2004 Ballabio vs. Cafe Sport

zen_kick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having owned an 04 Lemans with standard suspension I would definately lean toward the 04 cafe sport with the tit exhaust, especially if it's the MG exhaust kit which now sells for $1550 new. The ohlins suspension is superior to the standard suspension of the ballabio. Even though the stock cafe sport you are considering may have less miles and some warranty left I would choose the one that has had better care. I would not be afraid of 9500 miles but make sure you get the stock parts, you may not like the motobits controls. The stock pegs are excellent. I really like the cafe sport. It is much better looking than the Ballabio. The Ballabio is boring. How much money we talkin about? Good luck.

I too have the cafe sport and can't speak highly enough re. the Ohlins suspension and steering damper. btw, just where can I order the MG exhaust kit? I assume the one you reference is the one with the Guzzi wings on each can and comes with a new ECU? Thanks, John :mg:

I too have the cafe sport and can't speak highly enough re. the Ohlins suspension and steering damper. btw, just where can I order the MG exhaust kit? I assume the one you reference is the one with the Guzzi wings on each can and comes with a new ECU? Thanks, John :mg:

Didn't those come with your Cafe Sport (if you bought new)?

Or did they only come with the Coppa Italia?

:huh2:

I have my set of MG Ti cans waiting to be put on this year... when I get a round to it...

Don't ask why I didn't have the dealer install them.

Congratulations fellow Ballabioisti ! :D

Yet another coined word I must appropriate! Reminds me of Phlebotomist.

Ballabio has been a pleasure so far. I managed to fit in about 100 miles in between rain showers in the past week, my eldest boy has been after me all week to take him for a ride and all visitors to the house have expressed appropriate admiration for the lines and color scheme of the bike. Oh, and I managed to already buy about $400 worth of accessories to upgrade ;-}

Once again, thank you all for the warm welcome to the community.

Didn't those come with your Cafe Sport (if you bought new)?

Or did they only come with the Coppa Italia?

:huh2:

I have my set of MG Ti cans waiting to be put on this year... when I get a round to it...

Don't ask why I didn't have the dealer install them.

Only with the Coppa Italia.

BTW

Box score vote tally so far:

Ballabio = 1

Cafe Sport = 2

New bike, Ohlins and tit exhaust (I'm going with the cafe sport just so I can say that all the time - funneee) have an advantage over hard stock seat. Split decision on stock vs. motobits pegs. I have to say that test riding a Ballabio a few months ago really pushed me towards finding something lower and farther down - especially with the higher bars.

Make that 3 CS. I love mine. Lots of little extras but my favorite is M4s and power commander. Ohlins are it!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vikingbike

I have the Cafe and don't regret a bit!

NEVER hesitate on buying a CAFE SPORT over a BALLABIO. The Ohlins are a must-have for this bike, especially if you are at all agressive in the corners. Just admit that you will never be able to justify adding the Ohlins later...

BTW, I also have [had] the SAAB sickness. At last count, in a 20 yr period I have owned 25 Saabs, mostly Turbos (900, 9000 and 9-5), of which 3 were Aeros: 93 9000, 94 9000 and 00 9-5. I still have 3 900's I am trying to put together to make one good one!

Philippe :mg:

Interesting update to the decision.

I dropped off my new Ballabio at MI last week about 300 miles late for the 600 mile service (not intentionally, just made the appointment and then fit in a couple hundred more miles in between). As a loaner, they let me take the used Cafe Sport while working on my bike.

So after driving the Cafe Sport for a couple of days, the overall feel is more solid than the Ballabio has been - not sure if it's the Ohlns, the heavy throttlemeister bar weights, tit exhaust tuning, the more stretched-out position with the motobits footpegs and higher custom seat or just a by-product of having nearly 10k on the motor.

That said, I realized after riding a couple of days that the custom seat is too high, the titanium cans sit at an angle that will make it difficult to ride two-up with my older boy and I still don't like the brown valve covers and wheels. On the upside, I love the throttlemeister - too bad it comes down to a choice between that and the CRG bar-ends. Bar ends win for the wider viewing area and lower profile.

I pick up the Ballabio on Thursday and it will have been re-tuned, motobits added, bar-ends and heavier weights applied and - oh yes - new Michelins all around due to killing the rear Metzler running over a nail in the construction zone that is my front yard.

I'll give an updated comparison report once I have a few days on the upgraded bike. And pictures too once I find a camera that works...

Ohlins set in Cafe Sport is superb...magic carpet..plus you don"t have to adjust anything

It"s set up on the soft side a little, but that makes it perfect all around.

When I bought my Cafe Sport (new), the price difference over the Ballabio was 1200E

and that was liitle money for all the extras you get...plus ...I like the colour scheme

Picked up the Ballabio last week (and dropped off the Eldo - sigh, will it never end). World of difference between the new tires, longer footpeg/controls *and* clutch lever adjustment. I hadn't realized it but the pulling point was pretty far off the grip. I didn't notice since the borrowed Cafe Sport was adjusted the same way. I got the bike back with the pulling point just off the grip and driving is a totally improved experience.

I liked it so much in fact I briefly considered getting rid of my old 76 /6. The Ballabio is nearly as comfortable - I just need to install touring grips and a cruise control.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Borrowed the Cafe Sport one last time while the Ballabio was getting a new fuel pump. Now that I have some time in on both bikes I see the benefit of the tit exhausts and Ohlns. Ballabio feels less solid - higher exhaust note and slightly bumpier ride. Of course I don't have he suspension dialed in yet...

Rumor has it that the Cafe Sport will be sold soon. Hope the new owner digs it. I can say I have no regrets.

• 2 months later...

Greatly enjoy this thread and it brought me to a question that i will non the less soon resolve. has anyone road the ohlins vs the white power suspension,,ie centauro and 1100i. ive got a v10 and switched the tires to the new avon storms and i LOVE the way it handles. ive recently struck a deal on a scura but wont have the bike for a few weeks. just curious of others opinions of the comparison of the two.