Bubbling Engine Paint Service Bulletin

Although I haven't personally seen the following memo, I heard from a dealer in Houston that MG has issued a memo to dealers in the last month detailing what will be done with the 2002 bubbling/peeling paint issue.

There are two options:

1) The dealer will replace the engine cases with new "fuzzy" black paint to match the transmission, etc, that supposedly will not deteriorate again. This warrantee work by default will only cover the engine cases, and not the oil-pan nor front cover. However, it is apparently worded that the dealer has the discretion to change these as well, as needed. One downside(other than the obvious disassembling of a perfectly good running engine) is that the shop is only allotted 12 hours labor. While the factory may be able to reassemble an engine well within this time-frame, a shop that rebuilds whole engines infrequently may find this a losing proposition. So expect some dealers to push option 2..

2) Option two consists of allowing the customer to choose one of the following accessory packages, and sign a waiver releasing MG from any further warrantee claims on the engine paint. As MG probably makes quite a bit of margin on these accessories, and along with the aforementioned small shop-time budget, many dealers will undoubtedly steer some customers to this option.

Per the bulletin,

6 accessories options, (no substitutions please)

1. Granraid pants and jacket

2, Matching mens & womens Race leather jackets

3. Hard saddlebag kit(EV and Stone)

4. Leather saddlebag kit(EV, Stone, Spec sport)

5. Carbon fiber access. kit(V11 Sport/Le Mans)

6. Soft luggage kit(tank bag/tail pack and parcel rack-V11 Sport and Le Mans)

So, if you are suffering from the engine paint problem, you might want to get the process rolling now. I have no idea about these new cases' availability, but personally I'd like to get this done over the Winter. So I'm inquiring now.

al

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jeff Kelland

This is pretty much what my dealer suggested the outcome would be a couple of months ago. I'll have to call them again and see what they say. I'm not so sure I want someone working flat rate on my engine. Nothing on the list here seems to interest me though. Decisions, decisions, ............ :blink:

My advice (and no,I do not have a black engine so it is easy for me B) ) is:

1 - take one of the accesories options and,

2 - sandblast your cases clean and spray with alu paint to have pre '03 look.

This way you will end up with this showcase beautiful engine properly exposed like it should be plus some nice accessories.

Guest Jeff in Ohio

The whole situation sucks. Many of the newer dealers (mainly multibrand) have not been trained on getting that far into a Guzzi and motor and do not know the tricks to taking things apart (like the rear bearing flange) without causing possible damage. I do not blame a dealer who tries and steer a customer to option 2 as they stand to lose money for something that is not THEIR fault. Also, the dealer (untrained and inexperienced remember) is being asked to accept responsibilty for the motor after it is re-assembled. If I were the guy working on the bike, that would be a hard pill to swallow - accepting responsibility for something you have never seen done or been formly trained to do. I'm sure many dealers (I'm refering to the multibrand) have fine mechanics, but each different type of engine has it own little quirks. The dealers should insist on MGNA offering a training class for technicians that will be diving that far into a bike. They should also PAY the expense for the technicians to travel to and attend such a class to encourage attendance. Guzzi complained about their dealer network in the latest issue of Motorcyclist, it's about time they did something about it. Train the mechanics! The Jap guys and Harley require and offer factory training, why can't Guzz?

One option that requires work on the part of the owner would be to remove the engine and take it to the dealer sans bike. This would go a long way to establishing a could relationship with the dealer and would make him feel less rushed to do the job. This is a very difficult decision to make. MG is heading for a pretty damn big PR nightmare on this one. Nothing like pissn' off the customers and the dealers all at once..........

Guest Jeff Kelland

I actually considered taking the engine out myself or even offering to pay the dealer the differance to do a thorough repair job, as I understand the position the dealer has been put into by MG. However I really don't feel that I should be responsible for this any more than the dealer is. This really does suck for all of us involved. I really am finding that the more I ride this motorcycle the more I like it. I may just wait as long as I can ( my paint issue is documented) and see if there is enough backlash from the dealer network and customer base to make MG consider stepping up to the plate. If dealers start to bail out I believe it could spell real trouble for us as customers however. Worst case is I am stuck with a motorcycle with peeling engine paint, wrinkle black in a spray can if I have to I suppose. If I'm going to pull the engine it's going back in silver, trans and rear drive too! Maybe I'm talking myself into matching leather jackets? for now I'm going to ride the hell out of it and see what happens. :helmet:

Guest JEB758

I personally think this problem is a bunch of B.S. MG should be responsible for the repairs of our motorcycles. I have given this some thought since my first service last month (my dealer explained to me what the options might be) and I really think “Option 2” is a rip off.

I really hope everyone have given this some thought and realize what your engine will look like in 6 months or a year if you don’t make MG fix it. Is you bikes engine looking like sh#@ really worth saddlebags or a jacket?

Most if not all of us paid over $10,000 (U.S.) for these motorcycles and shouldn’t have to settle. I want my Scura looking the same way as the day I bought it. Is this our fault they failed to properly prep the engines before adding the wrinkle finish?

Aside from the carbon package on my 02 Scura the main draw, for me anyway, was the fact almost everything is black including the engine. Regarding my dealer completing the repairs, I’m not too worried about it; he has a great staff who is very dedicated and knowledgeable about Guzzi’s.

I hate to use this as an example, but if any of you own a BMW M3 then you know (this happened in the US, I don’t know if was worldwide). BMW has recalled several late model years for an engine defect. They are currently in the process of replacing entire engines in cars due to this defect.

Is this ground for a class action lawsuit?

Just venting,

J. Bee

Is this ground for a class action lawsuit?

Well since MG has apparently made a good-faith effort to offer two alternatives to address the issue, including something similar to the BMW solution, I don't think a court would even give this suit merit. I could be wrong, but as much as I agree with several complaints, legally I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on. But then again, IANAL :lol:

In general, I think both options are reasonable, and yes I believe that option two is thinly disguised to entice owners to choose something much less costly for MG or the dealers, but we've got to keep in mind that MG is a business, and in this to make money and stay in business.... bottom line. So this doesn't really surprise me, and from that perspective I can deal with it as long as they provide other options, which they have(#1).

And I personally agree that the most prudent option to choose(as far as making the bike "right") is option number 1(replacing the cases).

Could MG do it better, per many suggestions here and on various lists, such as using a central engine rebuild facility, etc... sure. And who knows, maybe over the next year as this is actually implemented, they may modify their procedure. This is another reason, along with convenience, that I'm going to wait to act on this until mid-Winter... after they've "done a few" of them :unsure:

I surely empathize with those that do not have a local dealer that is proficient in the engine rebuild, or Guzzis at all, and indeed that seems to be a risky proposition. Perhaps you could convince your dealer to write a joint letter to MG asking them to ship your motor to the nearest experienced shop? I think that this is a reasonable request in the case where no local MG dealer, or one that has extensive engine rebuild experience, is available.

I tell ya, even though my local dealer says "no problem, we rebuild an engine every couple months", I'm still nervous cracking a perfectly good running engine... and having them pull it from the frame :blink:

But that's how it goes. At least I am relieved to hear that there is finally an official solution, and maybe I can "scratch this problem from my ever shortening list" of issues. Honestly, once this is addressed, the only things left for me to complain about(so far) are mostly of my own creation(mods) ^_^

al

Guest Jeff in Ohio

It boils down to the fact that Guzzi neads to train their dealers better before asking them to undertake this massive issue. Plain and simple. A dealer should not have to ship the motor to a more experienced shop. The company I work for just purchsased a very very very large bearing company based out of Connecticutt. They have a person that drives cross country 9 months out of the year in a van with the product training distributors and customers on how the product is made, how it is applied, and how to identify and prevent failures. Sure such a program is expensive, but it makes for happy well informed/trained ditributors and even happier customers. It is a part of doing business. All 4 Japanese makes, Harley, and probably BMW all offer and require factory training. Guzzi should do the same. If you wanna play with the big boys, you have to start acting like one! Harley is currently having issues (quietly) with some '02 models that had casting flaws. In some cases they have replaced entire engines rather than spend the time to replace just the case (where the flaw is). Also, there are several folks on a Harley site that have had their cases replaced for engine paint problems recently. Difference is, the guy doing the HD work is factory trained while the MG guy is not..............

Guest dkgross

I haven't had a chance to talk to Dave at Moto International yet about this, but I will be very curious as to what he says. I feel confident that if someone has to rebuild my bike, I'm glad it's Micha and Jason at MI.

I'm also going to wait till mid-winter to do anything. I've got some pretty ugly bubbling and stuff, but, if I don't wash the bike, I don't notice it as much :)

besides...if the engine is being rebuilt...gives me an excuse to put the Mistrals and Stucci on, eh? Carl's pipes sure do sound good..... :P:

Difference is, the guy doing the HD work is factory trained while the MG guy is not..............

I hear ya, and don't disagree.... but a lot of it depends on the shop as well, not just MG. My shop just sent all their techs off to some MG school for a week just a month ago. So it does happen.

I guess it just depends on the shop. There may or may not be any requirements from MG on basic certifications required though, I have no idea.

That being said, caveat emptor.... and to my previous point, the reality is that some shops may not do many engine rebuilds(even if they are properly trained) so if that is your shop, maybe they can work something out with the nearest more experienced shop to do the work for them. Just a thought.

al

Guest Jeff in Ohio

I heard that the 'training' last month was supposd to be a 2 day tech thing on the Breva. It ended up being a 1 day tech thing on the Breva that a dealer ended up taking over. So a one week tech school last month by MGNA? That's news......

Guest Brian Robson

I don't get all the fuss. The paint blisters, but it runs great, leaks no oil and I love the bike. Take one of the options, ride the bike, and blast the engine in ten years when it is still running long after other brands have rusted apart. Its no big deal really. Save your adverserial and litiginous passions until you need them.

Guest Marcel

Just spoke to my Dutch dealer in this regard yesterday....

In Holland, most bike shops don't spray due to all kinds of legal issues (poisonous fumes etc). So they have to farm it out to a specialty shop. The specialty shop of my dealer said that one way of getting angry customers was to spray the engine as MG suggested......

So he says: I'm fighting the importer, and the importer is fighting MG.

Great stuff isn't it :angry: I'll check whether I can get one of the other options ....

I don't get all the fuss. The paint blisters, but it runs great, leaks no oil and I love the bike. Take one of the options, ride the bike, and blast the engine in ten years when it is still running long after other brands have rusted apart. Its no big deal really. Save your adverserial and litiginous passions until you need them.

Brian,

While I can certainly respect your pragmatic approach to this issue, for many of us, this defect in a brand-new motorcycle simply isn't acceptable and must be addressed by the manufacturer.

Like many people, I paid well over $10k for this motorcycle, and it was my first new *anything*... and in fact the most I had ever spent on a vehicle in the past was a used truck, at $7k ^_^

So, when I decided to buy a new vehicle, I was quite excited, and wanted to be rest-assured that it wouldn't give me any trouble. So when this defect, among others, arose.. . yes, I was and am disappointed.

I don't think any of us are litigious(I am certainly not), but I think we have a reasonable claim with the manufacturer for the paint failing within a year of purchase, and with less than a year of warrantee coverage left.... we have to be proactive and drive resolution.

Perhaps one day I will "blast" the engine and make it black again, or even silver... who knows. But I don't want to have a leprous looking engine between now and "ten years" on what is essentially a brand-new bike.

For me, I unfortunately can't be that pragmatic <_ ...nor honestly in this case do i think we should have to be.>

I'm glad to hear the issue, from a cosmetic standpoint, isn't terribly concerning for you though. I'm far too "anal" to get past it :lol:

al

Guest Jeff in Ohio

I'm with Al on this. I admit it, I am f*cking anal about the appearance of my bike. Always have been, always will be. Ever seen anybody buy a new gastank for a 1974 Honda CL200 because they didn't like the original one on it....... in 1992!! Tha would me be. Yep, I bought a brand new factory painted tank for an 18 year old machine just to make it look good. even got new exhaust sheilds, repainted parts of the frame motor, added new sidecovers, badges etc. I've always kept my bike pristine while riding the hell out of them. It bugs the shit out of me that the cosmetics of this thing went to shit in less than a year........