Questions re Sport Cafe

joe camarda

Very brief intro: Active member from about 02 thru 05 when I had a V11 Sport and my member number was #25...don't expect that I'll be remembered for anything, but possibly my member sponsored (thanks everyone) little league baseball team in 04.

Anyway, to the matter. Ive been lurking here still even though I sold my 01 V11 Sport and bought/sold a 96 Honda VFR and 06 Ducati Multistrada 620 which I still own. So as a "lurker" I've maintained (from a distance) my love of the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport and am considering buying another. I'm most interested in a V11 Cafe Sport which I believe was only available in 04 and 05 (?).

I'm hoping that someone can provide some insight re this model.

1. Is there a difference between the two years? (compression ratio or other difference)

2. Is there anything different about the Ohlins forks as opposed to other Ohlins?

3. Are there any issues I should know about re this model? Such as flaking paint, or trannie problems?

4. Has the overall quality of Moto Guzzi changed in the past several production years?

5. Lastly...Are the Scura, Scura R and the Coppa Italia essentially the same bikes as the Sport Cafe, but with a different color scheme?

Thank you in advance for any input, not necessarily limited to above, offered.

Hi Joe, welcome back.

The ohlins after the scura have a different setup.

they should be ok, all problems solved

>Scura R and the Coppa Italia essentially the same bikes as the Sport Cafe, but with a different color scheme?

Yes for this list, not the first scura, that has dangerous clutch, flaking paint, gearbox spring problem.

Last years are the same, they had enough in stock to put a new paint on some leftovers to create the scura R

Joe, welcome back.

FYI, Sean at Atlanta Motor World has a Coppa on consignment, really, really, clean. Can't have more than 7500 miles on it. Might be worth a call. If I wasn't in negotiations with she-who-must-be-obeyed to purchase a Funmover type rv for junior's burgeoning motocross carreer, I'd be all over it.

Phil P

Atlanta GA

OMMIGOSH! JOE!

Just shows to go ya that none of us fell very far from the tree. I don't know how you can really replace that trick Sport of yours. The later ( '04/'05) Sports were probably more refined, fitted and mannnered than the early RedFrames. They have a more relaxed ride and gentler riding position. That and the Ohlins option certainly give you a more forgiving platform than the early Sports.

Fly to Atlanta, buy the Coppa and stay at my house in Tennesse on your way home. I'll write you a note saying you'll be late. Epizootics or something . . . :drink:

Guest Mattress

I bought an 04 Cafe Sport last June from the dealer in Atlanta. I rode it back to Chicago that weekend. I did a few more trips during the summer, I think I have about 3500 miles.

I've had no problems with mine (knock on Ikea simulated ash). I haven't dialed in the suspension yet. that will happen this spring.

Welcome back Joe! I hope you kicked yourself good and hard for getting rid of that nicely done Tri Color sport! (those interested in a ti color paint scheme would do well to look a Joes former sport) What a nice looking bike, in fact I hijacked a pic of your old sport to include on my screen saver.

1 no

2 no

3 pretty well sorted out from what I have heard

4 yes it has

5 not sure on this one

waspp

I'm hoping that someone can provide some insight re this model.

1. Is there a difference between the two years? (compression ratio or other difference)

2. Is there anything different about the Ohlins forks as opposed to other Ohlins?

3. Are there any issues I should know about re this model? Such as flaking paint, or trannie problems?

4. Has the overall quality of Moto Guzzi changed in the past several production years?

5. Lastly...Are the Scura, Scura R and the Coppa Italia essentially the same bikes as the Sport Cafe, but with a different color scheme?

Thank you in advance for any input, not necessarily limited to above, offered.

1. No 2005 spineys in the USA.

2. '03/'04 Ohilins was improved from the Scura.

3. Haven't really heard about them on the '04 bikes. Some '02s/'03s had shifter return problems.

4. '04 production quality on the V11s seems better than '02.

5. Scura is different from Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport. Suspension, clutch, engine paint. Scura R was not available in the USA.

FWIW, the LeMans Rosso Corsa and Nero Corsa are the same spec as the Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport, but with the addition of the fairing and clip-ons.

Hey Joe,

Where you goin' with that tang on your stand?

(

:grin:

Maybe he was goin' downtown to scoot his old guzzi...

edit- or perhaps he was goin' downtown to get a new relay...

Thanks all for the advice and warm "welcome back"...maybe somewhat premature as I've still got to figure out how to do this. Can't afford the beating I'll take selling my modified Multistrada 620 (which is not a real high demand bike anyway)...so everything is kinda in the "conceptualization" :nerd: stage right now.

But, as they say, "from the smallest of thoughts spring the mightiest of actions" <_>

ducatibmwtankbag012.jpg

Thanks fo rthe lead P3GA and for the lodging offer Docc, but the Coppa isnt exactly my cup-o-tea and I would probably end up re-painting it.

I would appreciate any other leads...maybe even someone interested a arranging a swap for my Multistrada.

TIA, :rasta: