out, REALLY taken out, by my work mates, one of the worst hangovers as l recall, where the stuff came from l don't know, but it was refered to as rough, or farmers scrumpy, l just sort of remember it going down easy, was not clear, but cloudy, didn't taste anything like l thought apple cider tasting like and then loosing a whole lot of brain cels real fast :grin:

enjoy!!

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Guest redguzziv10
l just sort of remember it going down easy, was not clear, but cloudy,

Nah, they refine it nowadays.....

by refine, i mean they take out the bugs, and some of the bigger twigs.

Steve, try this site, might give you a little more info www.ukcider.co.uk

Won't be over there till Sept., but the memory of supping rough cider with my uncle at his local, down in Wells 10 yrs ago has me missing this rather Saxon drink. I've basically got free accomodation in northwest Essex, [steeple Bumpstead] , and will be hanging out with family in and around St. Ives, Camb.. We'll also be hanging out checking for ghosts at my gramp's, great gramp's, great great gramp's local, etc, the Old Ferry Boat in Holywell. The Ferry Boat doesn't have scrumpy either.

So, can you guys give me an idea of an above average public house, of above average vintage, and a free house, that you could rate as possible for this littlwe mission of mine? Cheers!

Ciao, Steve

Which Holywell? I know of two. There must be more.

Guest Mattress

I didn't really know anything about cider. But when I lived in Australia it was my girlfriend's preferred drink if I was getting pissed on beer (I preferred VB). I only really drank it when I was in Germany. Its a nice change, but I remember it gave me a spacy buzz. :drink: