After the first really nice day out this year I decided to celebrate (no, no riding, too much sand and gravel on the road still) and have a couple margaritas. My tequila of choice is Monte Alban Mescal con gusano (with worm). The smooth, smokey flavor brings back memories of nights spent 'round the campfire after a long days ride in the deserts east of San Diego. :drink: Since I drained the bottle I was once again faced with the delema of what to do with the worm..................

173338.jpg

Never have gotten the urge to eat it myself so I gave it to the dog. :P:

181109.jpg

Anyone out there eaten one? :food:

Guest ratchethack

I worked with a guy who had married into the Sauza family and owned and managed a small agave plantation in the Tequila region in the mountains above Guadalajara. His wife was a descendant of the original land barons who lost nearly everything in La Revolucion. He used to bring in this stuff in bottles without labels that he said was simply, 100% BLUE agave Anejo. Shots as smooth as silk that (I swear) had a kick and an effect like no other alcohol I've ever had before or since. :whistle: He claimed that some of it went as high at $80 - $120 USD per bottle. He said the "good stuff" never has the worm. None of his stuff had the worm, nor does my bottle of Porfidio 100% blue agave Anejo, not to mention my shelf bottle of Sauza Conmemorativo 100% agave Anejo, which he considered campesino grade!? It's a bit of an acquired taste, no question about it. Though in my case, I found it didn't take all that long to acquire. :sun:

If I remember correctly, real Tequila has to be 100% BLUE agave "by law" aka by mordida. ;):whistle: In Oaxaca, it can be some other grade, but cannot be labeled Tequila, only Mezcal, but must have NO sugar cane content to have 100% agave on the label. And of course, we all trust wot's on the label of everything we get from Old Mexico. ;)Yeeeeeholay! :drink:

(snip)

He said the "good stuff" never has the worm. None of his stuff had the worm, nor does my bottle of Porfidio 100% blue agave Anejo, not to mention my shelf bottle of Sauza Conmemorativo 100% agave Anejo, which he considered "campesino" grade!? It's a bit of an acquired taste, no question about it. Though in my case, I found it didn't take all that long to acquire. :sun:

I'll be over one of these days Ratch. Love to try the real stuff. (Damn, did I just invite myself)? :blush:

I'm sure the worm is a gringo thing. :vomit:

Just the smell of this stuff instantly removes me to a hotel room in Oaxaca, back to a scene not likely to be repeated (nor fit to be shared). I favored the El Famoso brand at the time.

Raw and nasty has it's place, but the refined stuff from Del Maguey (w/o worm) is interesting too. They offer a story of the worm...

http://www.mezcal.com/worms.html

And no, I haven't eaten any worms, though did eat (and liked) the smaller version of the chapulines (roasted grasshoppers) sold in the market.

ya gotta chew the worm. well worth the effort. then again i have a bottle of scorpion mezcal reposado. with just 5mm left in it, just enough to cover the scorpion.mmm been here close to 12 months..but ''scorpion''

must be dead. one day!

c"mon...weren't you ever young?

Tequila.....the only mind altering thing I ingest...then rarely..

well there was that bottle of Patron last week....

having had several episodes of tequila [mezcal] episodes in my life. i still believe that you're much better off the next morn.

than you would be after after a heavy one on spirits...''never add that sugerey syrup''

drink straight, and only! 1. 2. 3.4 ! :drink:

That's not a worm- this is a worm- well a decomposing rattlesnake actually. I took this photo whilst on a stag do on Mexico- the barman poured us all a long shot which was full of scales and bits of dead snake- but it was free alcohol so I can't complain!

Wedding010.jpg

Of course one must understand that Mezcal is not Tequila, but Mezcal. Mezcal is but a poor cousin to genuine Tequila, which must be made with 100% Blue Agave cactus nectar and only from the Teguila district in and around the city of Tequila, in the province of Halisco, Mexico. Tequila has 3 basic ranges of quality, or aging, the first being basic Tequila, aged in barrel after 3 months. The next stage of quality, Reposado, aged from 3 months to 2 yrs. The third, Ajio, the finest quality.

Remember, Tequila was a study learned from the Germans in the early stages, and the proper description for this beverage is Agave Schnaapps. There are examples out there of extremely high quality, where you don't need the salt on the back of the hand and the lime to down the stuff. It can be savoured nicely as an after dinner finisher in high regard.

Mezcal? Well, it's the basic green agave rot gut. The worm is a larve that lives in the green agave, eating and shitting it's whole life away, chewing the corns of the plant. :drink: Cheers buddy. I wouldn't serve the worm to my worst enemy.

Ciao, Steve

I gotta bottle,whatcha doin tonite big boy? :D:D

BTW,in the last couple of days I worked my way thoru a 40 ouncer of best Islay malt.

for a while I ws nearly seein worms.Strongest whisky i evr had,cam out the back door :whistle::thumbsup: