GB to limit motorcycle top speed. (Longish)

dhansen

LONDON (Reuters) - Powerful motorcycles could have their top speed capped to try to cut the number of riders killed in accidents, an influential group of MPs said Thursday.

Electronic speed limiters, already fitted on some scooters and high-performance bikes, could be required by law if the government adopts the committee's ideas.

"Motorcycle accident rates are far too high. They have been for 10 years," the House of Commons' Transport Committee said in a report. "It is time to consider radical action to tackle this problem."

Many "superbikes" with large engines have devices that restrict top speeds to 186 mph (300 kph). The committee did not suggest a top speed limit.

A total of 569 motorcyclists were killed and nearly 6,000 seriously injured in accidents on Britain's roads in 2005, according to Department for Transport figures.

Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph.

However, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) said it would be difficult to use the law to limit the power of motorcycles.

"I have a lot of sympathy with having a top limit on the speed and power of motorcycles and cars," said Kevin Clinton, RoSPA's head of road safety.

"Although when the EC ... proposed a 100 brake-horsepower limit on motorcycles, they were not able to get it through because they could not show any real reduction in risk from that."

The committee said the government should commission research on speed limiters to "stimulate a sensible debate" on the issue.

"A case was made to the committee for limiting the speed of the more powerful motorcycles, though some technical issues still need to be resolved," the committee said.

The committee said it appeared to be government policy to encourage greater use of motorcycles, despite concerns over safety and the environmental damage.

"This may be another argument in favor of reducing the maximum power and speed that is available on these vehicles," the committee reported.

The Motor Cycle Industry Association says road safety can be improved by better training, changing attitudes and improving roads rather than just focusing on speed.

Technology that interferes with a rider's control could be dangerous, it says.

The Department for Transport had no immediate comment.

Dang-

Big Brother sure has a firm grip on the UK.

:nerd:

So acquiesce, and accept the 186 mph limit on all factory street bikes.

:race:

It would be a shame if this ever became a law, but the 186 mph limit is a figure that should be acceptable by most.

:bike:

I am an active member of the Motorcycle Action Group and have been following this story quite closely.

Basically, the speed restriction proposal is one of several recommendations from the Transport Select Committee to try and reduce motorcycle casualties which have been in increasing in volume year by year, partly due to the increasing popularity of motorcycling. In terms of casualties per kilometer ridden, the trend has actually been decreasing.

At the moment, the Minister For Transport is against the idea of fitting speed limiters to either cars or motorcycles and this proposal is merely a recommendation by the transport select committe so it is not yet close to becoming implemented. Excesssive speed is said to be the major cause of only 4% of accidents so limiting speed will not make a major reduction in motorcycle casualties.

Even though speed limiters are at present just a suggestion, if you ride a bike in the UK please do not be dismissive of this threat. Organisations like MAG are representing YOU and trying to look after YOUR rights. They have employed a full time campaigns officer David Short who is an ex Chief Superintendent from North Yorkshire Police, and he carries a lot of credibility in the corridors of power in Westminster. Out of interest David is an Italian bike fan and has owned a Guzzi in the past.

MAG would be even stronger if they had more members- membership is increasing as more riders look to protect their love of motorcycling and if you want to enjoy your current levels of freedom then please join up.

Money well spent at £20 per annum and you can join online.

Are you going to bend over, drop your trousers and take it up the arse or are you going to do something positive to help prevent stupid proposals like this getting off the ground?

Guy :helmet:

I've been planning on joining our national organisation for a long time but this finally made me do it. They work on European level too. It seems we need these unions for many reasons.

:race: My rpm limiter (let's call it an electronic device) along with the gear ratios effectively limits my bike to 240 km/h -_-

:2c: I'd say that abillity to accellerate frenzy is a bigger danger than top speed.A limmited HP bike will have less "tedency to accident" than the same bike with 50% more PS.All that of cource concidering correct enviroment (street condition , others drivers' attitude) as well as riders' training and ability and attitude(being the same in both occations-bikes).

Unfortunatelly lattely, the motorcycle industry world had very few to offer in terms of ridability improvement and offer mostly more PS as an improvement feat in their "new" models.

ABS has been around for some time as well as excellent suspension systems and othre braking systems but how many companies are using those in their default bikes? FEW.

And as everyone is raving when a bike comes out with XL HP, offering track bikes with street use, bike press is "cultivating" the future "victims" of the "track bike " desease.

Same goes for cars

I've been planning on joining our national organisation for a long time but this finally made me do it. They work on European level too. It seems we need these unions for many reasons.

I'm a member of the dutch branch and from what I recall Paul too. Respect to the people who voluntarily spend a lot of time to look out for us. :notworthy:

I'm a member of the dutch branch

..I'm glad to see that Simon Milward's views continue to live on.

stephen plowden has a good point. and to further help, a man could once again walk in front with a red led lantern, this would be more earth friendly than the old oil lamp, and so help to reduce GW. :D

The real problem is that mototcyclists are easy targets. Of about 3500 fatalities on UK roads (one of the "best" statistics in the world, taken on a "per mile travelled" basis) nearly 600 are on two wheels. Compared to a very low statistical useage number, probably well down in single figures. That disproportionality shoves our collective heads above the parapet to be shot at.

Factors such as user experience level (most of the fatalities are young or new returners) actual cause of the accident, etc are ignored as they "confuse the issue".

If politicos really wished to reduce fatality figures (the numbers have barely changed in 20 years or more, although that does not take into account the huge increase in traffic density - that's me confusing the issue) they would impose the high level of training on car drivers that learner motorcyclists undergo. Anyone passing the present motorcycle tests is a bloody good rider.

Anyone passing the present motorcycle tests is a bloody good rider.

I would have to disagree. Standards even as they stand are really rather low. It's just the car test is even easier.

Keep holding out guys !!!!

somehow , the french government managed to get a 100 HP cap on all bikes through and in the current climate on getting tough with anything and anybody ( except corrupt politicians which means about all of them here...) you can fined an awfull lot of money for derestricing / tuning ...possibly even get a jail sentence. :bbblll::bbblll: Not to mention the hassels trying to import a foreign bike ...

Guest Nogbad

Dammit I want to make the decisions as to whether I risk death. Who are these nannying busybodies to tell me how safe I should be. Death gets you in the end, and I would rather run the risk of dying younger after a lot more fun, than surviving a boring 'elf 'n' safety proscribed life only to expire slowly drooling and pissing my pants at age 90 or whatever.

These fecking politicos just got no sense of priority