2004 Ballabio vs. Cafe Sport

zen_kick

New member...first post!

I am on the verge of selling my long-cherished SAAB 9000 Aero to finance my first V11 (have a redone '74 LAPD and figure it's time to move to the modern age).

For roughly the same money I have the option to pick up either a new 2004 Ballabio stock, a used (~9500mi) 2004 Cafe Sport with motobits controls, titanium exhaust and a rack or (for slightly less) a stock 2004 Cafe Sport that's a bit scratchy and raggedy (only ~4500 miles) with a warranty.

For those who have owned/ridden both (or anyone with an opinion really ;-} ) any recommendations or things to look for?

Also are Ohlins really *that* much better?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mattress

New member...first post!

I am on the verge of selling my long-cherished SAAB 9000 Aero to finance my first V11 (have a redone '74 LAPD and figure it's time to move to the modern age).

For roughly the same money I have the option to pick up either a new 2004 Ballabio stock, a used (~9500mi) 2004 Cafe Sport with motobits controls, titanium exhaust and a rack or (for slightly less) a stock 2004 Cafe Sport that's a bit scratchy and raggedy (only ~4500 miles) with a warranty.

For those who have owned/ridden both (or anyone with an opinion really ;-} ) any recommendations or things to look for?

These questions are always hard to answer, because.....drum roll....."It kinda depends on what is impotant to you"............

I own an 04 cafe sport. Bought it knew. I love it. Is new important to you? Than go the Ballabio. I don't know as to if the Ohlins suspension that much better. I think the 04 ohlins equipped bikes are better sorted than early ones for spring rates or whatever. But many here are happy with their non-ohlins bikes.

What really matters is getting the suspension set up properly and if you have anything like 170lbs + body both need some set up work and the early non-ohlins bikes might have needed new springs.

Now.... a matter of controversy for some.............you're in Seattle so it might not be a big deal as moto international is there, BUT, word on the street is getting warantee work covered by Moto Guzzi is spotty.

So, I'm not so sure a warrantee is really meaningful unless you got a good dealer.

The titanium exhaust is worth $$ as are the motobits. But you can do just as good with a home brew (Stucchi cross-over & Staintunes....my favourite) exhaust and you can always buy the motobits later.

As everyone will tell you 9500 miles is "nuttin"

How was that for useless advice?

P.S. for any of your choices you'll probably find: a) the bikini fairing makes a lot of turbulence; B) the stock seat is Sadam-brutal after a few hours.

New member...first post!

Having owned an 04 Lemans with standard suspension I would definately lean toward the 04 cafe sport with the tit exhaust, especially if it's the MG exhaust kit which now sells for $1550 new. The ohlins suspension is superior to the standard suspension of the ballabio. Even though the stock cafe sport you are considering may have less miles and some warranty left I would choose the one that has had better care. I would not be afraid of 9500 miles but make sure you get the stock parts, you may not like the motobits controls. The stock pegs are excellent. I really like the cafe sport. It is much better looking than the Ballabio. The Ballabio is boring. How much money we talkin about? Good luck.

....."It kinda depends on what is **impotant** to you"............

Now the doctor said if I take these pills regularly it shouldn't be a problem for me and my wife anymore. She hasn't been saying things behind my back has she? ;-}

Seriously:

Thanks for the detailed advice. I far exceed your 170+ weight limit so the dialability of the Ohlins is pretty attractive. I haven't heard the titanium yet and aesthetics hold alot of sway for me when picking out bikes so maybe it's a case of hearing and doing a comparison ride (my wife's suggestion by the way).

Moto International is my shop of choice - they did a ground-up resto of my LAPD when the chrome cyclinder liners shredded and made mincemeat of the crankcase. Having such a good shop relatively close is definitely a bonus and they have always taken good care of me. Warranty I think is pretty safe with them.

BTW

Box score vote tally so far:

Ballabio = 1

Cafe Sport = 2

New bike, Ohlins and tit exhaust (I'm going with the cafe sport just so I can say that all the time - funneee) have an advantage over hard stock seat. Split decision on stock vs. motobits pegs. I have to say that test riding a Ballabio a few months ago really pushed me towards finding something lower and farther down - especially with the higher bars.

Anybody who has ridden an Ohlins shod bike will tell you the ride is better than the stocker.

Saying that, the 43mm Marzocchis are pretty good out of the box in comparison with the earlier 40mm forks, so the Ballabio will be a nice bike.

But if you prefer quality over "newness" then buy the Cafe sport.

Guy :helmet:

Another vote for a Cafe Sport here. Does MI allow test rides? Any chance of contacting the previous owners of the used bikes? If so maybe you can get some service records, ask about oil and fluid changes, and find out if the oil light ever came on. <_>

Between the two Cafe bikes I'd lean toward the cleaner one with the motobits controls and Ti exhaust. 9500 miles is just about broken in.

I vote for the used bike with all the goodies on it. Someone that spent that much $$ on the bike probably took very good care of it & besides 9500miles is nothing for a Guzzi. If you buy the new one its going to have at least that many miles on it next year anyway & no goodies that mean resale value when you decide to sell it.

Zen:

I work at MI and know all those bikes pretty well. I know the previous owner of the used Cafe, too. He was at my house on Monday. I also have a 74 Eldo and an 04 Ballabio that I upgraded to Ohlins.

Here's my advice: Buy a Cafe Sport. The Ohlins are worth it, especially if you respring them for your weight.

So, which Cafe Sport? I'd buy the used one. Here's why:

I'd trust that the bike is in top shape because the owner is a gentle rider (he traded it in on a Norge) and the bike has been maintained by MI. 10k miles is nothing.

It has a lot of "the right stuff" already on it: Guzzi Ti exhaust, Throttlemeister, Motobits, aluminum Guzzi rack, and even has a custom seat from Rich's. This seat raised the seat height, so if you are tall, that's an added plus.

Zen:

I work at MI and know all those bikes pretty well. I know the previous owner of the used Cafe, too. He was at my house on Monday. I also have a 74 Eldo and an 04 Ballabio that I upgraded to Ohlins.

Here's my advice: Buy a Cafe Sport. The Ohlins are worth it, especially if you respring them for your weight.

So, which Cafe Sport? I'd buy the used one. Here's why:

I'd trust that the bike is in top shape because the owner is a gentle rider (he traded it in on a Norge) and the bike has been maintained by MI. 10k miles is nothing.

It has a lot of "the right stuff" already on it: Guzzi Ti exhaust, Throttlemeister, Motobits, aluminum Guzzi rack, and even has a custom seat from Rich's. This seat raised the seat height, so if you are tall, that's an added plus.

If you don't want to take Greg's advice, maybe you should be looking at Hondas? LOL I have an 04 Sport Naked, and it's a great bike. The riding position is sporty, but not back breaking, even for my 50 year old back. Joe

If you don't want to take Greg's advice, maybe you should be looking at Hondas?

:stupid:

Can't argue with that!

If you are considering ANY Guzzi, especially one from MI (or one that will be serviced at MI), why not listen to the horse's mouth?