MAGNI fairing

BrianG

Anyone KNOW how much lower the clipon's end up, as compared with a V-11 Sport??

While we are at it... Is the handle bar position any different between the V-11 Lemans / V-11 Sport versions?

Hi Brian,

To your first question, The Magni kit has a lower reach than the 1999-2001 V11 Sport. As absolutely lovely looking as the Magni kit is, and how it positively transforms the look of the bike, the reach down would be not to my liking. Add to this the fact that with the fairing installed, any chance of wind supporting your torso a bit at speed, to give the wrists a break, is not good.

To your second question, it's not so much the difference in handlebar location between the V11 and Lemans, but all post 2001 bikes have a different set up than pre 2002. Pre 2002 bikes have the bracket location under the top triple tree. Post 2001 bikes have the attachment location above the top triple tree.

Ciao, Steve

Well that's no good.....

I have a Magni kit here but it's still in the box.

I want some wind protection so I'm looking for something to graft onto the bike... Perhaps a VTR or SV 1/2 fairing??

Hi Brian,

To your first question, The Magni kit has a lower reach than the 1999-2001 V11 Sport. As absolutely lovely looking as the Magni kit is, and how it positively transforms the look of the bike, the reach down would be not to my liking. Add to this the fact that with the fairing installed, any chance of wind supporting your torso a bit at speed, to give the wrists a break, is not good.

To your second question, it's not so much the difference in handlebar location between the V11 and Lemans, but all post 2001 bikes have a different set up than pre 2002. Pre 2002 bikes have the bracket location under the top triple tree. Post 2001 bikes have the attachment location above the top triple tree.

Ciao, Steve

I like the looks of the Magni myself,though whether I'd ever get round to buying one is a different matter.Steve,could the brackets not be slotted or somehow raised a bit?

Greetings:

It has been in my experience with the Magni kit that the (much) lower riding position does take some getting used to, but once done I've found it reasonably comfortable even for touring. Unfortunately the bracket that I have which attaches the fairing to the frame has broken, and I've done the past 2000 or so miles on the bike with the Magni clip-ons installed but with no fairing for wind protection. I find it much nicer with the windshield in place. What I am not quite impressed with, however, are the quality of the clip ons that ship with the kit, and as such I'm looking to replace them with something a little more robust.

Leaving the factory controls in place with a Magni fairing would, if I recall correctly, require a re-working of the bracket which supports the rear portion of the top of the fairing. (much like the bracket on the Paul Smart 1000). Were this to be (modified / adjusted / reworked somehow) then you are left with only 2 constraints-

the angle at which the controls leave the bars (to avoid your levers being pushed in by the fairing at full steering lock) and the ultimate height of the clip on itself (to avoid the controls hitting the top of the gap in the fairing itself). I've experimented with this, and having just machined a new mounting bracket for the fairing once I get the shield mounted back on the bike I can find out exactly how much clearance there will be.

Currently I have the magni clip-ons installed under the top clamp, and to do this properly required the raising of the forks in the bottom clamp almost an inch.

I haven't seen my V11 in a little over 3 months now, I should be reunited with it in a few weeks and I'll be able to get some hard dimensions

I haven't seen my V11 in a little over 3 months now, I should be reunited with it in a few weeks and I'll be able to get some hard dimensions

That would be great!

Searching around the hard drive I've come across this picture that sort of illustrates what I mean... My bike was equipped with the high bars from the factory. It seems to me that if the support brace were re-engineered there'd be room to do almost anything control-wise. perhaps some ingenuity might even eliminate the need for the cross-brace altogether... once I am with the bike again I'll take another good look at it. In the meantime, here's the view from the saddle:

magnibracket.JPG